VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   b-series turbo problem (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/b-series-turbo-problem-141839/)

2ltrgsr 06-01-2006 10:34 AM

b-series turbo problem

my car is misfiring and the plugs are black also smells like gas i replaced the plugs last night and its still doing this does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be also checked timing and its fine, it has a cel 72 or misfire code.

92EH3 06-01-2006 10:43 AM

Re: b-series turbo problem

check your wires and distrubitor

88CRXHFBSTNG 06-01-2006 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by 2ltrgsr
my car is misfiring and the plugs are black also smells like gas i replaced the plugs last night and its still doing this does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be also checked timing and its fine, it has a cel 72 or misfire code.

NEED MORE INFO. what is your set up? what engine management you running? what size injectors? etc. etc.

2ltrgsr 06-01-2006 04:25 PM

fmu and i got 310cc injectors.

sohc_mshue 06-01-2006 04:29 PM

have you tried running 240cc injectors? Those injectors are gonna run a little rich at part throttle with that setup.

2ltrgsr 06-04-2006 06:00 AM

the car starts and runs now i replaced the distrubutor but it still is running rich and misfires at vtec

Brnguy 06-04-2006 06:14 AM

How much boost you runnin?? what plugs do you have in your car.. Fuel pump?? is timing on.. not retarded or advanced?? grade fuel runnin?? fpr?? what kinda air/fuel gauge you got??? I got a stock y8 runnin 9 psi stock injectors, fmu, and 255 fuel pump.. no piggy back or any kind of fuel control.. Let me know what ya got on your car. maybe i can help ya out!

spooledex 06-04-2006 06:16 AM

What did you gap them at? Take them down to like .028

Brnguy 06-04-2006 06:19 AM

Gap them to stock gap!!! that only works for dsm's. not good for honda. need to know what plugs he's runnin first!???

2ltrgsr 06-04-2006 06:20 AM

k i will look at the gap

Brnguy 06-04-2006 06:21 AM

Tryin to help ya out!! gimme some info???

2ltrgsr 06-04-2006 06:37 AM

car is on 7psi with 310cc inj. fmu and walbro fuel pump

2ltrgsr 06-04-2006 07:40 AM

now car won't start this has to be a electrical problem somebody has to know whats going on.

sohc_mshue 06-04-2006 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Brnguy
Gap them to stock gap!!! that only works for dsm's. not good for honda. need to know what plugs he's runnin first!???

please dont give out misinformation. Plugs need to be gapped lower on boosted setups period. If the gap is too wide and the air is too dense then the spark cant bridge the gap unless the ignition is strong enough. .028 is perfectly fine.

sohc_mshue 06-04-2006 08:32 AM

now car won't start this has to be a electrical problem somebody has to know whats going on.

pull the plug wires out and crank the car over while holding the plug wires near a screwdriver or something so you can see if there is spark.

Fabrik8 06-04-2006 09:06 AM

If you have an FMU and 310cc injectors, of course it's running rich. The FMU can only add fuel, not restrict fuel, and the injectors are bigger than stock with no way to scale them back correctly until you need something that big. Why did you get a Walbro pump for only 7 PSI?

I'm guessing the car won't start because there is a lot of unburned gas in there. Pull your plug wires off, and disconnect your injector connectors so you're not adding any more fuel, then check if you have spark. Then reconnect the spark plugs and crank a tiny bit to burn the unburnt gas, keeping the injectors unconnected.

If you find there is nothing wrong with the ignition, it's all down to too much fuel.
You really need some way to scale the injector duty cycle back, like getting the ECU chipped/tuned properly or getting a AFC. You could get rid of the FMU if you got a AFC, FMUs are a really crappy solution to fuel management. The 310cc injectors should be big enough for 7 PSI, so get rid of the FMU (sell it to someone you don't like), get an AFC, and get tuned.

All of this assumes that you're just running way to rich, and don't have any other problems. I'm assuming that you don't have any sensor CELs and everything is wired up and working properly, including your coil, etc.

2ltrgsr 06-04-2006 09:20 AM

i held the spark plug wire out with the screwdriver and it wasn't getting any spark

92EH3 06-04-2006 09:30 AM

open up you distributor cap and check is the set screw on the rotor is still there mine fell out once and replace your plug wires

2ltrgsr 06-04-2006 09:58 AM

i did replace the wires and the screw is in

00civichatch 06-04-2006 10:08 AM

take it to a shop and let someone that knows your setup fix it the right way.

D.Nick 06-04-2006 10:33 AM

Get your damn car tuned.

SlowLS 06-04-2006 10:45 AM

i held the spark plug wire out with the screwdriver and it wasn't getting any spark

Pull a spark plug out, put it in the spark plug wire boot and let it sit on a valve cover bolt. Have a friend crank the engine for a second and see it the spark plug sparks. Easiest way to check for spark.

2ltrgsr 06-04-2006 11:21 AM

k

Fabrik8 06-04-2006 11:26 AM

Have you checked your coil/ICM, etc.? You said you replaced the dizzy and wires but that's only part of the chain..

