Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

blown sub?

Old 05-31-2003, 08:58 AM
Drag757.com Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G32BTurbo G32BTurbo
Question blown sub?

So im driving down the road and notice that the bass isnt hitting as hard as it normally does and i suspect that only one sub is hitting. I get home and inspect the box and sure enough only the right sub is hitting. I checked all the connections and everything is fine. I was going to go back to bestbuy to see if they can find out what the problem was, but the left sub started working again.

So i drove around with both of them working for about a day and then the left one cut out again. I got out to look at it again and pushed the sub in and out and it felt normal. Then i grabbed the cap in the center and pulled outward and the sub started working again, then stopped. Is the sub blown?
Old 05-31-2003, 05:39 PM
PJ2
Registered Member

PJ2

A blown sub sounds almost like a paper bag being kicked around, it sound like to me that you have intermittent wiring going to that sub.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:56 PM
Banned

thelastmirage is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, how big of a amp do you have and what guage wire do you hve?
Old 05-31-2003, 10:14 PM
Drag757.com Alumni

G32BTurbo G32BTurbo

the amp is a sony 760watt 2 channel. i've got it wired one sub per channel. the wire is pretty thick i dunno the exact gauge. so what is intermittent wiring and how do i fix this?
Old 06-01-2003, 05:30 AM
PJ2
Registered Member

PJ2

Intermittent wiring is a loose connection that makes contact at random, it could be right at the terminals on the sub itself.
Old 06-01-2003, 12:44 PM
Blow Me

Stillpushin is an unknown quantity at this point

yup that sounds right to me just unscrew your subs from the box and reconnect all of your wiring. Should be fixed. Don't forget to check your connections at the amp also.
Old 06-01-2003, 04:11 PM
Drag757.com Alumni

G32BTurbo G32BTurbo

hm.. i unscrewed the sub, checked the wiring on the terminals, checked the connection on the box, and on the amp, everything seems fine. the sub still doesnt work though. its still doing that thing where if i pull it outward it works for a little bit then stops. should i just slash holes in them and get new ones from best buy?
Old 06-01-2003, 04:18 PM
3.5 Yo for the Go Go

B_Ryte_Back is an unknown quantity at this point

Youll be able to get new ones under warranty without slashing them. The coil is more than likely warped. When run hard you increase the heat in the coil. When it warps you dont get the full travel. If it hangs up in the gap and is out of contact it wont make any noise. By you pressing the cone youve found the area that it reconnects at. im sure it may play for a second then goes right back out right? I have two here in the same condition.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:42 AM

25 PSI TSI GUY is an unknown quantity at this point

Those Sony 760 amps suck i got one and circiut city has had it longer than i have. It might just be your amp ,if you have a warranty take it back to 'em.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:57 AM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts

same problem happened to me, but different amp. i just lost 1 channel. i wouldn't slash your subs, just get another amp.

Quick Reply: blown sub?