VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   850hp 350z...stay With Me On This.... (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/850hp-350z-stay-me-68214/)

HALLPARTSGUY 09-27-2004 12:18 PM

850hp 350z...stay With Me On This....

I work at a Dealership and I have been approached with finding the parts needed to make a 350Z 850hp or more. I've got the basics like the stroker kit,twin turbo kit, 2 GT42R turbos, intake, veilside exhaust, aquamist water injection, nitrous kit, lightened aluminum flywheel, stage 4 six puck clutch, greddy intercooler kit, 550cc hks high flow injectors, hks racing bov type 2, and a 255lph walbro fuel pump. What I do need help with is to find anything i missed but also get suggestions on management system, cams, and a place in the 757 area or close to it to find out about cost on building the motor and tuning it for this customer. quotes would be best for any one or company interested. thanks in advance for any help.

Justin the Hall parts guy.

mAydAy 09-27-2004 01:20 PM

Re: 850hp 350z...stay With Me On This....

First off, the internals need to be all forged. Crank, rods, pistons all must be forged, and must be made for this high of HP. I wouldn't bother with any "Kits" most likely they'd disentigrate above 4-500hp. I'd recommend something like some Pauter X-beams and I'd get Arias pistons which they already have on hand for a 350Z. As for a crank, I have no idea, depends on the strength of the stock crank and if anyone makes them aftermarket. May need to get a custom one. You MUST talk to these people about it and work with them to build the internals properly, these are just two choices out there (Excellent ones) but there are many others, and they will work with you to design the motor for its desired purpose. You can't just grab off the shelf parts for the most part.
Pistons will be somewhere $600-1200 probably, rods around $800-1200. Nobody said 850hp was cheap.
For 850hp I'd start looking into some major headwork also, and those turbo kits better have headers not manifolds. Two GT42R's ought to be plenty big.
I'd say the motor is going to be at least $5k, but thats even a dream of a figure. Once the motor is built, the whole drivetrain must be reinforced. Most likely the transmission won't last at that power nor will the rear end and things. Also, 550cc may well not be enough for 850hp.

-Andy

HALLPARTSGUY 09-27-2004 01:28 PM

Thanks for the information, like I said I just work at a dealership and never have to do this kind of thing. this starting place will be most help full. I had a feeling that the turbo kit may not be rated for this kind of power so i'm going to call around to greddy and the sort for prices on custom turbo kits and intercooling options. By the way I have heard money is no problem for this guy, must be LOADED.

Justin

mAydAy 09-27-2004 01:34 PM

I figured he must be loaded, nobody goes to the dealer and wants any extra performance unless they're loaded.
I'd stay away from any off the shelf kits. They aren't typically meant for more than a 400hp. 850hp is going to require full out custom EVERYTHING and a team of talented modders to do it. GReddy and places may have some ideas but even they typically don't deal with this sort of thing. Best thing would be able to find some sort of shop that specializes in this sort of ultra high performance. Not sure who to go to but I know there are some shops in the HR area that do it.

-Andy

zappas 09-27-2004 01:38 PM

You should just tell him nothing is going to be able to remain stock.

suspension/fuel/tranny/motor...ect..

i hope he is loaded.

HatefulMechanic 09-27-2004 02:52 PM

S/C'd 547 BB chevy. you will have power to spare.

drawback is the blower sticking out of the hood.

HALLPARTSGUY 09-28-2004 04:30 AM

Does anyone know if Performance Unlimited does this kind of work, and isn't there a tuner/performance place over in Va Beach?

ZeRo_C0oL 09-28-2004 05:55 AM

shit, if the guy is willing to spend whatever it costs to get the car to 850hp.. send him to Roanoke :D

HALLPARTSGUY 09-28-2004 09:16 AM

if you guys could give me a company or person to contact anywhere near here it would help. done searches on the net and found no help but Virginia Speed. Thought about calling Tuners Edge also, just don't know if they can do the fabrication needed for this.

thanks, Justin.

ZeRo_C0oL 09-28-2004 09:24 AM

I wouldn't be so worried about finding a LOCAL shop to do this... I'd be more worried about finding someone reputable. Don't just send them to someone who has produced fast/powerful cars..... send them to someone who builds fast/powerful NISSANS!

KungFuHamster 09-28-2004 09:26 AM

255 lph is gonna be enough fuel pump either. im just gonna assume its a returnless style fuel system, so if its possible to squeeze 2 255s in there, that would be better.

Cosmo 09-28-2004 09:44 AM

I know Wagz sent his to Z-1 performance. Maybe they can do something for you...

How much difference is there between the 350Z and 300Z engine? I know there are many high-hp 300's out there. Swap maybe?

