Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

99 Civic SI - 5th Gear Problems!

Old 11-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95MustangGT has disabled reputation
Default 99 Civic SI - 5th Gear Problems!

Lately my car has been popping out of 5th gear! It used to do it rarely but lately it has been doing it quite a bit, mostly when i hit bumps or at higher speeds. I went under the car and couldn't find a problem, stabilzer was in tight and the bushing on the tranny was good. I really didn't take nothing apart down there to look. Well i pulled out the center console today..expecting to see a bushing but i didn't. I guess i have to go under the car and pull the stabilzer out? Could it even be the bushing? When the car is in gear, i can move it around quite a bit like it is in nuetral. Well today after take the center console out i went on a drive, it didn't pop out of gear during the drive but i noticed the stabilzer moves quite a bit when hitting the gas. I understand its a FWD car and it's going to move..but i don't think moving up about roughly a inch forward is normal. So i got back and checked out the motor mounts out and noticed when i revved the motor from the TB the driver side motor mount nuts would MOVE. They were really loose, i tightned them and went on another drive and nothing happened. But it doesn't do it all the time!

What else could it be? Im new to these hondas if nobody knows about me yet, i used to own a 5.0!

Could it possibly be the clutch not letting me engage it all the way into 5th? But if it was the clutch it would do that in all the gears correct?
Bushing?
Shifter?

I've got to get this fixed, i live in Florida now but im about to move back to Virginia and i need it fixed! Can't drive 1k miles in 4th gear!!!!!
Old 11-01-2008, 01:40 PM
Still spinnin'

Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n Thurm@n
Default Re: 99 Civic SI - 5th Gear Problems!

My car has the same problem except it's my 2nd gear. I gotta snatch it for it to go in w/o grinding or popping out below 5k rpm. But if I shift to 2nd at 5k or higher it'll go in like normal....didn't mean to thread jack
Old 11-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Old School Beast

PoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these parts

whens the last time you checked or changed tranny fluid. I would also check your mounts. If the shifter is moving noticeably when your shifting or letting out the clutch in 1st then you have a bad motor mount.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

Well checked the mounts out earlier, driver side was loose! When reving the motor from the TB the nuts were spinning off! Tightened them up, drove all day today and nothing happened! But we will have to see!

ALso i do need to check the fluid anyways, what is a good tranny fluid to put in there?
Old 11-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts

drain old fluid and use GM syncromesh its a little more expensive but it works better
Old 11-02-2008, 05:11 AM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by 95MustangGT

ALso i do need to check the fluid anyways, what is a good tranny fluid to put in there?
Honda MTF.
Nothing else.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:38 AM
Huntin Dropa ForLife

RPRacing has disabled reputation

what part of Florida? i'll come get you. you pay my way, i'll tow you back here and help y ou move your crap. you provide all expenses and buy any parts needed to fix your car. I'll provide all free labor
Old 11-02-2008, 06:58 AM
Old School Beast

PoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these partsPoS hYbRiD is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Jarrod
Honda MTF.
Nothing else.
Couldnt have said it better myself.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

haha im in Port St Lucie, aka Port St Useless.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Huntin Dropa ForLife

RPRacing has disabled reputation

860miles. 13.5 hours each way. i'm down