Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

91 crx build need advice

Old 07-19-2014, 12:16 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aa4baseball has disabled reputation
Default Re: 91 crx build need advice

Wow y'all are brutal haha. I was hoping to keep build around $3000 but could probably go $5000 if I stretched time out. I don't know why there's so much hate, I clearly stated I have the option of b-swap. All this do It I dare you shit needs to stop right now. I am relatively competent, and have every intention of leaving whatever motor I do build at a machine shop. I was simply unfamiliar with the capabilities of a mildly built d-block (everything but sleeves). And typing on here my exact situation seemed easier than searching around for something close.

Last edited by aa4baseball; 07-19-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:23 PM
Ammo Pusher

F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh F4Fresh

Coming from a CRX guy/lover(owned 3 with the 3rd still in the back yard) who never got a chance to build one like I wanted to because its a waste of fucking money. Drive it. Enjoy the great gas mileage and call it a day.

However, if you do want the best bang for your buck and actually go through building it, swap it for a b-series, throw a turbo kit on, basic supporting mods, and a good tune and you MIGHT be where you want to be.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:36 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Originally Posted by aa4baseball
Wow y'all are brutal haha. I was hoping to keep build around $3000 but could probably go $5000 if I stretched time out. I don't know why there's so much hate, I clearly stated I have the option of b-swap. All this do It I dare you shit needs to stop right now. I am relatively competent, and have every intention of leaving whatever motor I do build at a machine shop. I was simply unfamiliar with the capabilities of a mildly built d-block (everything but sleeves). And typing on here my exact situation seemed easier than searching around for something close.
It always is. But we don't take to kindly to it here.

And what Fresh said. Buy and NA miata and turbo or supercharge it. You'll have enough power to have fun in and it isn't a huge drain on money.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

aa4baseball has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Yardjass
It always is. But we don't take to kindly to it here.

And what Fresh said. Buy and NA miata and turbo or supercharge it. You'll have enough power to have fun in and it isn't a huge drain on money.
I own an NA miata that I just invested $5000 doing my first real "stance" build. So it's too low for me to want to spend a whole bunch of money on performance when it can't be driven that I have also been on vadriven for years. Everybody bitches about these types of posts, yet the posts that can't be answered with google don't seem to get any replies hahaha. If it's an absolute waste of time, ignore it, it'll drop off the fp and be gone.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Anal hammer

JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal

Originally Posted by aa4baseball
Don't talk to us like you know us.
If you're that competent then why are you asking what the cheapest, weakest honda engine is capable of?
I've got a friend who's dumped $1,000's of dollars into his d15b it's making enough power to lose to a Gsr...
If you absolutely must build a D do a d16Z6 put the $7-8k in it and make it legit.
Otherwise what NasT said.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:06 PM
Black girls love me!

91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg 91tegrsjg

If you can can stretch the money out over time, then do a proper b-series build. A GSR or even a good quality LS/V isn't a bad choice and with i/h/e, cams, etc, with a good tune on it, it will still be a fun car.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:45 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

lol i wasted money on a turbo kit for my dingle cam when i first got into cars and got walked by just about everything.

D series = gas sipper
Old 07-19-2014, 06:19 PM
Registered member

ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995 ej1995

Originally Posted by NasTHatch
D series = gas sipper
My last D series was getting up to 55mpg highway. Damn thing made like 70hp, fucking racecar I tell you! Lol

OP should read my sig also...
Old 07-19-2014, 11:33 PM
Sheeeit

Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch Hooch

Seriously though you`re going about this the wrong way, or at least starting in the wrong department. Scratch ANY AND ALL ideas of motor work for now and put all of the money you want to spend on this car into the suspension, brakes and tires. You`ll get more thrills out of a stripped down CRX with a completely overhauled suspension and brake system then you ever will out of just throwing a swap at it....or turbo single for that matter.

THEN once you learn how to appreciate the benefits of handling over horsepower and have fully acclimated yourself to a car that actually handles, you will realise you can leave a swapped honda well behind when encountering a windy road
(so long as you have at least some driving ability). Only once this has happened would i advise you to start "BUILDING" a motor. Unless you`re all about that highway skreet racing life....if so then fuck you, fuck your mom and fuck your mom's mom.

Last edited by Hooch; 07-19-2014 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:11 AM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Originally Posted by Hooch
Seriously though you`re going about this the wrong way, or at least starting in the wrong department. Scratch ANY AND ALL ideas of motor work for now and put all of the money you want to spend on this car into the suspension, brakes and tires. You`ll get more thrills out of a stripped down CRX with a completely overhauled suspension and brake system then you ever will out of just throwing a swap at it....or turbo single for that matter.

THEN once you learn how to appreciate the benefits of handling over horsepower and have fully acclimated yourself to a car that actually handles, you will realise you can leave a swapped honda well behind when encountering a windy road
(so long as you have at least some driving ability). Only once this has happened would i advise you to start "BUILDING" a motor. Unless you`re all about that highway skreet racing life....if so then fuck you, fuck your mom and fuck your mom's mom.

Quick Reply: 91 crx build need advice