I could be completely off base here, seeing as I don't know a whole heck of a lot about Z's.

fantabulous 09-28-2004 09:57 AM

255lph pump is not sufficient. get 2 or a single higher flow rate, holley makes these, pretty reliable. ur gonna need someone to weld up exhaust manifolds. prob need stronger motor and trans mounts or reinforcements. that VQ will want to twist around in the bay with those stock mounts. that trans will blow. i'd hate to be riding in the car when it does. if your using stock trans, i hope you have a trans blanket or splatter shield. custom driveshaft and driveshaft loop are almost essential on a project like this, just for safety purposes. consider custom axles. i know someone with a 900hp supra, they switched out their rear end for a ford 9 inch. cant go wrong with solid axles. much stronger. i dont think that rear end will hold up either, nor the mounts for it, when those things explode, its pretty catastrophic. i've seen the ring gear separate from the diff and fly thru the diff housing and through the trunk of a car. luckily, the gas tank was replaced with a fuel cell that had been relocated. shouldnt the stroker kit come with pistons and rods? you havent mentioned anything about building the head. metal head gaskets are a necessity. valves, bronze valve guides, hd springs and retainers, and head studs. head flow is a big power adder on the VQ motor. find a reputable place that does heads and has a decent flow bench. for fuel management, i've had very good success with the HKS F-con vpro. but since greddy is here in the US now, if you have E-manage, you can call them, they can program a custom base map for you, you download it onto your laptop, then upload it into your car. then tune it further from there using a wide band uego o2 sensor. did some reasearch on the VQ motor. rear cylinders aparently dont receive same amount of air as the first 4. i was gonna weld up a custom manifold for my friends 350. they said for all motor, use skinny and long runners, for turbo use short and fat runners, and the throttle body should be mounted somewhere in the middle of the plenum, instead of near the front of the motor. again these are just some suggestions. this sounds like a pretty big project. my advice is, dont start a project that you cant finish, or dont have the resources to finish. and then, theres the liability issue. this is a VERY big issue. 850hp, something will eventually break, when it does break, someone is gonna point a finger. normally its at the person who installed it all. if the person has this much money to spend on a car, im sure they can afford a very good lawyer too. just to warn you. goodluck.

HatefulMechanic 09-28-2004 03:24 PM

spend 30k on all that....or go with a tried and true larger engine, stronger block, driveline etc.....

you can want in one hand, and shit in the other. see which one fills up first.

this is not an easy task. it can be done...but it will be VERY expensive. why does someone want this setup? who knows....who cares...he wants it, and has money to spend. (supposedly) give ROUGH estimate and requireat least 50% down. and waivers are a nice thing....especially if you know what you are doing when you write them, to remove any libility. drop a big block in it....and be done with it.

edit....Z1 does not deal with the 350. they really dont like selling the parts they have, from what i gather. last time i was down there talking to Russell, he HATEs that car. and i dont know about the reliablity issues of their engines either......:rolleyes: being as i have pulled a few of their engines out to be fixed. i wasnt impressed.

5177 09-29-2004 06:58 AM

A single turbo t-88 should get you there.

gpeele 09-29-2004 12:46 PM

i would talk to the guys a millenium they are probiably your best bet in terms of people that can make this happen in this area.

there is a custom manifold out there that will change the angle of the air comming into the upper plenum so the rear two cylinders arent starved for air. ignition is something to look into, fuel system will probiably consist of two fuel pump, a reservoir and an inline pump. count on 850cc injectors, aftermarket computer like a power fc, cooling will be a HUGE issue for this project because of the cramped engine compartment, and the fact that the motor is na so it might or might not have large enough water jackets/passages to consistently shead the heat produced by that amount of hp.

another engine that can be swaped in besides a v-8 is the old VG from the z32. its turbo from the factory and there is huge aftermaket support for it as you know. www.sgpracing.com or the guys at z1 are good places to start to find out how to "reliably" get those numbers from a VG and maybe tips on getting the engine in the z33 chasis. also gt500 z33s are using the older VG motor.

signal auto i belive was looking into getting similar numbers out of the z33 motor and if this guys pockets are as deep as they seem you might be able to get their attention on the matter if he insists on keeping the new motor.

keep us posted on the progress this thing would be a real beast if its done right. my honest opinion though tell the dude to buy a supra or a gtr and be done with it.

FumingSmoked 09-29-2004 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by mAydAy
I figured he must be loaded, nobody goes to the dealer and wants any extra performance unless they're loaded.
I'd stay away from any off the shelf kits. They aren't typically meant for more than a 400hp. 850hp is going to require full out custom EVERYTHING and a team of talented modders to do it. GReddy and places may have some ideas but even they typically don't deal with this sort of thing. Best thing would be able to find some sort of shop that specializes in this sort of ultra high performance. Not sure who to go to but I know there are some shops in the HR area that do it.

