Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

4runner hard to start in mornings

Old 10-28-2009, 05:02 AM
The Rev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo_Dreams
Default 4runner hard to start in mornings

My truck has been acting up lately, if it sits for awhile(8-12 hours) then it is a little slow to start. It will crack but not fire, and when it finally does start it will feel like its on the verge of stalling for a few seconds then runs fine. It starts normally with no problems if i start it every few hours, and it drives normal. Anyone have any clue what the problem could be?
Old 10-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Banned

civickid03 has disabled reputation
Default Re: 4runner hard to start in mornings

have you replaced your fuel filter lately?
Old 10-28-2009, 04:25 PM
The Rev

Turbo_Dreams

yea that was the first thing i did, and it seemed to help a little bit. It started a little easier and required less cranking than before, but it didn't completely fix the problem. My only guess is that an injector may be stuck open which is causing the fuel to flood that cylinder and drain out of the line while its sitting.
Old 10-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Registered Member

SmokeCRX has disabled reputation

1 of 2....either your Mass Air meter is dirty or...your #1 Air/fuel ratio sensor (02 sensor but more expensive) is goin bad. If you dont have a check engine light...its prob just the mass air meter. Take it out and inspect for a layer of dirt formed around the filament. CAREFULLY clean it with either mass air cleaner or u can use brake clean. Make sure its dry and re-install. Try cold starting...this will prob fix it. Oh...and if your air filter is dirty u should prob replace that at the same time. Good luck bro.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:14 AM

Gustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these partsGustav is infamous around these parts

Try this. First thing in the A.M. Cycle the key from off to the run position (not start) 3 times in about 10 seconds and then try to start it. This will make the fuel pump "prime" and help boost fuell pressure. If it starts right away, you have a fuel pressure problem. Being as it is getting colder now, it could possibly be a coolant temp sensor. As far as the response above, air flow meter or O2 sensor do not come into play until the car starts. I'm not ruling them out but highly unlikely.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:42 AM
The Rev

Turbo_Dreams

thanks for the responses so far, ive tried priming the system before. Sometimes it seems to help others it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. The problem first started about a month or 2 ago, and it seems to change from day to day
Old 10-29-2009, 06:26 AM
Registered member

J.E.I. J.E.I. J.E.I. J.E.I. J.E.I. J.E.I. J.E.I. J.E.I. J.E.I. J.E.I. J.E.I.

I am gonna say I have to agree with SmokeCRX, I had the same problem a couple weeks ago with my 99 4runner and I cleaned the Mass Air Flow meter(MAF) with some Mass Air flow sensor cleaner, let it dry, and never had the same problem.

Just out of curiosity does it have hesitation from a standstill?
Old 10-29-2009, 10:25 AM
The Rev

Turbo_Dreams

not at all, once its running it doesn't have any hesitation or anything.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

SmokeCRX has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by J.E.I.
I am gonna say I have to agree with SmokeCRX, I had the same problem a couple weeks ago with my 99 4runner and I cleaned the Mass Air Flow meter(MAF) with some Mass Air flow sensor cleaner, let it dry, and never had the same problem.

Just out of curiosity does it have hesitation from a standstill?
My man...I have had alot of these come in at work. Most of them were fixed with the Mass Air. But, I remember having 1 that I replaced the Air/fuel meter on too so I didnt wanna rule that out.