VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   94 Civic HG problem, radiator issue??? (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/94-civic-hg-problem-radiator-issue-466608/)

grant90 03-19-2013 12:47 PM

94 Civic HG problem, radiator issue???

I'm having an issue with my civic.
I had a radiator flush a few months ago, the put a 16lb cap back on it once they were done. 2 weeks ago, it busted the heater hose (I fixed it). Then over the weekend I drove it to hampton turned it off and let it sit about 20min. After starting it again and almost making it to the light it started sputtering, exhaust note kinda sounded like an STi and then it started bellowing smoke when and only when I tap on the gas. Today, I drove it for about 10 minutes and it was fine until it warmed up. Once it was warm the sputtering came back and it started smoking once I pushed on the gas pedal.

I checked for the usual sign of HG failure, I looked at the oil cap and there were no signs of coolant leaking. The I pulled the dipstick, no signs there either. The oil still looks brand new, I can't for the life of me figure out what the problem is.

Fabrik8 03-19-2013 06:25 PM

Re: 94 Civic HG problem, radiator issue???

Test the coolant temp sensor that goes to the ECU. Is it a new radiator cap?

grant90 03-20-2013 04:30 AM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8 (Post 8102742)
Test the coolant temp sensor that goes to the ECU. Is it a new radiator cap?

I was hoping you were still on here.

The cap was put on back in November, so it's fairly new.

83Stang5.0 03-20-2013 04:43 AM

Are you throwing any codes?

The symptoms you already described fit fine for a headgasket failure. Depending on where the gasket gives, you may not always be able to see certain tell-tale signs of failure. I had a bad headgasket going over a few months, caused alot of pressure build up in the cooling system, but never gave any easily ID'able signs until it finally went on the interstate one day.

sleeperteg 03-20-2013 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by grant90 (Post 8102436)
I'm having an issue with my civic.
I had a radiator flush a few months ago, the put a 16lb cap back on it once they were done. 2 weeks ago, it busted the heater hose (I fixed it). Then over the weekend I drove it to hampton turned it off and let it sit about 20min. After starting it again and almost making it to the light it started sputtering, exhaust note kinda sounded like an STi and then it started bellowing smoke when and only when I tap on the gas. Today, I drove it for about 10 minutes and it was fine until it warmed up. Once it was warm the sputtering came back and it started smoking once I pushed on the gas pedal.

I checked for the usual sign of HG failure, I looked at the oil cap and there were no signs of coolant leaking. The I pulled the dipstick, no signs there either. The oil still looks brand new, I can't for the life of me figure out what the problem is.

The headgasket might have failed in a spot where it is not leaking coolant into the oil, however it could be leaking combustion into the cooling system and coolant into your combustion chamber. That would explain why you blew a hose and the sputtering/smoking.

PicovAndropov 03-20-2013 05:52 AM

Pull out the spark plugs and pressure test the cooling system. Let it sit for about 20 mins with pressure. After that, look inside the spark plug hole and see if you have any moisture in the cylinders.

grant90 03-20-2013 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by 83Stang5.0 (Post 8102965)
Are you throwing any codes?

The symptoms you already described fit fine for a headgasket failure. Depending on where the gasket gives, you may not always be able to see certain tell-tale signs of failure. I had a bad headgasket going over a few months, caused alot of pressure build up in the cooling system, but never gave any easily ID'able signs until it finally went on the interstate one day.

No, the check engine light hasn't been on ever.
I'm gonna have it picked up today or tomorrow, it's a jasper engine so hopefully they'll cover a new one.

walmar1950 03-20-2013 07:16 AM

Check to make sure da gas line dat suppose to goin to da charcoal canister not goin to the intake i had da same problem my lines got crossed sumwhea once i changes it it ran fine had my coolant and a gas line crossed

Fabrik8 03-20-2013 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by hotsauce278555 (Post 8103141)
Check to make sure da gas line dat suppose to goin to da charcoal canister not goin to the intake i had da same problem my lines got crossed sumwhea once i changes it it ran fine had my coolant and a gas line crossed

I can't read this without mentally adding a funny accent. Well, I can't read it at all actually. Delete?

83Stang5.0 03-20-2013 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8 (Post 8103174)
I can't read this without mentally adding a funny accent. Well, I can't read it at all actually. Delete?

bahaha I just read this aloud on the train, everyone around me started laughing