Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

89 civic hatch?

Old 01-22-2005, 08:33 PM
I drive a coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)
Default 89 civic hatch?

I got an 89 civic hatch, I dont know what model, all I know is its red and the title says 2 dr sedan under "model"...

It has no passenger side mirror, and pretty much nothing is interchangable in this car. I bought a gauge cluster from a 91 civic Si today for the tachometer, but the wires arent even the same, and the gauge cluster is too big for the dash. Also no other seats will work in this car either, the brackets under the seats are too narrow and any other seat wont work with the bolt holes pre-drilled in the floor...

This is the weirdest civic I have ever seen, its almost like Honda company made just one car to be a joke and just messed up everything with the car, nothing from any other honda (that I have found) works on this car and I dont know why...

Does anybody know what model it might be? Did honda just start to use interchangable parts in 92?
Old 01-22-2005, 09:24 PM
cibic weetec

GIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond reputeGIMMEAN"H" has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 89 civic hatch?

pictures? i can tell you if you post up a few...
Old 01-22-2005, 09:49 PM
I drive a coupe

Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)

I will try to get some up, I dont have my camera...
I think they only made 3 models in 1989... plain old civic, civic dx, and civic Si...
It has to be a plain civic, but parts should still be interchangable from dx and Si..?

I am thinking about just changing the entire interior out with an Si interior if it will let me. I will get to the bottom of it...
Old 01-23-2005, 03:14 AM
Registered member

.eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric. .eric.

4 speed manual transmission = STD model
5 speed manual transmission = DX model

Also, you can check your VIN here
Old 01-23-2005, 05:40 AM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

multi-port PGM-FI = Si
Old 01-23-2005, 06:01 AM
Sumospeed #O.G.

SlowLS is an unknown quantity at this point

88-89 civic parts are a little different from the 90-91. You will need to get a cluster from a 88-89 civic for it to work. any seat from a 88-91 civic should bolt in. I have 90 integra seats in my, but I had to do a little work to the seat rails. As far as what model, Standard has a 4 speed tranny, DX has 5 speed, and SI's have a sunroof.
Old 01-23-2005, 01:15 PM
I drive a coupe

mine is a standard...

will a 91 Si interior bolt into the 89 standard civic body, how much did they change in that time?
Old 01-24-2005, 10:06 AM
Sumospeed #O.G.

SlowLS is an unknown quantity at this point

The only major difference is the door panels. On the 88-89 the seatbelts are on the pilar behind the door. On the 90-91 the seatbelts are on the door itself. If you use the 91 interior you will just have a hole at the top of the door panel where the seat belt goes though. Nothing major though.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:23 PM
I drive a coupe

Thanks