Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Altered suspension Question! Anyone who's a body-tech could prob help me out!

Old 05-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
richie-rich88 has disabled reputation
Default Altered suspension Is solved!!!!! Check post #64

I recently got pulled over by a state cop and got a ticket for my suspension.

He also gave me a printed copy of the laws on altered suspension.

it says that the car cant be lower then 14inches or higher then 22 inches from the Main Horizontal Bumper Bar!

Now i have owned a few hondas and i have received that ticket many times but it was always measured from the bottom edge of the bumper support! now the trooper(s) measured it from like where my radiator support is located. and they measured it at 6 inches. I said that i had it always measured from the bumper Support! they said thats wrong.....

ok ive been pulled my Officer Nash and Officer DuKet (sp) and others all chesterfield cops! now Nash thats all he does. busting people left and right for that shit and i dont think he's measuring it wrong.

So if some1 can tell me wat is the main horizontal bumper bar that would be sweet! i think its a sub name for the bumper support! idk

if somebody can answer that for me that would be awesome!

* another thing 2 i measured another DC2 with stock suspension from where they measured my car from and it was measured at 10.2 inches! I was like what the fuck! then even the stock Cars should be pulled cuz it below 14 inches!

anyways im about to go look for a state cop car and im going to measure their shit

Some help me that would be cool!

Im trying to go to some frame shop or something soon and get this shit straight!

here's the link to wat the gave me

http://law.justia.com/virginia/codes...46.2-1063.html

Last edited by richie-rich88; 05-15-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:27 PM
<3

elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz elambz
Default Re: Altered suspension Question! Anyone who's a body-tech could prob help me out!

I'm almost 100% sure its measured from the bumper support, NOT the radiator support.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Registered member

Default Re: Altered suspension Question! Anyone who's a body-tech could prob help me out!

Originally Posted by elambz
I'm almost 100% sure its measured from the bumper support, NOT the radiator support.
i know it is cuz ive been there and watched it but now 3 wks ago it was measured like right around the radiator support i was like umm its suppose to be measured from the bumper support

and to be honest..

Cops aren't mechanics! and they don't fuckn get that!

Last edited by richie-rich88; 05-09-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

aacjohnc has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by elambz

plus one on this .
Old 05-09-2009, 02:19 PM
Registered Member

aacjohnc has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by richie-rich88
i know it is cuz ive been there and watched it but now 3 wks ago it was measured like right around the radiator support i was like umm its suppose to be measured from the bumper support

and to be honest..

Cops aren't mechanics! and they don't fuckn get that!

cant be rad support cause there is a upper support and a lower support . so if this was correct you could argue "is it measured from the top support or lower support ".
Old 05-09-2009, 02:30 PM
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well

height does not matter for altered suspension. ANY MODIFICATION is altering your suspesnion. the numbers are for vehicles with lower factory ride height. I am 14 3/4 from the ground tucking most tire about 1" from the rim and i recieved a ticket because my vehicle was "unsafe" any improper vehicle modification that can bee deemed unsafe can result in loss of your plates for 15 days and your vehicle being towed.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:31 PM
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well

Originally Posted by aacjohnc
cant be rad support cause there is a upper support and a lower support . so if this was correct you could argue "is it measured from the top support or lower support ".
lower radiator support factory height is only 10 inches
Old 05-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

The bumper beam is the horizontal bar that is behind your (plastic, painted) bumper cover. It is the metal bar that actually takes the impact during a collision. I'm not sure what you're calling a "bumper support".

The height listed in the vehicle code is so that the bumper beam is in the right height range during a collision. It doesn't make any sense to measure the radiator support. The radiator support is not the bumper beam. The radiator support doesn't transmit load or attenuate impact during a collision.

It sounds like the cop needs some more education. In his defense, it's often pretty hard to know where the bumper beam actually is, because it's usually hidden, but that doesn't mean he should be blatantly measuring the wrong part of the car.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by B-Well
lower radiator support factory height is only 10 inches
i know i was just saying cuz thats where they measured it from so i went and measured the same thing on another stock DC. i know its from the bumper support! but thats where they measured it from around the radiator support which i said uhhhhh no your wrong!
Old 05-09-2009, 03:47 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
The bumper beam is the horizontal bar that is behind your (plastic, painted) bumper cover. It is the metal bar that actually takes the impact during a collision. I'm not sure what you're calling a "bumper support".

The height listed in the vehicle code is so that the bumper beam is in the right height range during a collision. It doesn't make any sense to measure the radiator support. The radiator support is not the bumper beam. The radiator support doesn't transmit load or attenuate impact during a collision.

It sounds like the cop needs some more education. In his defense, it's often pretty hard to know where the bumper beam actually is, because it's usually hidden, but that doesn't mean he should be blatantly measuring the wrong part of the car.
i know and i even told him i will take my bumper apart and he argued and told me dont worry we know where it is! and and the bumper support is also the bumper beam! behind the bumper cover and pad i know. ive been calling it the bumper support and same as every1 else i know has been calling it that.

but i argued with them about it and that its supposed to be measured at the bumper support and i even told them that when i remove the bumper their will be a pad... then after i remove it theirs the bumper support or bumper beam which helps support the impact of a crash! and they were like no its measured here!

and of course their word " We aren't trying to be mean or anything we are just trying to Educate you and protect you and others around you!

Well like i was thinking in my head when he was saying this well i think you need to be educated!

Cops arent mechanics and they dont fucking get that! fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by richie-rich88; 05-10-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Altered suspension Question! Anyone who's a body-tech could prob help me out!