Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Audiophile question (subwoofer related)

Old 05-05-2009, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bbsIx bbsIx bbsIx bbsIx
Default Audiophile question (subwoofer related)

Heres the deal, I have a full Hifonics system. 6.5 components up front and 6.9's in the trunk all wired to a Hifonics 4 channel amp. I love the sound, highs and mids are on point. Their isnt enough bass for me though. Thing is I don't want to get a traditional sub, and I want to avoid trying to wire a new amp in.

I heard their are some subs that come with thier own amp, anyone got any suggestions?

Also, I was looking at smaller subs (8's and 6.5's), Do you guys think that I could some decent bass from two 6.5's? If I were to do that, I would mount them under the front seats.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:36 PM
loves quervo

uglyDC2 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Audiophile question (subwoofer related)

Originally Posted by bbsIx
Heres the deal, I have a full Hifonics system. 6.5 components up front and 6.9's in the trunk all wired to a Hifonics 4 channel amp. I love the sound, highs and mids are on point. Their isnt enough bass for me though. Thing is I don't want to get a traditional sub, and I want to avoid trying to wire a new amp in.

I heard their are some subs that come with thier own amp, anyone got any suggestions?

Also, I was looking at smaller subs (8's and 6.5's), Do you guys think that I could some decent bass from two 6.5's? If I were to do that, I would mount them under the front seats.
There are loaded enclosures that do include driver and amp but you still have to feed power and signal to it so you are going to be wiring something. I wouldn't expect any "bass" from a 6.5 driver, strong mid bass is what I would expect but marketing will always tell you different. If your not looking for something to shake the block with and just want something to round out your install I really push RE Audio 8's. Work great in small enclosures, build quality is good and take power like a champ and very affordable. Hope this helps
Old 05-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Classified Moderator

Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby

maybe a amplified bazooka tube?
Old 05-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Audi Fan

keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz

Originally Posted by Fobby
This is what i would suggest, but it is not the best quality speaker out there.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

wierdguy75 has disabled reputation

I know you probably want something compact, but i would seriously consider going with a small 10" sub with an external amp, you really cant compare the quality of a sub and amp with the poor quality of a internally powered bass tube. But uglydc2 is right, either way you still have to run power and signal wires.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:08 PM
loves quervo

Originally Posted by keefboz
This is what i would suggest, but it is not the best quality speaker out there.
they really are shitty, but all things considered they fit the bill for so many people specially those on lease terms
Old 05-05-2009, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

bbsIx bbsIx bbsIx bbsIx

I was seriously considering a bazooka tube till I realized I wouldnt know were the fuck to put it at.

I have considered a 10", but i just dont want the box associated with having a 10". If I were to get a 10", I would taken out the back seat and put it thier. But I mounted my up thier so that eliminates that option. I figure with a 8", i can have a waaaay smaller enclosure.

The audio RE's that uglydc2 suggested seems to be the way im going to go with this. I just now have to find an amp and another god damn wiring kit.

Whats the smallest enclosure I can use for the RE? I really, really, really want to mount it under the seat, but I don't think thiers a chance in hell that it will fit.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:43 AM
Registered Member

98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough

clarion srv314, try that one.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:33 AM
loves quervo

Originally Posted by bbsIx
I was seriously considering a bazooka tube till I realized I wouldnt know were the fuck to put it at.

I have considered a 10", but i just dont want the box associated with having a 10". If I were to get a 10", I would taken out the back seat and put it thier. But I mounted my up thier so that eliminates that option. I figure with a 8", i can have a waaaay smaller enclosure.

The audio RE's that uglydc2 suggested seems to be the way im going to go with this. I just now have to find an amp and another god damn wiring kit.

Whats the smallest enclosure I can use for the RE? I really, really, really want to mount it under the seat, but I don't think thiers a chance in hell that it will fit.
woofersetc.com for the amp, driver, and enclousure
knukoncepts.com for wiring
or ebay if your feeling lucky

RE8 will work in very small enclousures i think .3 - .4 ft^3 if going something homebuilt basiclly the box they will arive in will be around the size you need maybe smaller ... if going prefab a truck style box will work. RE10 will can also use a truck style box and doesn't require any more power than the RE8. Have fun
Old 05-06-2009, 11:53 AM
Brown Water

Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend

Originally Posted by Fobby
eww, no. You will not be happy with a tube. Get a single 8in sub. Sell the 4 channel amp and get a 5 channel amp and you solve you rewiring issues.