Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

92 GS-R ?

Old 12-24-2005, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma
Default 92 GS-R ?

I know the block is a stroked b16.. so does that mean it has a b16 head/internals?

Would that also mean the intake manifold and TB are b16?
OR
Does this year GS-R have the sec. butterflies like the H22 and G3 GS-R?

Peace
Old 12-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Registered member

drifterXXX is infamous around these partsdrifterXXX is infamous around these partsdrifterXXX is infamous around these partsdrifterXXX is infamous around these partsdrifterXXX is infamous around these partsdrifterXXX is infamous around these partsdrifterXXX is infamous around these partsdrifterXXX is infamous around these partsdrifterXXX is infamous around these partsdrifterXXX is infamous around these partsdrifterXXX is infamous around these parts
Default Re: 92 GS-R ?

it is similiar to the b16a/type-r head.. no secondary butterflies.. click here for pictures http://www.dragva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117842
Old 12-24-2005, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by drifterXXX
it is similiar to the b16a/type-r head.. no secondary butterflies.. click here for pictures http://www.dragva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117842
Thanks LOL.. but I don't need pictures of my motor

I was just wondering the head type so I can make some purchases as some of them won't work with a GS-R head. That could mean the obd-II or obd-I (mine).
Old 12-25-2005, 08:46 AM
Registered member

drifterXXX is infamous around these partsdrifterXXX is infamous around these partsdrifterXXX is infamous around these partsdrifterXXX is infamous around these partsdrifterXXX is infamous around these partsdrifterXXX is infamous around these partsdrifterXXX is infamous around these partsdrifterXXX is infamous around these partsdrifterXXX is infamous around these partsdrifterXXX is infamous around these partsdrifterXXX is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Enigma
Thanks LOL.. but I don't need pictures of my motor

I was just wondering the head type so I can make some purchases as some of them won't work with a GS-R head. That could mean the obd-II or obd-I (mine).
your car may be a Gs-r, and it maybe a "gs-r" motor but, it is nothing like the b18c1.... it is in the same category as the b16a, b16b, b18c5... the "b17a gs-r head" head has nothing incommon with the "b18c gs-r head" besides dohc vtec...
Old 12-25-2005, 09:13 AM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Also. Does the 92 Gs-R (USDM one) come with a LSD?

He doesn't have his car, and I coulda sworn my buddys Stock 92 Gs-R had one. Don't they come with ls-ds??

Enigma- Come on man, I coulda told you what to get.
Old 12-25-2005, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by drifterXXX
your car may be a Gs-r, and it maybe a "gs-r" motor but, it is nothing like the b18c1.... it is in the same category as the b16a, b16b, b18c5... the "b17a gs-r head" head has nothing incommon with the "b18c gs-r head" besides dohc vtec...
My car is a GS-R sweetheart

It is a b17a1 GS-R.. pretty much a stroked b16a1.. and it also cam BEFORE the b18c1 So which is really the GS-R motor? lol

But now that I know this motor is better than the b18c1 I am confident in the purchases I will be making in the future.

Thanks for the help all!

Peace
Old 12-26-2005, 08:34 AM
Team Ultraspeed

Yell88CRXsi has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Enigma
But now that I know this motor is better than the b18c1 I am confident in the purchases I will be making in the future.
Well, I wouldn't go and say that. While it's true the the B17 is nothing more than a stroked B16A, I wonder if you are aware of some of the differences between the B16 and B17.

1. The compression of the B17 is the lowest of all the B series Vtec motors with a 9.7:1 cr. Now this is not all bad if you are planning on boosting, but is another story if you are planing a N/A motor, In N/A, this lower compression will become a factor when playing with bigger cams and can not be overcome unless you break into and build the bottom end.
2. Also the larger 81.4mm crank in the ultra short 203mm deck, means shorter rods. Shorter rods on a larger crank means higher piston speed, (1.62 rod ratio) and higher piston speeds can make a less than reliable motor when when that powerband is focused in the higher RPM range on a low displacement motor. Now some people may agrue about rod ratios and their affects, but I am a firm believer that lower rod ratios and higher piston speeds do not work well with cylinder filling at high RPMs, cause higher frictional side loading of the cylinder walls, more loading on the bearings, and more stress on the rods at TDC. So making power beyond 8500 and keeping it longer than just a year, could be challenging...and cost a bit more.

Now please...I'm not saying that the B17 is a bad motor to build...hell no. I'm just saying that for every cause, there is an affect.

However money always seems to changes thing like this.

Last edited by Yell88CRXsi; 12-26-2005 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:11 AM
JAY SPEC

00civichatch 00civichatch

Originally Posted by Yell88CRXsi
Well, I wouldn't go and say that. While it's true the the B17 is nothing more than a stroked B16A, I wonder if you are aware of some of the differences between the B16 and B17.

1. The compression of the B17 is the lowest of all the B series Vtec motors with a 9.7:1 cr. Now this is not all bad if you are planning on boosting, but is another story if you are planing a N/A motor, In N/A, this lower compression will become a factor when playing with bigger cams and can not be overcome unless you break into and build the bottom end.
2. Also the larger 81.4mm crank in the ultra short 203mm deck, means shorter rods. Shorter rods on a larger crank means higher piston speed, (1.62 rod ratio) and higher piston speeds can make a less than reliable motor when when that powerband is focused in the higher RPM range on a low displacement motor. Now some people may agrue about rod ratios and their affects, but I am a firm believer that lower rod ratios and higher piston speeds do not work well with cylinder filling at high RPMs, cause higher frictional side loading of the cylinder walls, more loading on the bearings, and more stress on the rods at TDC. So making power beyond 8500 and keeping it longer than just a year, could be challenging...and cost a bit more.

Now please...I'm not saying that the B17 is a bad motor to build...hell no. I'm just saying that for every cause, there is an affect.

However money always seems to changes thing like this.
finally some one on this site seems to know what the fuck they are talkin about.