Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Advice/help on 240SX stuff

Old 06-08-2006, 09:29 PM
i7 @ 5GHz <3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NsMoBoy is a splendid one to beholdNsMoBoy is a splendid one to beholdNsMoBoy is a splendid one to beholdNsMoBoy is a splendid one to beholdNsMoBoy is a splendid one to beholdNsMoBoy is a splendid one to beholdNsMoBoy is a splendid one to behold
Default Advice/help on 240SX stuff

I own a 91 hatch 240SX with a 95KA (previous owner did swap), it has roughly 140k miles on it. I need a new car but I really dont want to sell or give up my 240. Im thinking for 4k could i get a decent engine swap and some body/interior work done?

This is what Needs to be done on it.
The engine needs to be replaced IMO, or a serious overhauling.
minor body work + paintjob
interior touching up

~thanks.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:34 PM
ZOR - WE'RE BACK!

cole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Advice/help on 240SX stuff

ummm prolly but that wuld def be pushing it but it could be done if you found a cheap motorset and someone who will paint it for cheap and you do your own body work
Old 06-08-2006, 09:39 PM
i7 @ 5GHz <3

NsMoBoy is a splendid one to beholdNsMoBoy is a splendid one to beholdNsMoBoy is a splendid one to beholdNsMoBoy is a splendid one to beholdNsMoBoy is a splendid one to beholdNsMoBoy is a splendid one to beholdNsMoBoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by colexcore
ummm prolly but that wuld def be pushing it but it could be done if you found a cheap motorset and someone who will paint it for cheap and you do your own body work
Yeah im pretty sure I can do the body work.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:40 PM
Bowtie Bound?? ;)

Nigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the roughNigerian Hair is a jewel in the rough

4k will cover your SR swap,and aftermarket parts..but i dont know about paint and body work..unless you get someone to do it for you for cheap.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:49 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

actually 4k will just barely cover the parts necessary for the swap to be done right, and this is already assuming you go through a less than reputable means of acquiring your motorset. when i say done right, this includes all the aftermarket parts and labor (new clutch, resurfaced flywheel, fmic, boost controller, battery relocation kit and/or small battery, wiring harness intricacies worked out, etc. etc.), and unless you find someone to install it for next to nothing i don't see any reasonable way to get a quality swap out of 4k. not saying it can't be done, but it won't be easy.

you could look into a ca18 swap, that might fall a little closer to your price range.

what's wrong with the motor in your car now? the ka24e in my black car was still running strong at ~175k and i beat the shit out of it. as long as it's not smoking or overheating and still maintains good compression in all cylinders i'd say it's still a good motor. if this is the case you can go the same route i did, sell the car you've got now and buy one already done. i saved myself literally nearly 10k going that route.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:09 AM
ZOR - WE'RE BACK!

cole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these partscole is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by blackout
actually 4k will just barely cover the parts necessary for the swap to be done right, and this is already assuming you go through a less than reputable means of acquiring your motorset. when i say done right, this includes all the aftermarket parts and labor (new clutch, resurfaced flywheel, fmic, boost controller, battery relocation kit and/or small battery, wiring harness intricacies worked out, etc. etc.), and unless you find someone to install it for next to nothing i don't see any reasonable way to get a quality swap out of 4k. not saying it can't be done, but it won't be easy.

you could look into a ca18 swap, that might fall a little closer to your price range.

what's wrong with the motor in your car now? the ka24e in my black car was still running strong at ~175k and i beat the shit out of it. as long as it's not smoking or overheating and still maintains good compression in all cylinders i'd say it's still a good motor. if this is the case you can go the same route i did, sell the car you've got now and buy one already done. i saved myself literally nearly 10k going that route.

it could be done, just epends on how much he knows about swaps and there is nothing wrong with a smic and jsut exhaust for a little while. and wiring really isnt that big of a deal. nicoclub has writeups on how to do it it jsut depends on how knowledgeable he is. if he was lucky and found a clip on ebay for around 2500 with some stuff already on it that would be good too. and then 1500 for paint and body...etd etc i have seen swaps for a little less that still run beautifully.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:15 AM
This is going to spo

tecnic1 tecnic1 tecnic1

I hate to be always whoreing my shit out, but....
rb20det swap, engine from a reputiable source, in and running for about $3000 with auto to manual...
$1000 left for paint.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:08 AM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

Originally Posted by colexcore
it could be done, just epends on how much he knows about swaps and there is nothing wrong with a smic and jsut exhaust for a little while. and wiring really isnt that big of a deal. nicoclub has writeups on how to do it it jsut depends on how knowledgeable he is. if he was lucky and found a clip on ebay for around 2500 with some stuff already on it that would be good too. and then 1500 for paint and body...etd etc i have seen swaps for a little less that still run beautifully.
I agree with all that but the ebay motorset, thanks just asking for complications. If you are bent on getting rid of the KA there are some SR motorsets on Drag in the classifieds. The CA18 also isnt a bad idea, aftermarkets a little more scarce but still workable. As far as the exterior goes, id recommend you learning how to do some body work, and maybe a Maaco paintjob. The interior you can probably just scrounge up some stuff from the junkyard.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:21 AM
VAdriven Sponsor

Redshift Robbie has disabled reputation

4k is pushings it for all the things you want done. Ive scene a lot of budget SR swaps roll through ghetto rigged, that needed a lot of TLC. If your going to modify your car, do it right and do it once. Just some advice, let us know if you need any help. Good luck
Old 06-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Slowest 240 EVER

ScrewD03 ScrewD03 ScrewD03 ScrewD03 ScrewD03 ScrewD03

You can do it for 4k if you know people that can do it for cheap or you do it yourself... Labor is the expensive part...

Quick Reply: Advice/help on 240SX stuff