Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Battery/Alternator question

Old 08-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Pika

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smithypoq has disabled reputation
Default Battery/Alternator question

Hey everyone,

I've been having electrical problems for a little while now. Problem is, the alternators I get keep burning up. I've taken it to Hampton Electric to find out what's wrong and they said it was just a bunch of bad alternators from Advanced, and to try NAPA. I went to NAPA, got a brand new alternator, burnt up just like the other ones. After some time later, I hit the autostarter on my keyring on accident and noticed that battery was dead.

Would a bad battery cell cause an alternator to burn up?

I've talked to a few people about the problem, and some of them suggested that it may be come from my sub. Could this be the cause of it as well?
Old 08-09-2008, 01:47 AM
:Uses Ninja-Focus:

JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath
Default Re: Battery/Alternator question

Depends on how powerful this sub is we're talking about here...
Old 08-09-2008, 11:12 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Battery/Alternator question

Find out what is making the battery die, and you may have some insight. The alternator is just another power source, so whatever might be draining the battery might be somehow killing alternators also, unless the battery is just bad and needs to be replaced. I think there is more to this story than you're actually saying..
You'd have to have a serious amp for that sub, and have a bad battery to even think about killing alternators. If the battery is bad, and it's not getting charged properly, and you're drawing a lot of power of off the alternator (because it won't be coming from a bad battery obviously) then you may be damaging alternators. Generally though, you're not going to be able to start a car if the battery is that bad, so I'm not convinced.
There may be a short somewhere too, or something like that also.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 08-09-2008 at 11:15 AM.