Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

ALIGNMENT Question

Old 09-07-2010, 02:40 PM
無限

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
civichm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ALIGNMENT Question

I have a 95 Civic sedan. its lowered on Tein SS Full Coilover. It Has a set of Rota 15x6.5 wheels with BRAND NEW Toyo Proxie 4's on it. I took it to a shop and Got the brand new tires mounted an balanced an the car aligned. I was just worried about the TOE of course . The toe on paper is right. But it still pulls to the right hard. The caster on paper is a little off and ofcourse the camber is. But the Toe was done right and it still pulls and Im wondering what I need to do. Camber/Caster kit? Take it to a different alignment shop? That alignment place said there was nothing else they could do. If you have any suggestions or ran into this problem let me know. Thanks
Old 09-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ALIGNMENT Question

If the Cross Caster is way out of wack, that could easily happen.
Basically, if one side has really negative caster, and the other side only slightly negative, or even positive, it will pull toward the side with the least caster.

Camber is much the same way, only it generally won't pull as hard. It will pull to the side with the most positive camber.

Seeing your alignment sheet would be a BIG help.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:25 AM
無限

Thanks, IM going to try to find it
Old 09-08-2010, 03:35 AM
無限

Ok I got the sheet: By the way Im looking at the sheet an im confused why this damn thing is doin this. Its pulling to the right by the way.

Front Left:
Actual Before
-2.3 -2.3 camber
0.8 0.8 caster
0.06 0.07 toe

Front Right
Actual Before
-2.3 -2.3 Camber
0.6 0.6 Caster
0.00 -0.90 Toe

Front Actual Before
Cross Camber 0.0 0.0
Cross Caster 0.2 0.2
Cross SAI 5.0 5.0
Total Toe 0.06 -0.82

Rear Left
Actual Before
-2.5 -2.4 Camber
-0.01 -0.01 Toe

Rear Right
Actual Before
-2.2 -2.2 Camber
0.40 0.39 Toe

Rear Actual Before
Cross Camber -0.3 -0.2
Total Toe 0.39 0.37
Thrust Angle -0.20 -0.20

Last edited by civichm; 09-08-2010 at 03:39 AM.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Slowest HRC Member

BAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond reputeBAD4DR has a reputation beyond repute

Lot of positive toe on the right rear, combined with a more positive camber. I'd say that's as good a place to start as any.

Also, are all 4 tires the same size, and brand, and is the pressure correct in all of them?
Old 09-08-2010, 06:16 PM
EF turd

DirtyEF is on a distinguished road

They could have not locked the steering wheel down when they did the toe or the sensors could not have been level.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

lowridinda is an unknown quantity at this point

Caster will NOT cause a pull, and is very rarely adjusted on hondas...and ther is usually not enough adjustment to make a differance. The camber will cause a mild to severe pull, and will cause wear issues on your tires. The best thing to do is have a four wheel alignment (rear toe set), as the whole alignment is based off the rear, there is aftermarket camber kits for the rear but due to lack of wieght the rear USUALY dosent wear like the front tires do. A skunk2 STYLE upper controll arm with sliding ball joints are in MY PERSONAL opinion the best design, and are much easier to adjust... and have a shop that is known for decent alighnments do your alignment for you... there again opinions are like assholes and everyone has one....
Old 09-09-2010, 03:21 AM
Slowest HRC Member

You're an Idiot!
You obviously don't understand Caster.

In his case, there's no cross caster, so no problem.
The rear toe, and rear camber are off a little, not enough (based on practical experience aligning vehicles) to cause a "severe" pull.
Hence why I asked him to check the tires.
(Also, of note, try rotating the tires, and see if the problem goes away. I recently saw a bad tire in a new set cause a vehicle to pull hard to the left.)a

Now, provided everything is okay in that area, he's probably looking at a bad suspension bushing. Maybe a tie rod end, loose steering rack, and possibly even a collapsed spring. However, this is why one always drives a vehicle after performing an alignment, and puts it back on the rack to check if something doesn't seem right. (I had one with a bolt that stripped, causing the camber to shift during the test drive.)

I can assure you though, throw in 4-5 degrees of cross caster, it will pull harder to the side with the most negative caster than any camber problem you've come across. But then again, who knows, maybe you've been trained way beyond my level, and you have experience way beyond my real world experience...
Old 09-09-2010, 05:28 AM
無限

Tire pressure good. All 4 tires are Toyo Proxie 4 195/50. Brand new. put on all at the same time. the car had a slight pull before I brough it up to the shop ( that was with the stock 13 inch wheels with hub caps. An ofcourse the faster I go the harder the pull. theres not knocking or shaking or anything lose sounding up front. i can shake wheel, or i mean turn it righht to left fast an therse no noise. I will try rotating them. but they are directional tires also. Im going to get a camber kit. I was looknig at the SPC upper ball joint style but skunk 2 would be good too. W/ The skunk 2 arms, would I have to shave them down at all to fit in there? Ive had knock off ones that I had to but never skunk 2. Thankssss!!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:08 AM
Registered Member

lowridinda is an unknown quantity at this point

im an idiot.... wut do you work at sears?? then explain to me wut caster is and how it affects the vehicle in a turn or going down a striaght road... if you look at the bottom of my post you will see were i put it was my opinion he didnt post it up here to listen just to you....i was only giving him some information... he said it pulled not drifted ther is a differance...caster will affect straight line tracing...ie... drift... not a pull... camber will take you off the road wen you let go of the steering wheel, caster will lead you off the road as if the toe is not corrected... all in all find a good shop NOT sears and have someone check your alignment they will usually do that for free and let them tell you wut you need....

Quick Reply: ALIGNMENT Question