Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

AFR too high what to do about it?

Old 08-16-2011, 05:45 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway
Default AFR too high what to do about it?

Issue solved: To keep it simple, when the car was tuned before the fuel pressure was lower than it should have been. When the nut backed off the FPR, I put the FP gauge on the rail and set it to 43.5. Because the maps were written for a lower pressure when I reset the FP the maps had changed, if you will. Retuned the car at the right fuel pressure and it's all as good as new.

For all you tuning guys I have question for you.

Background and mods
  • B20
  • all the bolts-ons
  • 11:1 CR
  • crower 403's and springs
  • AEM fuel rail and FPR
  • RC 370 CC injectors
  • OEM Fuel pump
  • P28 tuned on Neptune

Problem:

Basically, I just installed an AEM AFR and I am concerned about the readings. It ideals rich, but it's not that bad, somewhere between 14.5 and 13. But under WOT it is just dumping gas in it. It will be around 11:1 starting at 4 PRM and then once it reaches 6k it goes below 10:1. Basically, what is causing the injectors to dump so much fuel. I understand that it would be the tune, but I would like to have faith in their skills the AFR would be better than that. So what else can I be looking for that would cause the ECU to pump so much gas in at those high RPM's. Thanks for the input and +rep for helpful information.

Last edited by jhholloway; 09-25-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:53 AM
Registered Member

Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed
Default Re: AFR too high what to do about it?

Hmmm. . . so you're saying you'd like to alter the stoichiometric ratio with out a tune?
Old 08-16-2011, 05:55 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

duhhh....it's the fucking tune.

You're going to have to alter the fuel maps....
Old 08-16-2011, 05:59 AM
Registered Member

Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed Dillweed

Originally Posted by Lord Humongous
fuel maps....
He's probably unloading in 3rd.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:05 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Basically it's caused by stupid fucking Honda owners putting shit on their car without going about it properly.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:30 AM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

First off who did the tune? 2nd off redo the tune. 3rd off need moar VTEC
Old 08-16-2011, 12:26 PM
Shoryuken!

Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95 Snoop 95

Originally Posted by jhholloway
Basically, I just installed an AEM AFR and I am concerned about the readings. It ideals rich, but it's not that bad, somewhere between 14.5 and 13. But under WOT it is just dumping gas in it. It will be around 11:1 starting at 4 PRM and then once it reaches 6k it goes below 10:1. Basically, what is causing the injectors to dump so much fuel. I understand that it would be the tune, but I would like to have faith in their skills the AFR would be better than that. So what else can I be looking for that would cause the ECU to pump so much gas in at those high RPM's. Thanks for the input and +rep for helpful information.
Yup. You're running richer than the Al Anabi race team.

First, talk to your tuner. Have him do some baseline pulls on the dyno with HIS a/f meter, and compare. If the tune is off, get it retuned. If you don't feel comfortable going back to him, find someone else who's reputable.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway jhholloway

OK half of y'all are dumber than I am, I understand that the easy cop out answer is the tune. But with computers there is little variance over a couple months. The maps shouldn't change, if everything was done right. After I got it tuned it drove perfect, NO complaints. Now after a couple months throttle response under 2k has a terrible delay. There have been no mods or tinkering, since the tune... So logically there should be another culprit for the lack of acceleration.

That's what provoked the purchase of a A/F gauge. Now that I have it I noticed the low ratio; I needed to know if some else know if there is something else that might cause a motor to run rich.. like if the intake sensor was messing up telling the car that more was coming than what was in reality.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

You need a better tune. You probably got it tuned when the weather was different, like not as hot or whatever. Now because the tune is incomplete, the ECU isn't compensating correctly for the higher temperatures, etc.

Just for giggles, reset the ECU and see what happens.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

dartonh22 has disabled reputation

resetting the ecu sint going to do anything, the tune wil still be burned to his chip. What month did you get the car tuned? like others have said the hotter weather will cause you to get less air and thus run rich. If you want i can lean it out for you, i have the tuning software, and ill be in mechanicsville tomorrow. but only tomorrow.

Quick Reply: AFR too high what to do about it?