Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

b16, no/weak spark

Old 12-16-2004, 02:46 PM
Bitches get Stitches

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike
Default b16, no/weak spark

i just swapped a b16 into my del sol. i used the existing wiring harness (sohc vtec harness) and an ls dizzy, p30, obd1 injectors etc. i am getting however a very weak or no spark coming from the plug wires when grounding to the valve cover. i know the distributor is not the issue because i am using a known working one (i also tried a friends out of a running car), i know the ecu is good because i have tested it on another b16 also. i was thinking maybe it was a grounding problem? i am just not sure. the thermostat housing ground is connected, the negative battery terminal to chassis ground is connected, the valve cover to chassis ground is connected, and the tranny to chassis ground is connected. those are the only ones i know for sure are on. does any one have any ideas on what could be causing the problem? if anyone thinks they could fix it if they checked it out i'd be willing to throw them some money also. i have not checked any fuses yet but will tomorrow.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

streetsk8er757 has disabled reputation
Default Re: b16, no/weak spark

Originally Posted by sk8rmike
i just swapped a b16 into my del sol. i used the existing wiring harness (sohc vtec harness) and an ls dizzy, p30, obd1 injectors etc. i am getting however a very weak or no spark coming from the plug wires when grounding to the valve cover. i know the distributor is not the issue because i am using a known working one (i also tried a friends out of a running car), i know the ecu is good because i have tested it on another b16 also. i was thinking maybe it was a grounding problem? i am just not sure. the thermostat housing ground is connected, the negative battery terminal to chassis ground is connected, the valve cover to chassis ground is connected, and the tranny to chassis ground is connected. those are the only ones i know for sure are on. does any one have any ideas on what could be causing the problem? if anyone thinks they could fix it if they checked it out i'd be willing to throw them some money also. i have not checked any fuses yet but will tomorrow.
i am having the same probleom with my crx obd1 B16 but i dont think i have the ground from the tranny to the chassis. did you check the CEL codes yet that would help narrow down if there is anything. Right now on my car i am flashing codes 6,10,22. But if you are flashing codes here is a site if you dont know what they are Here good luck if you figure out what it is i could use the help also
Old 12-16-2004, 04:31 PM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

the only code i was throwing that i could pull w/out getting the car running was a code 8, which is the TDC sensor. this site may be of more help to you as well.

http://www.hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showforum=33
Old 12-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

its funny you mention the grounding problem mike...the grounding wires you have are insanely thin. i think ive got some heavy ass gauged wire if you need it.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:33 PM
Bitches get Stitches

yeah but they are all the stock grounds with the exception of the valve cover ground. a tech i talked to mentioned the main relay might have taken a dump on me, but i find that far too coincidental to be a possibility.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Die reinste Bösen.

well its also coincidental that mine went out when i changed my distributor on my civic. if you try and turn it over while banging on the lower left side of the dash, it might start up...at least that worked for the civic.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:46 PM
Bitches get Stitches

Originally Posted by gear
well its also coincidental that mine went out when i changed my distributor on my civic. if you try and turn it over while banging on the lower left side of the dash, it might start up...at least that worked for the civic.
was your civic doing the same thing my car is doing now?
Old 12-16-2004, 06:48 PM
Die reinste Bösen.

yessir.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:18 PM
Sumospeed #O.G.

SlowLS is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure you already checked all this, but it was not mentioned. First thing I always replace when I have a weak or no spark if the cap, rotor, plug wires and plugs. Could also check your plug gaps. Just my input on maybe a quick easy fix that might be overlooked.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:19 PM
Die reinste Bösen.

we tried basically 3 distributors...its not that. as far as the plug gap....it wont even spark from the plug wire...we need to get spark there first.

Quick Reply: b16, no/weak spark