Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

91 civic DX spindle and hub

Old 05-20-2009, 06:01 AM
Whatever it takes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch
Default 91 civic DX spindle and hub

Yesterday i was helping a friend out on replacing his bearing on his 1991 civic DX. We decided the best and most cost effective way was to find a complete hub from the boneyard. After two trips back and forth from there to my house trying out different assemblies i decided to call a friend who i figured would was closer to the EF chassis than i. He informed me that the later years DX model (im assuming 90 - 91) shared the same spline count as the DA integra chassis but it was larger than any other civic trim for those model years.

I wanted to see if anyone knew why honda would do this to the DX trim but not any of the others and if there was some type of replacement i could use from the junkyard without upgrading to the integra ones.

I did a search of the bearing part numbers on honda parts unlimited and it came up with the 84-91 civic wagon wv whatever that is, the 84 - 91 civic 3DR DX 1500, 84 - 91 CIVIC 3DR S 1500 and the 84 - 91 crx DX. I have never heard of the wagon wv or the civic s. can anyone throw some info on this?
Old 05-20-2009, 06:14 AM
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0
Default Re: 91 civic DX spindle and hub

Which side do you need? I dont know why you're finding a bunch of differences. The 2 out of my 88 compared to the ones on my 92 are still the same.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:27 AM
posted on da block

l0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud ofl0uiE|3oy has much to be proud of

I'm pretty sure only difference in the ef hub is if its a STD-standard 4 speed manual model or the dx/si model. the standard model's knuckle hub assembly is SMALLER. why they didn't I have no idea but I hope i helped you out just a little bit.
Old 05-20-2009, 08:14 AM
Whatever it takes

ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch

Originally Posted by l0uiE|3oy
I'm pretty sure only difference in the ef hub is if its a STD-standard 4 speed manual model or the dx/si model. the standard model's knuckle hub assembly is SMALLER. why they didn't I have no idea but I hope i helped you out just a little bit.
i forgot to mention that but yes that confirmed what i was told earlier. Thank you. what is STD, besides what i gave my ex of course
Old 05-20-2009, 09:58 PM

Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma Enigma

Originally Posted by l0uiE|3oy
Originally Posted by ls/vtecstitch
i forgot to mention that but yes that confirmed what i was told earlier. Thank you. what is STD, besides what i gave my ex of course
Standard.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:57 PM
やくざに成りたい

atmdc has disabled reputation

ok all 88-91 civc/crx models are the same knuckles/spline count except for the std model hatch.
you can use a DA knuckle which still has the same spline count, but the knuckle is about a 1/4 inch taller which is said to throw off the suspension geometry a little bit, but probably not enough to notice.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:50 AM
Whatever it takes

Originally Posted by atmdc
ok all 88-91 civc/crx models are the same knuckles/spline count except for the std model hatch.
you can use a DA knuckle which still has the same spline count, but the knuckle is about a 1/4 inch taller which is said to throw off the suspension geometry a little bit, but probably not enough to notice.
that and you would have to use the rotor from the DA as well which would throw off the brakes i'm guessing.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:10 AM
TreblicTunedFTW!!

Subie2Honda Subie2Honda

Originally Posted by ls/vtecstitch
that and you would have to use the rotor from the DA as well which would throw off the brakes i'm guessing.
Not necessarily. I was accidentally sold a DC knuckle a a civic dx knuckle when I purchased them off a person on here, and surprisingly eveything went pretty smooth. I installed my std brake calipers, pads, and rotors onto both knuckles, and when I put the knuckles on, the brakes worked fine........it's just that the suspension geometry on the side with the dc knuckle was HORRIBLE.

In short, you have alot of options, knuckle-wise.....just transfer the brakes over. As long as it's not off a std civic, the axles will slide right in, the brakes will transfer right over, and you should be just fine. I just wouldnt recommend using a dc knuckle lullz

Someone has told me before, however, that when installing DA knuckles its prudent to just use the DA brakes, since they are a little better anyways. Who knows, I'm sure it depends on preference.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Whatever it takes

Originally Posted by WRXWGN2NR
Not necessarily. I was accidentally sold a DC knuckle a a civic dx knuckle when I purchased them off a person on here, and surprisingly eveything went pretty smooth. I installed my std brake calipers, pads, and rotors onto both knuckles, and when I put the knuckles on, the brakes worked fine........it's just that the suspension geometry on the side with the dc knuckle was HORRIBLE.

In short, you have alot of options, knuckle-wise.....just transfer the brakes over. As long as it's not off a std civic, the axles will slide right in, the brakes will transfer right over, and you should be just fine. I just wouldnt recommend using a dc knuckle lullz

Someone has told me before, however, that when installing DA knuckles its prudent to just use the DA brakes, since they are a little better anyways. Who knows, I'm sure it depends on preference.

Hope that helps.

thanks for the info. I just wanted to state as well that i did try the DA knuckle thing as well and the civic rotor is too small for the DA hub. The circumfrence is different on these two items. I would have to use the integra rotor as well at least. It sucked but i ended up finding a DX civic in teh junkyard and got everything set.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:49 PM
やくざに成りたい

atmdc has disabled reputation

yea pretty much whatever rotor you use you just have to match the correct caliper with it

Quick Reply: 91 civic DX spindle and hub