Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

73 VW super beetle issues

Old 01-01-2008, 06:52 PM
where are my balls!?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger
Default 73 VW super beetle issues

Alrighty,

I bought this beautiful car when I was a sophmore in High School and it stopped working after my junior year. The driver seat rails rusted out (i guess) and when I took a turn the seat flipped up and landed on some wires that were running along the driver side door. Ever since my bug has been sitting in the driveway for the past 5 years. I'm looking into getting it fixed back up and driving it again. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Any links to places that you get parts from or any type of knowledge would be great. Thanks in advance!

Issues:
Car doesn't turn over
Doesn't hold a charge (sucks the life outta my battery)

Last edited by Ruger Dooger; 01-02-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:44 AM
where are my balls!?

Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger Ruger Dooger
Default Re: 73 VW super beetle issues

Just took out the voltage regulator so WE will see if I replace that if it will run....hmmm

I guess this will be a project thread now. I'll take a bunch of pics as well for the up to date pics...
Old 01-02-2008, 11:31 AM
This.isEntertainment

Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn

contact white heads, or autohaus, they both do amazing work, fixed my car many of times at excelent pricing...

good luck getting that thing running again, hopefully to see her SLAMMED on her nuts, and camber so angled it makes fat joe look like he does the shoulder lean at a 90 degree angle
Old 01-02-2008, 11:43 AM
Hello

Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality

In your list of issues, you're saying the car doesn't turn? or turn over?

Great resource for wiring: http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/index.html (where i got mine for the Ghia)

Last edited by Priestiality; 01-02-2008 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:35 PM
where are my balls!?

Originally Posted by idkfa
In your list of issues, you're saying the car doesn't turn? or turn over?

Great resource for wiring: http://www.vintagebus.com/wiring/index.html (where i got mine for the Ghia)
Turn over...due to the lack of a charge..i am assuming.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:50 AM
Forcibly Repped

Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu

www.thesamba.com
biggest aircooled VW I know of
great resource and leads to other sites
I had 69 Ghia for awhile
Old 01-04-2008, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

A L I A S has disabled reputation

nice,i never really liked bugs untill i saw this dudes build...effing awsome!!!!!
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1664679
he also has a build thread...that car has been restored all the way down to the floor pan, so if he can find a BRAND NEW floor pan im sure you can find seat rails :P
Old 01-04-2008, 10:44 AM
Hello

Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality Priestiality

Originally Posted by A L I A S
nice,i never really liked bugs untill i saw this dudes build...effing awsome!!!!!
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1664679
he also has a build thread...that car has been restored all the way down to the floor pan, so if he can find a BRAND NEW floor pan im sure you can find seat rails :P
floor pans are easy to find - they are still reproduced. It's funny but rails are harder to find as they are harder to reproduce.

you can find them if you look.. thesamba.com, as mentioned, is a giant VW swapmeet - plus there are hoards of beetles and barns full of beetle parts all over the palce

obviously i'm a little biased coming from the ACVW circles but there are some pretty badass builds out there... a lot of the late model (70s) porsche-killer ( superbeetles that are built for autobahn cruising (200kmph for miles)

There's just so much you can do with a beetle- they're like perfect little project bases

oh, then there's this
Old 01-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Team Ultraspeed

Yell88CRXsi has disabled reputation

I had a 70 beetle. I loved that car but after years of driving it...doing a full restoration...a built 1835cc with dual 34's, it just never seem to measure up to my stock CRX si.
After 20 years of owner her, I sold her in 2005.

I just remember having to pamper that thing...and the constant routine maintenace!
Old 01-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

vdubya63 has disabled reputation

I can help ya out.. Those wires by the door prob runto your voltage regulator and back into your fuse panel and starter.You probably shorted out the regulator which is easy to to do. Im not rel familiar with the newer beetles(70s) but I will do my best. Parts can be had at bap geons, the samba is an excellent source, cal-look.com, the real source, cip.com..

Quick Reply: 73 VW super beetle issues