Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Building 400whp boosted gsr need help

Old 01-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jwaym24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Building 400whp boosted gsr need help

Name: JACOB

Hey guys need some help on building my boosted gsr...looking to go with about 20psi
have wiesco 9to1 pistons
ferea valves
need help on what rods and springs to go with and iff i should sleeve or block support.
buy sleeves and have installed or buy a 1000.00 sleeved block
and who near central virginia to do all the work
on a semi tight budget

gimme your ideas on what i should do

thanks
Old 01-08-2009, 02:22 PM
︻╦╤─

DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk
Default Re: Building 400whp boosted gsr need help

400whp on a GSR, sleeving is not necessary. Manley Turbo or Pauter rods. Ferrera, Brian Crower, SuperTech, Skunk2, etc. for the springs.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:19 PM
I drive a coupe

Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)

for 400 you can really use Eagle H-beams or Crower economy rods... You will make quite a bit more than 400 if you are running 20psi on a turbo that can support the air flow...

You should be able to make 400 on 15-16psi pretty easily with pistons/rods/cams/springs/retainers and a block guard...
Old 01-08-2009, 07:00 PM
ahhhh

split has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond reputesplit has a reputation beyond repute

are brakes any where in your financial budget?
I would buy the sleeved block, because sooner or later 20psi will become routine and you'll want just a little more...
Old 01-09-2009, 05:21 AM
Registered Member

thanks for all the help guys ...keep it coming i need alot of input on this one to make my decisions....who should i get to assmble? ANY IDEAS?
Old 01-09-2009, 05:21 AM
Registered Member

bump
Old 01-09-2009, 06:07 AM
︻╦╤─

DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk

Originally Posted by Hatch Man(GsR)
for 400 you can really use Eagle H-beams or Crower economy rods... You will make quite a bit more than 400 if you are running 20psi on a turbo that can support the air flow...

You should be able to make 400 on 15-16psi pretty easily with pistons/rods/cams/springs/retainers and a block guard...
I really would not recommend Eagle rods. Where do people yank these "psi" numbers out of? No turbo selection has been discussed, so it seems moot.

With a 400hp goal, I'm assuming he'll want something that is nice on the street. Though to toss a turbo into the mix, a GT30R .82ar or GT35R .63ar would probably suit you (the OP) nicely, the GT30R being my pick between the two.

One reason I recommend not going with Eagle rods is in several other posts of mine (just search them), though the fact of the matter is... I've yet to have a customer, friend, etc. content with a previously set "hp goal" when working with a GSR. As time goes on, "400hp" just isn't enough (plenty on the street but not at a track, etc.) and they want to do a simple turbo upgrade. Whereas, had they built entirely on the previous goal, they would have gone back to rebuilding the engine, upgrading the rods, etc, etc.

If exploring the possibility of doing this (ie. your budget is that "tight") I recommend saving up a bit more. When turbo'ing a Honda, one thing should be kept in the back of your mind if this is your DD.... things could break, will you have the money to fix the problem in time not to cause a problem with you getting to work, school, etc. Its very seldom for a business to care though, so don't expect to hear that sales pitch thrown at you.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:33 AM
Turbo VTEC-E

black6gen can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by DeFunk
I really would not recommend Eagle rods. Where do people yank these "psi" numbers out of? No turbo selection has been discussed, so it seems moot.

With a 400hp goal, I'm assuming he'll want something that is nice on the street. Though to toss a turbo into the mix, a GT30R .82ar or GT35R .63ar would probably suit you (the OP) nicely, the GT30R being my pick between the two.

One reason I recommend not going with Eagle rods is in several other posts of mine (just search them), though the fact of the matter is... I've yet to have a customer, friend, etc. content with a previously set "hp goal" when working with a GSR. As time goes on, "400hp" just isn't enough (plenty on the street but not at a track, etc.) and they want to do a simple turbo upgrade. Whereas, had they built entirely on the previous goal, they would have gone back to rebuilding the engine, upgrading the rods, etc, etc.

If exploring the possibility of doing this (ie. your budget is that "tight") I recommend saving up a bit more. When turbo'ing a Honda, one thing should be kept in the back of your mind if this is your DD.... things could break, will you have the money to fix the problem in time not to cause a problem with you getting to work, school, etc. Its very seldom for a business to care though, so don't expect to hear that sales pitch thrown at you.
Verry true. With a GT30R .82ar, 400hp is verry achievable with room for improvement. Wich takes us back to the build.

With 400 ponies with a turbo that is capeable of more, the hunger for more power and to go faster is going to be stiring inside u wheather u like it or not(its a part of our hobby,deal with it). Therefore building your engine to be capeable of this would be the smart route.

But definately get used to thee 400 before going any faster. But to sum up, plan on 450, build for more.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:46 AM
Registered Member

so what type of rods should i use then. I am using this not as a dd but as a toy for street and strip. I have a gsr trans i am planning to rebuild DSS axles and a set of MT street slicks. willwood brake upgrade with rear drum for now will do from what i hear. I have wiseco 9to1 pistons and ferrea valves (however it is speld). So i plan to use a stock crank oem honda head gasket water and oil pump and bearings. SOUND GOOD? but what rods? sleeve or block guard?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

so what type of rods should i use then. I am using this not as a dd but as a toy for street and strip. I have a gsr trans i am planning to rebuild DSS axles and a set of MT street slicks. willwood brake upgrade with rear drum for now will do from what i hear. I have wiseco 9to1 pistons and ferrea valves (however it is speld). So i plan to use a stock crank oem honda head gasket water and oil pump and bearings. SOUND GOOD? but what rods? sleeve or block guard?

Quick Reply: Building 400whp boosted gsr need help