VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   battery problem (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/battery-problem-365524/)

delslizzy 10-04-2010 05:41 AM

battery problem

My 97 civic is having a charging or battery problem. IT had not been grounded right for about a month and i had been push starting it and it was running ok with no battery light showing but i couldnt use my soundsystem (subs) but so much or they would cut out...The car was fine after regrounding it to the proper spots but the next day the battery light started to come on ...If i revved it up one good time it would cut out and stay off but each time i started the car it became increasingly harder to get to go away...now it wont and my car ran completely out of power and sputtered to a stop...with a charge box it starts and runs fine then after you take the box off even just the window going up will take all the power away and cut it off. I was told it was my alternator if i took the battery out while it was running and it cuts off..My car did that exactly but i want to be sure its the alternator before replacing it seeing as i had just got this one almost new about 2 months ago.....

Thank you all input will be appreciated

The Guy 10-04-2010 07:47 AM

Re: battery problem

Take sadi alternator to Advance Auto, Pep Boys, or Autozone. They test it for free. Sounds like its bad to me though.

BAN HAMMER 10-04-2010 08:04 AM

Replace both the battery and the alternator and be done with it

boredom 10-04-2010 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Donkey-Punch (Post 6612423)
Replace both the battery and the alternator and be done with it

sound advise there

delslizzy 10-04-2010 10:35 PM

its fixed now it was the alternator...i knew it shouldnt be my battery i had just bought it and was a yellow top

FObangah 10-05-2010 08:23 AM

FYI, Taking the battery out while the car is running will make it cut off regardless if the alt is bad or not... Unless its carb'd.

Fabrik8 10-05-2010 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by FObangah (Post 6614927)
FYI, Taking the battery out while the car is running will make it cut off regardless if the alt is bad or not... Unless its carb'd.

I'd love to hear why.

boredom 10-05-2010 01:05 PM

hahahahahahahahahaha yer dumb

The Guy 10-05-2010 01:29 PM

I suggest shutting up unless you know what you are talking about. Do explain.

boredom 10-05-2010 01:36 PM

my guess is the electrical current flowing through the cables will ground themselves out vis a vis you and thus causing the car and you to stop. permanently. do your homework bros.