Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Amp/Deck Help

Old 11-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gr0dy has disabled reputation
Default Amp/Deck Help

I want to purchase this deck http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDPD...-KD-PDR40.html

and then this amp to power my new speakers http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500MRPF...-MRP-F250.html

the problem i have is the deck or reciever only has 2 preamp outputs and it says it would require 2 rca patch cables to hook that amp up but i also have to hook up an amp that is pushing my subs. Is there anyway i can hook the 4 channel amp up for my speakers and the amp for my subs? Thanks in advance
Old 11-29-2008, 02:54 PM
All Motor All Day

BuddyClubCivic has disabled reputation
Default Re: Amp/Deck Help

Yes, the amp that you're looking at getting has a preamp output on it for connecting another amp such as one for your subwoofers
Old 11-29-2008, 02:58 PM
dru
GUIBO!?

dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru

^I agree.. its called daisy chaining.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BuddyClubCivic
Yes, the amp that you're looking at getting has a preamp output on it for connecting another amp such as one for your subwoofers
i heard of that but i wasnt sure if that reduces the power at all. i appreciate it
Old 11-29-2008, 10:25 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Gr0dy
i heard of that but i wasnt sure if that reduces the power at all. i appreciate it
It doesn't, you're just splitting the signal. All of that happens before the amplification, so you're not losing any power.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:42 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
It doesn't, you're just splitting the signal. All of that happens before the amplification, so you're not losing any power.
ok last question , would it work if i hooked the amp that runs the sub to 1 preamp output on the deck ( so i can adjust the subs without adjusting the speakers cuz i believe one of the outputs is for subs) then 1 of the 4 channel amp connections to the deck and the other 4 channel amp connection to the preamp output on the sub amp. haha i hope that makes sense , because if i just hook both of the 4 channel amp connections to the deck then when i want to adjust the subs its goin to adjust the speakers too.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:35 AM
All Motor All Day

BuddyClubCivic has disabled reputation

The deck's preamp output is a selectable rear or sub output. The only difference is when its on sub mode it simply enables a low pass filter. However this is not needed if your amp for your subs has a low pass filter on it. Using the adjustments on your sub amp wont affect your other speakers. I hope that makes sense lol

The best idea would be to get a deck with 3 sets of preamp outputs such as this Kenwood Excelon for $169.99 http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX...-KDC-X592.html

Last edited by BuddyClubCivic; 11-30-2008 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BuddyClubCivic
The 2nd preamp output is a selectable rear or sub output. The only difference is when its on sub mode it simply enables a low pass filter. However this is not needed if your amp for your subs has a low pass filter on it. Using the adjustments on your sub amp wont affect your other speakers. I hope that makes sense lol

The best idea would be to get a deck with 3 sets of preamp outputs such as this Kenwood Excelon for $169.99 http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX...-KDC-X592.html
oh ok i thought it ment i could adjust the bass level and stuff just on the sub , yea my amp has a lpf ( what would you recommend to set the lpf to?). Lets say i get the same deck, should i just use both of the preamps for the 4 channel and then connect the other amp to the 4 channel?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:52 AM
dru
GUIBO!?

dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru

It depends on your set up really for your LPF. I'd say around... 80Hz... that's where mine is set up. Kind of high tho so you might set yours up lower. Bad thing is that the amp probably has a bad LPF and the slope factor sucks.

edit: yea it does... 12db/octave

For your 4 channel amp going to the speakers you can probably set up the subsonic filter also but from what I'm reading its only on the 3rd and 4th channel. Trying looking at another amp possibly.

Last edited by dru; 11-30-2008 at 08:54 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by dru
It depends on your set up really for your LPF. I'd say around... 80Hz... that's where mine is set up. Kind of high tho so you might set yours up lower. Bad thing is that the amp probably has a bad LPF and the slope factor sucks.

edit: yea it does... 12db/octave

For your 4 channel amp going to the speakers you can probably set up the subsonic filter also but from what I'm reading its only on the 3rd and 4th channel. Trying looking at another amp possibly.
this is the amp im using for the subs http://www.gopcplus.com/pcplus/produ...roductID=91005

this is the subs http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113W250...09.html?tp=111

im sorry haha but what exactly does the subsonic filter do?

Last edited by Gr0dy; 11-30-2008 at 09:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Amp/Deck Help