VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   Battery Question (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/battery-question-374025/)

CarShowz 12-06-2010 07:38 PM

Battery Question

can a car battery Freeze!? My car has been just fine since I had my electrical prob n I just hoppd in it to go to the store, turnd the key n absolutely nothing happend. My car hasnt given me any kinda probs whatso ever till 2mins ago....n I have skool in tha morning.

ITT Norfolk

CarShowz 12-06-2010 07:42 PM

Re: Battery Question

My pohone says its 27degrees outside!!!!!

The Guy 12-06-2010 07:49 PM

Did you check to see how much voltage its putting out?

marlinspike 12-06-2010 07:54 PM

LOL, not in these temperatures dude. However, cold will finish off an already bad battery. Especially cold that comes on as quickly as this did. Get a jump in the morning, don't shut off the car until you get to school. After school go buy a battery.

Fabrik8 12-06-2010 09:14 PM

First, you're a pussy. 27 degrees isn't cold. ;)

If it's cold out, and your battery is pretty much worthless, it may not crank the engine at all. Cold slows down the chemical reaction that produces electricity, and a damaged/drained battery that's already on it's last leg will perform even worse when it's cold out. So you might just need a new battery. This all assumes that there is nothing wrong with the electrical system, etc., and you didn't do something like leave your headlights on last night and knock the battery flat.

I have an Optima and it cranks my WRX at -20degF (that's negative, as in below zero) without any problems. Doesn't crank particularly fast, but it cranks. Feeling the snot freeze in your nose when you breathe..not very pleasant.

marlinspike 12-06-2010 09:33 PM

Learning that Fabrik8 drives a mere WRX has just ruined my life.

Fabrik8 12-06-2010 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by marlinspike (Post 6751804)
Learning that Fabrik8 drives a mere WRX has just ruined my life.

We actually get snow here. The WRX was a common sense purchase when I decided to move to the Rockies to go back to school. :p

Too bad about the altitude and the power loss though.

marlinspike 12-07-2010 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8 (Post 6751862)
We actually get snow here. The WRX was a common sense purchase when I decided to move to the Rockies to go back to school. :p

Too bad about the altitude and the power loss though.

NO! You are Fabrik8! When it snows you should just get into your Icelandic Hillclimber. And power loss shouldn't be a factor because it weighs 1000lbs and has 800 horsepower.

Fabrik8 12-07-2010 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by marlinspike (Post 6751994)
NO! You are Fabrik8! When it snows you should just get into your Icelandic Hillclimber. And power loss shouldn't be a factor because it weighs 1000lbs and has 800 horsepower.

And holes for my Viking helmet.

Computer_Nerd 12-07-2010 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8 (Post 6752025)
And holes for my Viking helmet.