Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

auto to manuel

Old 11-24-2004, 10:38 AM
240's Suck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sr20det240 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default auto to manuel

im juss wonderin how much hassle it is to convert an auto. to a manuel and if any one is willing to do it for a cheap price. I wanna buy this 97 240sx but its automatic and i don't got $$ for a Sr20det so yet.....
Old 11-25-2004, 08:50 AM
I drive a coupe

Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)
Default Re: auto to manuel

I just finished a 5 speed conversion last night, and I will never do it again unless somebody pays me a lot of money...
The problems are... Your motor mounts are different on an auto tranny than they are on a 5 spd because an auto tranny is much bigger than a 5 spd, and you have to cut and weld to make a new mount bracket. The pedals are difficult to install also because your steering collumn gets in the way and you need to disconnect all the wires from the fuse box to maneuver the pedals in place. Also, the inside wiring harness for an auto is different from a 5 spd, you need to know how to wire so the car wont start unless the clutch is engaged, and also your reverse lights need to be wired properly or they wont work. A 5 speed conversion can be done, but it will take hours maybe days, and I would not even attempt doing it alone.
Good luck...
Old 11-25-2004, 09:10 AM
240's Suck

*sigh, i think i'll wait and find a manuel than. That 240 was a great deal too. Or maybe i'll juss wait another year to save up that Sr20det.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:08 PM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts

your user name makes me think you already have a sr20det240, but you have neither?

and I don't know what car Hatch Man did the conversion on, but it's not as difficult on a rwd car. www.srswap.com (currently down, maybe it will come back up)
Old 11-25-2004, 12:18 PM
Patron

soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion soulDistortion

Just buy the damn car. If you're planning on doing a swap anyways, it's not going to kill you to wait to change the tranny at the same time you put a new motor in. It's also cheaper.

Auto to manual conversions on 240s aren't difficult, and there are tons of writeups. Don't listen to Hatch Man because he obviously has never dealt with 240's before.

http://www.240sx.org/links/installs/s14_5speed_swap.htm

It's basically this: take out auto tranny related stuff. install manual tranny related stuff. woohoo.
Old 11-25-2004, 06:47 PM
DUKE BLUE DEVILS

9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts9civic5 is infamous around these parts

I always thought mine was cool because I can crank the car without pushing the clutch in, oh well.....
Old 11-25-2004, 08:54 PM
240's Suck

Originally Posted by Carter
your user name makes me think you already have a sr20det240, but you have neither?

and I don't know what car Hatch Man did the conversion on, but it's not as difficult on a rwd car. www.srswap.com (currently down, maybe it will come back up)
this thread was made from one of my friends who is lookin 4 a car under my name. Me myself definitly is a proud owner of a S13 with a sr20det. But i told him repeatedly how easy it is to do so, he's being skeptical as usual. By the way, he's thankful 4 the feedback..anymore would be helpful!
Old 11-25-2004, 09:06 PM
240's Suck

And hatch man(GSR) i give U repsect regardless what they say, it is a dirty job.

soulDistortion, im makin him buy that 240 cuz its a hella of a good deal.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:07 AM
Boosted Hoe

s14vaxlr8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sr20det240
And hatch man(GSR) i give U repsect regardless what they say, it is a dirty job.

soulDistortion, im makin him buy that 240 cuz its a hella of a good deal.
tell your friend to buy my car, it will make them happy
Old 11-26-2004, 05:12 AM
nannerpus, nannerpus

Carter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these partsCarter is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Sr20det240
so you've done it before?

Quick Reply: auto to manuel