Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

99 accord/tranny

Old 12-12-2007, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jaysgsr has disabled reputation
99 accord/tranny

well i'm thinkin and being told i'm gonna need a new tranny w/torque converter for my 99 accord ex. It was making a whining noise when i tried to crank it, so i thought it was the starter. I took off the starter, and noticed the teeth of the torque converter---which you could freely easily spin with a finger. I dropped the tranny/engine and found that the factory weld had been broke from the torque converter to the drive plate. It was rewelded, then put back in. Now the car doesnt run right at all. It shifts into first (its an automatic) and then into second whenever it feels like it. the gears just kinda shift when they want. So i was told that possibly the torque converter got too hot from the weld, and melted the gears together?? any help???? suggestions??? thanks.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Registered Member

QUICKVIII has disabled reputation
Default Re: 99 accord/tranny

You may have damaged the front pump of the trans when you reinstalled the trans. It is a very common thing to happen if you aren't aware the converter must line up one way. Now forget fixing it. The 98-99 trannys were junk anyway. 2000 to 2002 were upgraded. If you cant find one let me know, I can find you one. I sell used auto parts. Call me Dave Brauning Automotion (804) 224-1200. Mon-Fri.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:59 AM
Registered Member

Hey I just thought of something. Some trannys the shift solenoids use the same plugs, if so switch your plugs and see if it works better...
Old 12-14-2007, 12:19 AM
Team Livin Dreams

LivinDreamsDC2 has disabled reputation

you shouldn't of reweld it. there is a possibility that its unbalance and might of gotten warp from the welding.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:13 AM

well i heard it was alright to reweld it, but as long as "it didnt get too hot"---if that makes any sense. i'm just lookin for a new tranny and torque converter now. I would just get another torque converter, but supposedly the trans has metal shavings in it. I'm thinkin its from when we first was tryin to start the car and thats when the factory weld was broke, i guess thats when it put shavings in it.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:16 AM

by the way, i'm in kentucky--not va beach anymore. anyone know of a good place around this way to get a transmission. or maybe from the beach, but not bad crate shipping prices? tkx.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

4 cyl or V6?
Old 12-17-2007, 03:31 PM

4 cylinder. I just gave up on that transmission and torqueconverter. there were metal shavings anyhow in the trans and a crack in the housing. So i just bought a transmission and torque converter from another same year accord and am gonna swap. thanks.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:32 PM

....oh, and i did swith those pressure switches! lol. didnt work! thanks tho!
Old 12-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

Hey very important note!!!! when you switch the tranny, make sure you flush out the cooler and lines that go between the tranny and the radiator!!! There is old crap and metal in there waiting for you to start the car up and pump all that back into your good trans, possibly hurting it!! VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!