Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Brake drag

Old 09-29-2004, 06:37 PM
I Sell Tires

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel
Default Brake drag

Ok i own a 91 240sx and my brakes were dragging hella then i replaced my rotors, and calipers and they still drag just not as bad. Has this happend to anyone elses 240? any idea what the problem might be?
Old 09-29-2004, 08:52 PM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear
Default Re: Brake drag

Could be any number of three things.

1) Frozen Slider. To check this unbolt one of the caliper bolts, roll the calliper up and take out the pads. put the calliper back down and the bolt back in. Try sliding the caliper back and forth on the sliders. If it doesnt really move then youve got a frozen Slider.

2) Frozen caliper. To check for this. pop the cap on your master cylinder first (ill explain why), and use a prybar/channel locks/C clamp to depress the piston in the calliper. If you have a pretty hard time making it press back in, then most likely the piston is froze and you need a new calliper. If you try and press the calliper in while the master cylinder cap is still on you risk blowing the master cylinder, not to mention making it harder to push the calliper piston back in.

3) Brake hose has collapsed. There isnt a really good way to check this. You have to unbolt the line from the back of the calliper, and let it bleed for a little bit. If it bleeds at a pretty consistant flow, and not slow and drippy then your line is okay, if its sluggish then it needs to be replaced. Brake lines should really always be replaced in conjunction with callipers...its extra security and one less thing to deal with in the future.

hope this helped.
Old 09-30-2004, 03:28 AM
I Sell Tires

Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel Spike_Spiegel

Originally Posted by gear
Could be any number of three things.

1) Frozen Slider. To check this unbolt one of the caliper bolts, roll the calliper up and take out the pads. put the calliper back down and the bolt back in. Try sliding the caliper back and forth on the sliders. If it doesnt really move then youve got a frozen Slider.

2) Frozen caliper. To check for this. pop the cap on your master cylinder first (ill explain why), and use a prybar/channel locks/C clamp to depress the piston in the calliper. If you have a pretty hard time making it press back in, then most likely the piston is froze and you need a new calliper. If you try and press the calliper in while the master cylinder cap is still on you risk blowing the master cylinder, not to mention making it harder to push the calliper piston back in.

3) Brake hose has collapsed. There isnt a really good way to check this. You have to unbolt the line from the back of the calliper, and let it bleed for a little bit. If it bleeds at a pretty consistant flow, and not slow and drippy then your line is okay, if its sluggish then it needs to be replaced. Brake lines should really always be replaced in conjunction with callipers...its extra security and one less thing to deal with in the future.

hope this helped.
if this post helped my fixed my car is it ok for me to say i love you?
Old 09-30-2004, 07:03 AM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

sure is