Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

92 civic sedan help

Old 08-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WannaBboosted has disabled reputation
Exclamation 92 civic sedan help

ok guys heres whats going. the car is throwing a code 43. i know this is the fuel supply system and probly has something to do with the fuel filter, fuel pump, o2 sensor. i plan on replacing all of these this weekend. now here is the question lately the car has begun to shake when im at a stop. from what it seems 2 me it may be a tranny problem. it is an auto. the car runs completly fine until the car is fully warmed up and the check engine light comes on. once that happens the acceleration its horrible in first gear almost like it doesnt even wanna go unless u smash the pedal to the ground. also the other day i let it idle for about 10 mins fully warmed up and when i stepped on the pedal to get outta driveway the car just cut off. so i guess my question is do you all think its the tranny going or just has something to do with the code 43 as in the fuel pump not getting enough gas through or filter being clogged? or is it the tranny and the fuel pump, fuel filter and o2 sensor? remeber the car does shake pretty badly when im at a stop. thanks for any help or any info i also live in the vb general booth area if anyone has a little time to check it out. thanks again!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: 92 civic sedan help

It's not a transmission problem. If the engine runs fine until it warms up, why would the transmission be the problem?

You know you have a fuel system problem, so replace the things you were planning on and then report back. I doubt it's a problem with the fuel filter or the fuel pump though, because if either of those parts were defective then you would have problems under all conditions instead of only when the engine is warmed up. But, the O2 sensor is a very likely culprit, and the ECU doesn't run off of the O2 sensor until the engine is warmed up. The ECU runs the engine in "open loop" mode when the engine is cold, which means that it runs off of a known set of parameters with no feedback about how the engine is running. Once the engine is warmed up, the the ECU switches to "closed loop" mode which uses the O2 sensor as feedback that the ECU uses to correct fueling and ignition timing.

Change the O2 sensor, and change the fuel filter, and then see where you stand. Fuel filters are cheap and it's a good idea to change it if you don't know when the last replacement was done, but that's not going to be the cause of the problem.

You could also have another sensor problem, but they don't sound as likely based on the symptoms you've described.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

even tho there is a hard shaking when at a complely stop?
Old 08-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If the engine is running rough, yes. What inside a transmission would make the car shake when the car isn't moving? Put the trans in neutral and see what happens.

I'm pretty sure a transmission wouldn't make you have a fuel system CEL either.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

when its in neutral it still shakes but not nearly as much as when in gear.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Banned

White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil

It almost sounds like a motor mount or harmonic balancer.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Delbanner
It almost sounds like a motor mount or harmonic balancer.
mounts are in perfect shape.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Registered Member

axelathome has disabled reputation

its probobly shaking more when in gear and stopped because the engine is under more of a load
Old 08-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by axelathome
its probobly shaking more when in gear and stopped because the engine is under more of a load
That was my thought too.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:04 PM
Registered member

sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg sleeperteg

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
But, the O2 sensor is a very likely culprit, and the ECU doesn't run off of the O2 sensor until the engine is warmed up.
i agree with Fabrik8

Quick Reply: 92 civic sedan help