Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

base map or tuned

Old 10-24-2011, 11:49 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
snail powered has disabled reputation
Default base map or tuned

I have a problem... I took my car to a shop (not putting there name out there) but I got some turbo work done and they said that my chip in my ecu was broke it was on a base map. They said before I left I needed to get it tuned. I dropped the car off and they had it for a week and it was the last day "dyno day" and I called at 2 pm and said to come back at five and hung up the phone. I went around 4 and the car was done. So its making me wonder if they really tuned it. I had a dyno sheet but its not believeable. D16z6 on five lbs "made 220hp and 170 tq" yea right. I'm wondering because they didn't want me there I didn't choose any thing like 2 step preference and it was on 87 octane. I just don't wanna pay 250 for the tune... if its not tuned any way u can tell a difference?
Old 10-24-2011, 01:09 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch
Default Re: base map or tuned

lets make this simple, If the car runs and doesn't have any problems they tuned it, if the car runs like shit and breaks up under boost they didn't tune it.

K?
Old 10-24-2011, 01:47 PM
Registered member

jdmadam jdmadam jdmadam jdmadam jdmadam jdmadam jdmadam jdmadam jdmadam jdmadam jdmadam

Originally Posted by 80type-r
I have a problem... I took my car to a shop (not putting there name out there) but I got some turbo work done and they said that my chip in my ecu was broke it was on a base map. They said before I left I needed to get it tuned. I dropped the car off and they had it for a week and it was the last day "dyno day" and I called at 2 pm and said to come back at five and hung up the phone. I went around 4 and the car was done. So its making me wonder if they really tuned it. I had a dyno sheet but its not believeable. D16z6 on five lbs "made 220hp and 170 tq" yea right. I'm wondering because they didn't want me there I didn't choose any thing like 2 step preference and it was on 87 octane. I just don't wanna pay 250 for the tune... if its not tuned any way u can tell a difference?
What?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

I know a few cars that are running a base map and r not tuned and there cars run fine... a base map is suppose to let u be able to drive the car till u get it tuned. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't sell a base map if it made ur car run like shit. So if someone has a logical answer that could actually help me that would be great.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:42 AM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

I know a few cars that are running a base map and r not tuned and there cars run fine... a base map is suppose to let u be able to drive the car till u get it tuned. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't sell a base map if it made ur car run like shit. So if someone has a logical answer that could actually help me that would be great.
A base map is made to get the car to the tuner, not be daily driven on and tuned when you feel like it. And you should really tune on 93, I've never heard of a boosted car on 87.

The answer is simple, you want a boosted car that wont blow up. Spring the money for a tune from a known tuner
Old 10-25-2011, 09:46 AM
Registered Member

im_a_JdM_FruiT has disabled reputation

You want an answer for a dumb question...Do you have a wideband? See what your afr are at while driving, if it ran lean or rich on your basemap and now runs stoich then your are most likely tuned. And how the hell is vadriven suppose to know if 220/170 is credible on a d16z6 without any info such as turbo, cams, motor work.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:57 AM
Registered member

turbotyler has disabled reputation

its kinda odd that they didnt let you come see the car get tuned thats the best part... that is a concern
Old 10-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

The motor is stock 1.6 single cam head studs are bout it and a 50 trim turbo, running to a 2.5 inch down pipe to 2.5 exhaust. The car is running rich as hell. he charged me for a tune and others like mine hp tq numbers are like 160whp and 140 tq. And hes saying 220whp and 170tq on 5 lbs. It does add up and I'm not gonna pay him if its on a base map and not tuned.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:47 AM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

The motor is stock 1.6 single cam head studs are bout it and a 50 trim turbo, running to a 2.5 inch down pipe to 2.5 exhaust. The car is running rich as hell. he charged me for a tune and others like mine hp tq numbers are like 160whp and 140 tq. And hes saying 220whp and 170tq on 5 lbs. It does add up and I'm not gonna pay him if its on a base map and not tuned.
Rameybuilt

/thread
Old 10-25-2011, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

And when hes charging me for a tune of 275 dollars that I could take to Richmond and get a real tune for. I would not be wornderin this is I would of saw it getting dynoed. And it was on 87 Oct after he was done I realized this after its been on 93 since

Quick Reply: base map or tuned