Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Boosting an LS Integra

Old 06-30-2010, 10:37 AM
ಠ_ಠ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
planb has much to be proud ofplanb has much to be proud ofplanb has much to be proud ofplanb has much to be proud ofplanb has much to be proud ofplanb has much to be proud ofplanb has much to be proud ofplanb has much to be proud ofplanb has much to be proud ofplanb has much to be proud ofplanb has much to be proud of
Default Boosting an LS Integra

Hi, I was wondering what all I will have to do before/to boost my Ls Integra. I've heard that a stock LS can take a turbo at low psi's because of compression ratios(?) or something, but I've also heard from others that I will need to upgrade my internals like cams, pistons, rods, etc. rather than just boosting it stock. I've googled the argument and still came up with both sides so I came here maybe hoping to get some advice from fellow VADriven members with turbo experience, so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. ( also maybe a price quote with about how much all this is going to cost with the different options [ I know it will be up in the G's] )
Old 06-30-2010, 01:02 PM
Shoryuken!

Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95
Default Re: Boosting an LS Integra

Originally Posted by planb
Hi, I was wondering what all I will have to do before/to boost my Ls Integra. I've heard that a stock LS can take a turbo at low psi's because of compression ratios(?) or something, but I've also heard from others that I will need to upgrade my internals like cams, pistons, rods, etc. rather than just boosting it stock. I've googled the argument and still came up with both sides so I came here maybe hoping to get some advice from fellow VADriven members with turbo experience, so any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks. ( also maybe a price quote with about how much all this is going to cost with the different options [ I know it will be up in the G's] )
Well, planb...

The first thing you ask yourself is what kind of power you're shooting for, and what you plan to do with the car, and what kind of budget you have to play with. If your LS motor is good & healthy, compression and leakdown wise, it can make pretty good power in it's stock form. My last Integra had a bone stock LS in it, made 304 whp, and I owned it for almost three years before I sold it. And never had a single issue with it. That number (300 whp) seems to be the general consensus number with stock LS motors, some people have pushed them farther than that, though, I wouldn't condone it. Beyond that is when you start looking at forged internals & head work.

The key is knowing your power goal, finding the CORRECT turbo to match that power goal, and finding a good, reputable tuner to meet that goal. Those are the three main recipes to a good turbo build. With that said, I'll let you chime in and let us know what kind of power you're shooting for, and I'll give you some suggestions on different size turbos, injectors & engine management.

And just to throw it out there...never base a goal on psi, base it on power. Psi, in most cases is irrelevant, as different size turbos make different power at the same pressure level. Psi is just the lever of pressure measured at the intake manifold & MAP sensor. It may take a little T25 turbo 20 psi to make 300 whp, and it may take a big GT-40R 10 psi. So remember...torque, high cylinder pressures & detonation is what kills motors, not psi.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:50 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

people are turbo charging integras now????????wtf is the world coming to?
Old 06-30-2010, 06:18 PM
ಠ_ಠ

planb has much to be proud ofplanb has much to be proud ofplanb has much to be proud ofplanb has much to be proud ofplanb has much to be proud ofplanb has much to be proud ofplanb has much to be proud ofplanb has much to be proud ofplanb has much to be proud ofplanb has much to be proud ofplanb has much to be proud of

well, Silva it looks like your Teg put out pretty good numbers? would it be possible to run the same setup yours had on a 99 LS engine with about 105,000 on it, and keep it running smooth for a good time?
Old 06-30-2010, 07:25 PM
WFT IS GOIN ON HERE

Jdm-Jason Jdm-Jason Jdm-Jason Jdm-Jason Jdm-Jason

Old 06-30-2010, 07:31 PM
tits anyone?

I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.)

well, Silva it looks like your Teg put out pretty good numbers? would it be possible to run the same setup yours had on a 99 LS engine with about 105,000 on it, and keep it running smooth for a good time?
105,000 isnt too bad. but to make the power he was making, and want your car to be smooth running for a "good time", I would just do a oem rebuild. As long as you can find someone who can rebuild it at a good labor rate, it's rather inexpensive.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Shoryuken!

Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95

My LS had a Precision SC-3431 turbo, which is the equivalent to the garrett T3/T04E 57 trim. It's a very responsive turbo, spool wise, and the .63 a/r exhaust housing held the power pretty good to my 7k rpm redline. Before that turbo, I had a Borg Warner 50 trim on it, which reached maximum pressure (spool) a little earlier, but you'll be happy with a 57. Do a compression check on your motor, and if the numbers are pretty consistent (15% or less difference), you'll be fine.

For that whp goal, I would go with RC 550cc's for injectors, which will support up to 350 whp on a B series engine. Staying with a high impedance injector, you'll have no need for a resistor box. Ebay bar & plate intercoolers are pretty good for a budget build, but stay away from their turbos (preferably SSAC), as they are VERY hit-and-miss, I haven't ran one, but alot of my buddies did, and I've seen some last years, and seen some blow the seals in two weeks. Same thing goes for their manifolds, the CLAIM they're made of 304 stainless steel, but the header diameter itself is narrow, and the metal is VERY thin, causing early cracks and I've seen wastegate flanges break clean off the merge collector.

Here's a rundown of my old setup:

Stock JDM B18B1
Innovative billet engine mounts
Precision 525cc injectors
Walbro 255 lph fuel pump
Chipped and socketed P75 ECU w/ Neptune
Precision SC-3431 .63 a/r (ceramic coated exh. housing)
Spoolin Performance A-spec tubular manifold
Spoolin Performance 3" downpipe
Thermal 3" exhaust
TiAL 38mm wastegate (0.7 bar spring)
Treadstone TR6 intercooler
HKS SSQV blow off valve
B & R oil line kit
Blox Pro manual boost controller
T1 vacuum manifold
Omni 4 bar MAP sensor

Last edited by Snoop 95; 06-30-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:30 AM
ಠ_ಠ

Originally Posted by Jdm-Jason
and thanks alot Silva, I'm pretty much new to the car scene so your advice is a ton of help
Old 07-02-2010, 05:06 AM
Shoryuken!

and thanks alot Silva, I'm pretty much new to the car scene so your advice is a ton of help
No problem, man.

Also, check out the Forced Induction section of Honda-Tech.com. They have have a big LS turbo thread in that section. Also, check out the Sponsor's Only forum on this site, and their site as well. Alot of good dealers in this area, and on H-T.

And...being that you're fairly new to the car scene, check out the Forced Induction FAQ's on H-T. There's a ton of insightful info. Read, read, read to your heart's content. The more you know, the better off you'll be.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:18 AM
ಠ_ಠ

oh and one more question, did you run off of like a stage 2 or 3 clutch or anything? i just put had a fresh OEM clutch put in about 3 weeks ago, should that be good?

Quick Reply: Boosting an LS Integra