Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

blue smoke

Old 01-17-2010, 10:04 AM
Pizza Delivery Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these parts
Default blue smoke

so i've been pissed of as all hell nowadays because my 1990 supra turbo has been pouring out blue smoke from the exhaust when i'm decelerating and at idle...could my turbo be shot and in need of being replaced/rebuilt or could it be another problem?
Old 01-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Function > Form

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY
Default Re: blue smoke

Originally Posted by supranite90
so i've been pissed of as all hell nowadays because my 1990 supra turbo has been pouring out blue smoke from the exhaust when i'm decelerating and at idle...could my turbo be shot and in need of being replaced/rebuilt or could it be another problem?
A few things can cause the blue smoke. Check your turbo first, gaskets and so on...
Old 01-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Pizza Delivery Guy

supranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these partssupranite90 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY
A few things can cause the blue smoke. Check your turbo first, gaskets and so on...
how would i go about checking them? is there a reputable shop/mechanics that would be willing to help me out figuring out the problem in NoVa?
Old 01-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

It's a 20 year old turbo car, so the turbo seals are always the first thing to check. Could be the rings too, but the rings usually have a much longer life than the turbo seals.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Pizza Delivery Guy

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
It's a 20 year old turbo car, so the turbo seals are always the first thing to check. Could be the rings too, but the rings usually have a much longer life than the turbo seals.
so do i have to take it to a turbo tech to get it checked out?
Old 01-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

b18b has disabled reputation

Generally since the event is during deceleration and seeing the age of the vehicle, I would suspect a faulty PCV, worn valve stem seals/valve guide clearance or oil control rings. I doubt it could be the turbo. I would do a leak down check to indicate rings are still good. Replace PCV since its rather cheap, then go into the big bucks work of replacing valves seal and so forth.

Last edited by b18b; 01-17-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Pizza Delivery Guy

well it does smoke under acceleration a bit also....any shops in NoVa that can trouble shoot this for me?
Old 01-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Dogs

BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR BlackGsR

Originally Posted by b18b
Generally since the event is during deceleration and seeing the age of the vehicle, I would suspect a faulty PCV, worn valve stem seals/valve guide clearance or oil control rings. I doubt it could be the turbo as during deceleration the wastegate will be open and directing majority of the exhaust gas out. I would do a leak down check to indicate rings are still good. Replace PCV since its rather cheap, then go into the big bucks work of replacing valves seal and so forth.
say wut? do you know what a wastegate does? The wastegate is only going to open when you have built up boost to the PSI of the spring, for example you have a 10 lb spring in your wastegate=the gate stays closed until your turbo is creating 10 lbs , then the gate will open letting all the exhaust out that would have powered your turbo to create more psi.

I would say it is the turbo seal. Also could be your turbo oil return to oil pan not flowing like it should and causing oil to back up inside turbo.

Last edited by BlackGsR; 01-17-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

b18b has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by H22A-DA
say wut? do you know what a wastegate does?
Ah yes I now caught that, sorry my memory with turbo equipment is a bit rusty... I stand incorrect on that portion. They bleed off the preset psi, I've must have mixed the functions of the BOV and the two together....

Anyway to the OP, during acceleration does it "pour" out blue smoke as well? I still think my assumption is right around what needs to be addressed.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:02 PM
Pizza Delivery Guy

it doesn't pour out as bad when i'm driving as when i'm just sitting at a light or just idling....its just really embarrassing and i want to get it fixed...

Quick Reply: blue smoke