Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Battery Not holding charge (or capacitor?)

Old 05-07-2008, 05:27 PM
hand built ka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crazytasty200 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Battery Not holding charge (or capacitor?)

after a battery is fully discharged more than about 2 to three times the charge will deplete rapidly and wont hold much of a charge and this makes ur alternator work over time and could burn it up quick so take a multimeter or voltmeter and first check the battery and see what the charge is if its below 12.6 volts its been discharged and for every .2 volts below 12.6 is 25% depletion and if you want to find out if you have a bad cell you can take the multi/voltmeter and check each individual cell by putting one probe one the negative and the other in each cell this means pull the caps off the battery assuming its not a sealed/maintenance free battery each should come up 2.1v

well i hope this helps
Old 05-07-2008, 08:04 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

A load test on the battery would clear that issue up completely. I would recommend replacing that battery if you've knocked it dead that many times, but the fact remains that you should find out what the problem is instead of randomly replacing stuff. If the battery is not the problem, you're going to keep killing batteries until you find out what the problem actually is.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:51 PM
Registered member

1aznTT 1aznTT 1aznTT

Generally speaking, i do appreciate all advice thus far.
Thank you.
I do not know much about sound systems, and this car came with one, until i had the problem with the battery after i went to vegas due to what i'm sure is a vanity light, I had no problems for nearly 1.5 months with this car's system.

...I'm not sure what you mean by the remote turn on wire..could you explain more what this is...would like like...is located?
I'm not a total dumbass...but just...really don't know much about this specifically :O
:shrugs:
<3
Old 05-07-2008, 10:35 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Well, an aftermarket amp has power and ground connected all the time, and it only turns on when the head unit tells it to. This is kind of like your TV or stereo in your house, they are always plugged in but don't turn on until you press the power button or use the remote control. Car audio amps have 3 terminals, power, ground, and the remote turn on. They also have terminals for the speaker wires, audio inputs, etc., but we aren't concerned with those at all.
The remote turn on wire is the same wire that the head unit turns on for the power antenna usually, but sometimes the head unit has two turn on wires. Head units that have two seperate turn-ons do this so an amp will still be on when playing a CD, when the second wire will turn off so the power antenna will go down.
Anyway, the standard color (there really isn't a standard color, just a commonly used color) is blue, but in general its just a small wire that will go to roughly the same place as the power and ground on the amp. It will be at 0 volts with the head unit off, and roughly 12V with the head unit on. So if this wire doesn't actually go to the head unit, or it's not wired correctly on the head unit, the amps may not be shutting off when they should. You can think of it as an enable wire, there is power and ground all the time, and the amp only turns on when the enable tells it to.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Drives a "black" dc2

Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta Big Boosta

I had the same problem, check your ground, and then check for a tone or dim light coming from your cap. If not check your amp and see if it has a warning light that may be draining.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

aacjohnc has disabled reputation

door pins . trunk pins .check those ? prety common thing that goes bad and keeps your vanity lights on .

your cap does it have a digital reader on it ? if so does it have a remote wire going to it(some do some dont ) i had one that did and wasnt truning my cap off when i turned the car off making it contionous charge back to 12 v whenever it drop below that when the car was parked casuing the battery to die from rechargin the cap ? if so make sure when u turn ur car off ur cap is turning off as well.

also check ur ground wire at the battery to where it ground out to the chasis . sometimes rust will build up there causeing a bad connection.