Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

all motor ls

Old 06-23-2007, 07:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sive ick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default all motor ls

has anyone put pr3 or p30 pistons in a other wise stock ls?is it reliable and decently quick,im asking manily because stock ls compression is like a 9.3:1 as with b16 pistons somewhere around 11.5:1 depending on headgasket etc.Dont say just do ls/vtec ive dealt with ls/vtec before it didnt turn out so pretty,plus i think a high compression ls would have much more torque than ls/vtec and torque will get me a much better 1/4 mile.and input is great both negative and positive
Old 06-23-2007, 08:04 PM
Banned

Hi Skuuu has disabled reputation
Default Re: all motor ls

You did LS/VTEC, but that car was fucked from the get go. Stock rod bolts, all it had was a vtec head and conversion kit, nothing to make it reliable and it had RTV sealant for most of the gaskets....
Old 06-23-2007, 11:00 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by sive ick
has anyone put pr3 or p30 pistons in a other wise stock ls?is it reliable and decently quick,im asking manily because stock ls compression is like a 9.3:1 as with b16 pistons somewhere around 11.5:1 depending on headgasket etc.Dont say just do ls/vtec ive dealt with ls/vtec before it didnt turn out so pretty,plus i think a high compression ls would have much more torque than ls/vtec and torque will get me a much better 1/4 mile.and input is great both negative and positive
Now, I'm basing this off a stock internal B20/vtec w/ type r cams and a certain all motor LS that I know of ... torque wise, the b20 killed it in mid range. Peak hp was about the same.

If your looking to upgrade cams later on, I've seen motors make more power on Crower 404s w/ less compression than your standard P30 produces.

Too much compression and not enough cam isn't necessarrly a good thing.

Postive of a All motor LS
-Heads are cheap to build.

Downsides...
Even with Crower 405s, your still limited to the power you can make.

Now, I haven't researched it but a 84x89 motor w/ crower 405s, p8r head and a little port would probably make lower 200s w/o vtec.

Then again, I'm one to think that all motor is a waste of time
Old 06-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Registered Member

ls/vtec hatch has a spectacular aura aboutls/vtec hatch has a spectacular aura about

Wont idle well but it would be a different build from the rest. Go to honda-tech theres a guy with a build there. Shooting for 200 to the wheels will be hard but possible....

ported head along with
ctr pistons or srp type r pistons

This build will be expensive and maybe not worth the numbers your looking for.

I know a guy who had a high 12 compression all motor ls and it was pretty quick for a honda but it was expensive to maintain with gas etc..
Old 06-24-2007, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

Originally Posted by sive ick
having good midrange torque and not carrying that torque into higher rpms(needed for high horsepower) is going to get you nowhere in the 1/4.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:35 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

i built a high compression ls a couple years ago. running around 12:1.car was really fun in the lower rpm, very responsive, but upper rpm range was booty. was alot nicer when i did the ls/vtec conversion and went back to the dyno and made another 40 hp. n/a ls is worth it if your trying to get out of the project cheaply by just adding some high compression and maybe a mild port job , but your probably not gonna be too happy with the results unless you toss a butt load of money into it.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:02 AM
got some fake hp

wisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond reputewisepanda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jarrod
Now, I'm basing this off a stock internal B20/vtec w/ type r cams and a certain all motor LS that I know of ... torque wise, the b20 killed it in mid range. Peak hp was about the same.

If your looking to upgrade cams later on, I've seen motors make more power on Crower 404s w/ less compression than your standard P30 produces.

Too much compression and not enough cam isn't necessarrly a good thing.

Postive of a All motor LS
-Heads are cheap to build.

Downsides...
Even with Crower 405s, your still limited to the power you can make.

Now, I haven't researched it but a 84x89 motor w/ crower 405s, p8r head and a little port would probably make lower 200s w/o vtec.

Then again, I'm one to think that all motor is a waste of time
the reliability/drivability of a 200 whp ls is goin to be way worse than the reliability of a mildly biult ls/vtec. IF done right, ls vtec's are very reliable(I daily drove a 205 whp one) BUt if your wanting to stay ls then i would suggest a p30 piston, a mild port job, some 403 or 404 and supporting bolt ons and you can easily make 180 whp. The only downside to reving a ls motor is that the rocker arms dont handle it to well. The design of the ls heads was meant for generally mild rpm's.

thats just my two cents(and judging by your avatar you chose yoru car well) 180 whp in a crx will scream
Old 06-24-2007, 08:54 AM
Banned

sive ick is an unknown quantity at this point

well i have a ls i figured i might as well do something to it before i even think about putting it in.and since ls's have very low compression and weather i do ls/vtec later on it would be a good idea to put p30 pistons in it now and now have to pull it and do it later when i get a vtec head.Thanks everyone who gave input and i guess a all motor ls would not be worth it if it fell on its face in the upper rpm range.