Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

95 dx civic no start... no spark no power to the igniter

Old 01-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
widebody91hatch has disabled reputation
Default 95 dx civic no start... no spark no power to the igniter

Ok I just picked up a 95 civic dx coupe and it cranks bit won't start. I work on cars for a living and am not an idiot when it comes to cars but this one is making me scratch my head. As far as I know the car has had a stalling/no start condition intermittently over the last several months and has finally stopped running and now I gotta fix it. Ok so know what I know. I have checked a bunch of stuff and so far I have found that the car has no spark. It has no power to the igniter and no ignition power to the ecu. From what I can tell the power goes from the ignition to the underhood fuse block through the eld unit to the ecu and I have power on both sides of the fuse but not to the ecu. My question is how possible is it for the eld unit being bad to cause no power to the igniter. Any advice or ideas are much appreciated thanx
Old 01-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms
Default Re: 95 dx civic no start... no spark no power to the igniter

What?
Old 01-01-2011, 11:26 PM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

if you have another known good dizzy from any honda (88-00/01), swap the internals out and see if it starts. if not your dizzy is bad. new (reman'd) single cam dizzys are about 150 from your local auto parts store, if you have to money.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:51 AM
Registered Member

The dizzy is brand new and its not the problem. I have no power to the bigger connector for the distributor on I believe the yellow/green wire which from what I can tell is the ignition input for the igniter and its supposed to come from the ecu except I have no power to the ecu on pin d10 the ignition power which is supposed to come from the underhood fuse block where the fuse has power on both sides but not to the ecu... I have since changed the underhood fuse block which contains the eld unit from a running car and the car still won't start. I also have swapped in another known good ecu so I'm not sure if I'm even going down the right path anymore and was wondering if somebody could shed some light for me
Old 01-02-2011, 05:58 AM
Registered Member

I have a good running civic that I have been pulling tester parts off of to do my checking and I'm just getting frustrated with this coupe and have a feeling that its gunna end up being something stupid that I am overlooking seeing as the only wiring diagrams I have are coming out of a haynes manual and I know just how reliable they can be so any ideas or advice is appreciated
Old 01-02-2011, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

Ok now I have some different stuff happening. I just realized that the cel is not coming on at all and I have no other dummy lights except for the battery light... boy is this thing throwing me for loops. I hear the fuel pump come on and I have fuel pressure I just have no spark.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:28 AM
LOLH8RS

straightHYPE has disabled reputation

check main relay but id have to look at is to see whats going on
Old 01-02-2011, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

I've already swapped the main relay and ecu from a running car and still no luck
Old 01-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Find a factory manual for that car, and check the schematics. It sounds like power is not getting to multiple circuits, so it's most likely something fairly close to the battery/alternator input. This would agree with a problem around the ELD circuit like you're saying, but I can't picture what is going on without a schematic.

You should be able to troubleshoot your problem with just a multimeter. You obviously have power on the input of something that not on the output, so either something is faulty or something is not getting controlled properly. I know that's slightly murky but I can't assist much without looking at a schematic, and you'll just be chasing your tail unless you have a schematic to work off of too.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:48 PM
Stiff Member

Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock Laserjock

Ignition switch? I remember using a Haynes manual years ago and the schematics were somewhat complete.

I have just a little experience with electricals for this year range.