Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

300zx tranny conversion

Old 10-11-2003, 10:29 AM
Boner Jams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
-Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal -Danimal
Default 300zx tranny conversion

Difficult to swap auto to manual? let me know theres a auto tt im lookin at but i dont want auto
Old 10-11-2003, 04:08 PM
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous

Good luck, 300ZX tranny's SUCK ASS to work on. I wouldn't drop another tranny out of one of those if I had to.
Old 10-13-2003, 12:17 PM
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker

Dude, I was just about to do it. But there is ALOT to it. I mean ALOT, no I'm not being lazy here. There are a slew of parts you need. I can send you a link (have to find it at home) that details all your options and required parts. To do the job properly you have to pull the engine. You're looking at alot of money on parts alone. If you don't have your own lift and all necessary tools, you're gonna spend quite a bit at a shop. Not to mention, you have to alter the interior (center dash console, shifter, pedals, etc). After analyzing the whole situation, I determined that the next time my tranny blows I am just gonna buy the built auto tranny from Specialty Z.

Don't fuck up like I did, buy a manual.

The 300ZX auto tranny is pretty well built (although it can benefit from a better tranny cooler). But after aging or power mods, it will fail. I have blown 3 automatic trannies in the past year.
And trust me, it will be a bitch doing the conversion.
Much cheaper and less painful to buy a manual from the start.

If I could go back in time, I'd just import a Fairlady TT from Japan w/ manual tansmission(looked so zweet in Kill Bill).
Old 10-13-2003, 12:18 PM
Atheist.

Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker Skywalker

Originally posted by Blasphemous
Good luck, 300ZX tranny's SUCK ASS to work on. I wouldn't drop another tranny out of one of those if I had to.
Don't lie. You enjoyed those long sleepless nights of blood, sweat, and burnt tranny fluid.
How's it going bro? Drop me a line sometime.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:03 PM
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous

Originally posted by Skywalker
Don't lie. You enjoyed those long sleepless nights of blood, sweat, and burnt tranny fluid.
How's it going bro? Drop me a line sometime.
I had alot of fun working on the car, I won't like about that. Was it a pain in the ass? HELL YEA
Old 10-14-2003, 05:09 AM
Atheist.

Shit, it was a pain in the ass just installing boost jets into the intake lines underneath the Intercooler piping. Not an easy car to work on by any means.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:07 AM
Doin' (today) stuff

DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS

i know mgbraceman was considering it, and i didn't know if he's talked to any of you about it, but he's looking into the possibility of dropping a RB26 tranny into his Z32. is this feasible? he really just wants a 6-spd and figured that would work the best. any thoughts?
Old 10-14-2003, 06:48 AM
Atheist.

Originally posted by DoC-JoneS
but he's looking into the possibility of dropping a RB26 tranny into his Z32. is this feasible? he really just wants a 6-spd and figured that would work the best. any thoughts?
It has been argued by many that a 6speed is not worth the trouble on a Z32. The engine and diff are designed to produce a power band that matches the 5 speed transmission.

I've never seen anybody attempt to mate one from a RB26 to a Z. I have seen ideas about swapping in a T56 transmission from a Dodge Viper or Camaro. The 350Z 6 speed has also been mentioned, but it apparently will not fit.

Per Tom Bell regarding swapping in a 6 speed transmission:
"The tranny won't bolt up directly. The mounting plate isn't the same pattern, and the input shaft is a different diameter with a different spline count. The input shaft length to the tranny front cover is different as well, and the tranny itself is longer, with a different mounting point. As Mike Smith points out, the starter's also on the other side, which may interfere with the steering box."

In addition to that, I am pretty sure that some custom parts will need to be fabricated to make it work including (but not limited to): driveshaft, bell housing, clutch, rear tranny mount.

If your buddy can afford the 6 speed transmission and has the money and resource to produce the customization that would be required, he would just be better off getting the Holinger H6S (Holinger makes a 6 speed sequential gearbox for Z32's and Skylines). I believe the transmission runs upward of $10K and Tomei makes a bell-housing adaptor for it which runs @ $1100.

Good luck...seriously.
Old 10-14-2003, 10:32 AM
Doin' (today) stuff

DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS DoC-JoneS

thanx for the info, i will definetly relay that to him. any option as far as a performance 5spd? i know i've seen built trannies for supra's but what about the Z?
Old 10-14-2003, 10:43 AM
Atheist.

The manual transmission is fine out of the box. He'll just need a heavy duty clutch and lightened flywheel.

I'd go with either an OsGiken multi-plate clutch and flywheel with larger slave cylinder; or an RPS clutch (tried and true). OsGiken also makes a close ratio gear set (intended for circuit racing). RPS offers a carbon clutch, advertised as the last clutch you will ever need. It's pretty damn expensive though.

Quick Reply: 300zx tranny conversion