Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

4l60e SES code. Seems easier to fix than a shop is leading on

Old 12-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh
Default 4l60e SES code. Seems easier to fix than a shop is leading on

Service Engine Soon light came on recently in my 2000 Silverado with the 4l60e transmission. Recently it got a trans swap when the old one died so I don't know what all is going on in the "new" one.

The code is a P01870- Transmission Component Slipping.

Almost everywhere online is pointing to two things that seem to cause this:
- A Torque Converter Clutch slipping or going bad
- A valve body failure

According to people who have had the same code pop up, a harsh 1-2 shift occurs as a safety precaution due to the PCM increasing main line pressure to prevent farther damage. I've had a hard 1-2 shift for a while after the trans swap, but only when the truck gets warmed up.

To me, it seems pretty logical to say that when driving, the torque converter clutch or valve body causes some slippage, the PCM increases pressure, the 1-2 shift gets harsh, then the 1870 code is thrown.

A shop wants an outrageous amount to diagnose the problem, even when it seems so simple.

Does anyone up here have experience with that code on a 4l60e, and also does anyone up have experience replacing a TCC or Valvebody?

This truck isn't worth much to me, so the shop can probably go fuck themselves.

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:12 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER
Default Re: 4l60e SES code. Seems easier to fix than a shop is leading on

I had my same problem in my 03 with the 4.8 and the 4l60E.

I replaced the valve body and problem solved. its not that hard to do.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Registered member

catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh

Originally Posted by Boost-box
I had my same problem in my 03 with the 4.8 and the 4l60E.

I replaced the valve body and problem solved. its not that hard to do.
Awesome, thanks for the reply. Did you have a hard 1-2 shift when the truck warmed up?

I've heard you can get to the valve body by taking off the pan, any special tools required?
Old 12-23-2009, 12:35 PM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

My truck felt like it had a 4500 stall in it when I had this problem. You can get the the valve body from the pan, no specifics were needed. But be aware, like you said from the OP, it could be a convertor issue also. Either one is fairly simple to change out. Mine just happened to be the valve body. Change the filter while yer at it.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Registered member

Sounds like I'll scoop it from the shop and try to diagnose it myself. The shop wanted 2k, just to diagnose the problem what a crock of shit.

Other people feel free to chime in.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:15 PM
NAZI mod

Originally Posted by catfSSh
Sounds like I'll scoop it from the shop and try to diagnose it myself. The shop wanted 2k, just to diagnose the problem what a crock of shit.

Other people feel free to chime in.
Holy crap 2k? What the fuck?

You could buy the converter and valve body for 1/4 of that and get them both installed for another $500 lol
Old 12-23-2009, 02:17 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

they probably wanted 2000 to rebuild the tranny...

there is no way in hell they were charging you 2000 to tell you whats wrong with it..
Old 12-23-2009, 03:39 PM
Fuck my life

TexasGlock23 will become famous soon enoughTexasGlock23 will become famous soon enough

www.gmfullsize.com
Old 12-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Boost-box
Holy crap 2k? What the fuck?

You could buy the converter and valve body for 1/4 of that and get them both installed for another $500 lol
Originally Posted by nftuatn
they probably wanted 2000 to rebuild the tranny...

there is no way in hell they were charging you 2000 to tell you whats wrong with it..
Nah I kid you not. I called yesterday, talked to the mechanic that gave me the quote, explained to him what I was thinking about the hard shift being because of th pcm increasing mainline pressure due to a slipping torque converter clutch or failing valve body. I got silence for 5 seconds and then he says "I don't really know what's goin on to be honest, I'm more of a tires and brakes guy."

That kinda pissed me off that he's going to give me a 2k quote for something he has no idea about.

And I'll check out that site, thanks,
Old 12-24-2009, 11:48 AM
NAZI mod

Originally Posted by catfSSh
Nah I kid you not. I called yesterday, talked to the mechanic that gave me the quote, explained to him what I was thinking about the hard shift being because of th pcm increasing mainline pressure due to a slipping torque converter clutch or failing valve body. I got silence for 5 seconds and then he says "I don't really know what's goin on to be honest, I'm more of a tires and brakes guy."
That kinda pissed me off that he's going to give me a 2k quote for something he has no idea about.

And I'll check out that site, thanks,
L-O-fuicking-L.

wow.

try a different shop bro.

Quick Reply: 4l60e SES code. Seems easier to fix than a shop is leading on