2ltrgsr 06-05-2006 07:17 AM

the coil is in the dizzy

MerF 06-05-2006 07:24 AM

the coil is in the dizzy

So you replaced the entire distributor, not just the cap/rotor? Maybe your timing is off/misaligned the distributor whrn installing it.

And the dude who knows nothing about spark plugs needs to be banned. Thanks sohc_mshue for setting his straight.

I'm still thinking this is a pig-rich problem, and the lack of spark is something he caused when he tried to fix it.

2ltrgsr 06-05-2006 01:07 PM

im taking it to ccc, hopefully it won't be to much

MerF 06-06-2006 09:37 AM

im taking it to ccc, hopefully it won't be to much

At CCC, it will be.

Boost Happy 06-06-2006 09:56 AM

dude you been tooked the answer like 3 times already. Its because your running 310cc injectors with no fuel controller.. You CANT do that. Either replac3e the stock 240cc injectors or get a fuel controller.

Brnguy 06-06-2006 10:27 AM

Blah blah blah!! Thats all i hear! I so agree with 924drsleeper!!!
Dude its 7 psi. You dont need bigger injectors and you dont need to gap your plugs smaller than stock.. Your not runnin 14 or more psi.. And dont think i have no idea what im talkin about.. I only get paid to work on hondas for a living and train people... Like i said before, i have a stock y8 with stock ignition, stock plugs(stock gap), stock tiny injectors.. have a fmu, and a 255 fuel pump and runnin 9 psi no problems, no spark knock and runnin at just the right air/fuel mix without any kind of afc or fuel management.. if you need more fuel run a fpr.. Its not hard to get it right!!!

Oh by the way take your stock plantnum plugs out and get the one step higher which is a stock accord plug.. non platnum!! instead of the ZFR5F-11 you need ZFR6F-11

2ltrgsr 06-07-2006 08:31 AM

i took off the injector clips and crank a couple of times and then hooked them back up and it started but was really rich , i don't understand whats going on why was it misfiring with the stock injectors

2ltrgsr 06-07-2006 09:37 AM

i fixed it i put in the old injectors and it ran fine with no misfires and i guess me replacing the distrubutor did help because it doesn't misfire like it did with the stock injectors.

2ltrgsr 06-07-2006 01:32 PM

well i ran the car today and it was fine but when i got down the road the car shut off and the check engine light came on and is really dim, im lost now

2ltrgsr 06-08-2006 08:57 AM

was a loose ground wire

Enigma 06-08-2006 01:55 PM

Blah blah blah!! Thats all i hear! I so agree with 924drsleeper!!!
Dude its 7 psi. You dont need bigger injectors and you dont need to gap your plugs smaller than stock.. Your not runnin 14 or more psi.. And dont think i have no idea what im talkin about.. I only get paid to work on hondas for a living and train people... Like i said before, i have a stock y8 with stock ignition, stock plugs(stock gap), stock tiny injectors.. have a fmu, and a 255 fuel pump and runnin 9 psi no problems, no spark knock and runnin at just the right air/fuel mix without any kind of afc or fuel management.. if you need more fuel run a fpr.. Its not hard to get it right!!!

Oh by the way take your stock plantnum plugs out and get the one step higher which is a stock accord plug.. non platnum!! instead of the ZFR5F-11 you need ZFR6F-11

Gaping plugs should be considered on any boosted set-up. It is still boosted.

Putting a FMU or FPR on stock rail/injectors is just over-loading your injectors.. get it right the first time: right size injectors + a tune = happy Honda. I don't even think you really need a bigger pump for such a low amount of boost...

Brnguy 06-08-2006 03:03 PM

Yeah i hear ya.. but for such a lil amount of boost gapping the plugs smaller is just not really needed. takin the platniums out and goin a 1 degree colder non platnium plugs helps.. anything above 13psi with a 9.1 to 1 compression yeah thats when tuning and fuel and the right ignition is needed.. But this guys doin 7 psi.. not much you need.. im runnin 9 with no worries.. The bigger fuel pump i put in is just for when i upgrade to more boost and a motor build. i got it cheap so i put it in!

Enigma 06-08-2006 04:19 PM

Yeah i hear ya.. but for such a lil amount of boost gapping the plugs smaller is just not really needed. takin the platniums out and goin a 1 degree colder non platnium plugs helps.. anything above 13psi with a 9.1 to 1 compression yeah thats when tuning and fuel and the right ignition is needed.. But this guys doin 7 psi.. not much you need.. im runnin 9 with no worries.. The bigger fuel pump i put in is just for when i upgrade to more boost and a motor build. i got it cheap so i put it in!

cheap-fast-reliable

Pick two.. lol.

I hear ya on the build, sometimes you just want to have fun and the funds aren't all there for a build.. same problem I ran into after buying the Teg.. no money to mod but plenty of fun from this gem.

Platinum plugs are really a waste of money... NGK V-Power plugs gave ALOT of difference in my b17a1. I tried the Platinums and Iridiums.. and the $1.77 ea. V-Power plugs rocked thier world.

V-Power Plug; BKR6E-11; DOHC; VTEC; Gap .052

The BKR7E-11 is the colder plug for boosted/sprayed applications.

Test it out.. they are CHEAP!