-Andy

Huh? I dunno, I have a 350Z TT, and with internals redone and just a GReddy TT kit you can get 500+. It's been done a few times already, although they've been running it kind of lean even with race gas.

FumingSmoked 09-29-2004 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by CRXDriver
i would talk to the guys a millenium they are probiably your best bet in terms of people that can make this happen in this area.

there is a custom manifold out there that will change the angle of the air comming into the upper plenum so the rear two cylinders arent starved for air. ignition is something to look into, fuel system will probiably consist of two fuel pump, a reservoir and an inline pump. count on 850cc injectors, aftermarket computer like a power fc, cooling will be a HUGE issue for this project because of the cramped engine compartment, and the fact that the motor is na so it might or might not have large enough water jackets/passages to consistently shead the heat produced by that amount of hp.

another engine that can be swaped in besides a v-8 is the old VG from the z32. its turbo from the factory and there is huge aftermaket support for it as you know. www.sgpracing.com or the guys at z1 are good places to start to find out how to "reliably" get those numbers from a VG and maybe tips on getting the engine in the z33 chasis. also gt500 z33s are using the older VG motor.

signal auto i belive was looking into getting similar numbers out of the z33 motor and if this guys pockets are as deep as they seem you might be able to get their attention on the matter if he insists on keeping the new motor.

keep us posted on the progress this thing would be a real beast if its done right. my honest opinion though tell the dude to buy a supra or a gtr and be done with it.

My 350 was the first one Millenium worked on.

Where are you guys getting rear cylinders? Kinetix and Crawford redesigned the plenums because the FRONT cylinders were getting air starved because of the angle due to the factory upper strut bar. I bored and polished my the front of my inlet plenum so I can get an even flow. Supposedly it's getting 20% less air than the avg cylinder.

gpeele 09-29-2004 07:32 PM

yeah i suck. i ment the front two cylinders. thinking of stuff backwards :o thanks for catching that.

gpeele 09-29-2004 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by FumingSmoked
Huh? I dunno, I have a 350Z TT, and with internals redone and just a GReddy TT kit you can get 500+. It's been done a few times already, although they've been running it kind of lean even with race gas.

yeah that greddy kit comes with 18g turbos which would get you to the 600 hp range with a proper setup, sgp uses 20g turbos to get 800+ horsepower from the VG in a daily driven z32.

gear 09-29-2004 08:59 PM

how about a nice FP Red

https://www.dsmtuners.com/parts/imag...rmance-red.jpg

HALLPARTSGUY 09-30-2004 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by CRXDriver

Trust me I would love to but all his buddies drive TT Supras and he wants to have his 350Z up to par with them....thanks for the help everyone. Project is at a stand still till this guy gets back in touch with me or the dealership. Need to make sure he is on the same page with us and we get a deposit and some papers signed. And trust me I will keep you all posted on this. If accomplished this will be the strongest 350Z on the planet as far as I can find.

thanks again, Justin

FumingSmoked 09-30-2004 08:29 AM

Not sure how much the AEBS prototype is running (they developed the stroker kits both with NA and FI).

Homemade WRX 09-30-2004 10:34 AM

will 550 cc injectors be enough?
while the block is open as said before have everything forged and get the pistons coated. also blue print the engine and have evrything balanced within .02 grams

B20vtecGen2 09-30-2004 10:36 AM

Put a RB26 in it w/ a T88 the swap has already been done

mAydAy 10-01-2004 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by FumingSmoked

I wasn't exactly sure of hte numbers, I was basing it on more typical 4cyl numbers and I'm not a 350Z master by any means....Just trying to give a frame of reference.

-Andy

JS4KIKZ 10-01-2004 02:22 PM

I've driven a 350Z and I must say, them things can handle a curve like a 'mo 'fo !! Get Abacus to do any engine building you might need, then do the rest yourself with some friends.

Prada 10-01-2004 03:26 PM

http://www.topsecretjpn.com/topsecretenglish.html

I know they have a kit for 350z around 750hp, I would talk with them. They have number in Japan with them.

buzz12586 10-05-2004 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by fc735
S/C'd 547 BB chevy. you will have power to spare.

drawback is the blower sticking out of the hood.

I would have to agree

gpeele 10-05-2004 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by JS4KIKZ
I've driven a 350Z and I must say, them things can handle a curve like a 'mo 'fo !! Get Abacus to do any engine building you might need, then do the rest yourself with some friends.

damn cant believe i forgot about abacus. they would also be on the list of shops that would be able to pull this off

94 Teggy 10-05-2004 06:49 AM

How about building a Nissan V8, like in the new titan. That would be interesting.