Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

68 mustang

Old 12-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jspecteg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 68 mustang

i have a 68 mustang that wont start when you turn the key its a grinding noise i pulled the the starter out the flywheel teeth are fine but on the side close to the engine you can see where it was rubbing its getting enough power, engine turns over fine the wire from the bat- starter solenoid, starter solenoid, solenoid- starter, starter are all new starter kicks out far enough outside of engine and works fine

if you think you might know let me know asap
Old 12-15-2009, 06:25 PM
︻╦╤─

DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk DeFunk
Default Re: 68 mustang

If running wires directly to the starter do just fine (jumper cables I take it?), then the circuit is not allowing enough amperage (thus voltage to a point) get to the starter.

This is assuming of course you used the very same battery to jump it. What I do is take jumper cables, connect one end to battery and have two hefty screwdrivers at the other end of the cables (obviously care has to be taken here) and use the ends of the screwdrivers to test. It sounds this is what you have done essentially.. so..

1. Rotted wiring/terminals (ground, + to starter/selenoid)
2. Bad selenoid (doubtful if I understood you correctly)

Is the grind continuous or does the starter grab on the flywheel momentarilly and then grind?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by DeFunk
If running wires directly to the starter do just fine (jumper cables I take it?), then the circuit is not allowing enough amperage (thus voltage to a point) get to the starter.

This is assuming of course you used the very same battery to jump it. What I do is take jumper cables, connect one end to battery and have two hefty screwdrivers at the other end of the cables (obviously care has to be taken here) and use the ends of the screwdrivers to test. It sounds this is what you have done essentially.. so..

1. Rotted wiring/terminals (ground, + to starter/selenoid)
2. Bad selenoid (doubtful if I understood you correctly)

Is the grind continuous or does the starter grab on the flywheel momentarilly and then grind?
at first i thought the same a you so i replaced the solenoid and all the wires
its the right starter im thinking that maybe its too close to the flywheel to where the starter kicks out it cant get in the flywheel teeth if that is possabile
Old 12-16-2009, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

zx3freak has disabled reputation

Is it a rebuilt starter or original? Sounds like the nose cone is off. I had problems with a nose cone bent a slight hair and it wouldn't align properly. Thats why old timers will tell you to shim a starter to make up for a crappy nose cone.

I only buy rebuild starters from napa as I had tons of issues with autozone and advanced. I would think about a new starter. Also you can have a different starter or nose cone as well. With things that old swaps happen.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

yes it was rebuilt and ive gotten it from advanced ill try to get another one and see if it works thanks for the help