Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

95 civic not wanting to start. possible timing problem????

Old 03-05-2012, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zrts2008 has disabled reputation
Default 95 civic not wanting to start. possible timing problem????

Ok so i just got the car 5 days ago and 2 days ago when i was at sheetz it wouldnt start back up. i had to charge the battery and i had a major exhaust leak. i changed my dizzy and now the starter engages but the engine doesnt turn over. i think it might have a timing problem but i just want to have a second opinion. im going to tap and die a bolt and put a new valve cover gasket in it today because the guy who had it before me screwed the hole up so i have a resivor of oil.

Basically i just need a second opinion of what you think is going on.
the engine is a D16Z6 with cold air intake.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:01 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: 95 civic not wanting to start. possible timing problem????

Originally Posted by zrts2008
im going to tap and die a bolt
Going to do what to fix the timing problem?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

zrts2008 has disabled reputation

because the guy who put the valve cover back on stripped one of the screws out on the top center bolt hole. so i have to redo that and put in a new valve cover gasket [yes im going to set the valves to TDC] and get the resivoir of oil that has probably built out of it and put the new gasket in.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

WheelPowerRacin has disabled reputation

If you are setting the valves to top dead center in order to install a valve cover gasket, you may want to consult a mechanic beforehand.
If the starter is engaging the flywheel but the motor isn't turning over then either the starter motor itself is bad or not getting current (solenoid contacts or battery cable terminal at the starter) or your engine is locked up for one reason or another and the starter motor cant turn it. You refer to timing and changing your dizzy, if your ignition timing is off then the motor would turn over, but may be difficult to start.
The only way I see that your valve cover problem could be related is if the spark plug wells filled completely with oil & you removed a spark plug & allowed a lot of oil to drain into a cylinder. If you then re-installed that plug & that cylinder was on compression stroke, it could hydro-lock the motor.

Last edited by WheelPowerRacin; 03-05-2012 at 12:57 PM.