Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

350 V8 Help

Old 01-18-2010, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LowGMC has disabled reputation
Default 350 V8 Help

Ok, anyone want to help me figure this one out?

I have a 82 S10 thats bagged and bodydropped with a V8 swap and i keep killing batteries. My first guess was the alternator so I took it off and ran it to Autozone and it tested fine. I then figured maybe the alternator was fine but the wiring to it was bad so I took the whole truck down to Autozone to have the alternator output tested on the truck. Once again it tested good.

Now my guess was maybe a draw on the battery when the truck was off so i bought a new battery and whenever I cut off the truck I would disconnect the battery to avoid a draw on it. I drove the truck a few days to test and see if the battery would die and on the 4th day, the lights got dim and the truck died and when I tried to start it back up the battery was dead, just like when an alternator is failing.

Do I need a High Output Alternator?
Any help will be appreciated.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:10 PM
Doin it in the dirt.

TWOFAWTY has disabled reputation
Default Re: 350 V8 Help

Is it the right alternator? Right battery? Belt tight? You said it's bagged, is your pump drawing somehow when the key is off?

Good luck!
Old 01-18-2010, 05:14 PM
Registered Member

Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92 Killerzracing92

Something is obviosly pulling current. Or not allowing current to flow to the batt.

Im thinking its just a wiring issue. A car will run with just the batt, especially if its carbed. I drove from Taco bell in front of spotsy mall all the way to stafford KG line, then it died.

You might want to check all your wiring comming off the alt.

Turns out on my alt, the wire had broken and that was the reason it wasnt charging. Happens when you have an original car from 71.

I doubt you need an HO alt, unless you run your air suspension everytime you hope in the truck.

Check the alternator wiriing, does it have an internal or external voltage regulator?

Pull fuses on all uneeded accesories and be prepared to spend time hunting it down.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:16 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

turn the truck off...and disconect the battery cable...when you put it back on see if it arcs badly???

it may have a slight arc for the dome light...

but if its anymore than that you have a draw...

is the radio staying on??
do you have a valve sticking ?
switch sticking?
something is drawing voltage when the truck is off...
Old 01-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

LowGMC has disabled reputation

Thanx for the input fellas im going to mess with it some this week and see what I can find