Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

240sx ka24de KNOCK or RATTLE ????

Old 12-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dragkenfire is on a distinguished road
Default 240sx ka24de KNOCK or RATTLE ????

I recently have started hearing a slight rattle from the front of my engine, so first thing i did was tear down the upper half and when i did i noticed the top chain guide had already been removed by previous owner, so i checked my tensioner and noticed thatr was gummed up so i sprayed her down and then i checked the side guide which was tor all to hell. Nissan put out a post that the upper guide and upper left guide were faulty andcould break oveer time causing more engine damage than good there solution is to remove the guide completely, so i did. Im still having the rattle so i posted a vid on youtube andwas hopin g some ppl would look and could give me some info. Should i just go ahead and do a full timing kit or could it be something worse than a worn down guide??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzLfQJ4kla4
Old 12-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE
Default Re: 240sx ka24de KNOCK or RATTLE ????

its still kinda hard to tell from the video. Rod knock is pretty evident. You'll have a clank clank noise coming from your bottom end.

What oil are you using?

Could be a bad lifter. If its coming from your top end and its not the guide then i would look at the lifters next.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

im using valvoline 10w-30 and a quart of lucas oil additive. i have noticed that after driving her a bit its more evident. im going try and get a better video where you can really hear the scratching.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE

rod knock is very loud as the RPM's increase. Any metal shaving when you changed your oil? Why additives? I always used mobil 1 synthetic in my ka and never had a problem.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

ill be changing it tomorrow, ive alwasy used lucas in pretty much all of my vehicles oil. Like you said i dont think it could be rod knock, it really sounds like a scraping sound. im thinking im going have to replace the lower guide. u think i should go all out and get the full timing kit or should i just do my tensioners and guides??
Old 12-28-2009, 05:35 AM
Registered Member

Since i work at carquest i can get the kit without sprockets for about 70 dollars cheaper than the full kit.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:00 PM
still alive

gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele

I would try a drain and fill without the additive, straight valvoline 5 or 10w30 synthetic is all I've been using in all my vehicles since forever with no issues. If you're changing out the lower guides I'd go ahead and change everything out, even the front main seal, especially if you plan on keeping this motor for a while. I'm assuming there are some decent miles on the engine by the way.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

dorydorydriftin has disabled reputation

had the same issue on my ka, started as a small noice did'nt really seem to be a huge issue, drove it about anouther 100 miles and the noice turned into a knock from my rod. Guessing the scratching kind of rattling noice was a wear/warped/and disformation in the rod and then after time the repeated heatings of the rod it eventually broke....
A ton of stuff can cause a rattle, seen case's where it was just a loose bolt on the exhaust, could be someting significant like a main bearing.. I'd suggest ( you work at carquest ) scan the car and see if any trouble codes are being thrown at you, also if you feel up to it maybe hit a compression check on the motor.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

dorydorydriftin has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by dorydorydriftin
had the same issue on my ka, started as a small noice did'nt really seem to be a huge issue, drove it about anouther 100 miles and the noice turned into a knock from my rod. Guessing the scratching kind of rattling noice was a wear/warped/and disformation in the rod and then after time the repeated heatings of the rod it eventually broke....
A ton of stuff can cause a rattle, seen case's where it was just a loose bolt on the exhaust, could be someting significant like a main bearing.. I'd suggest ( you work at carquest ) scan the car and see if any trouble codes are being thrown at you, also if you feel up to it maybe hit a compression check on the motor.
Might have mentioned it, how many miles on motor ?

ahh quoted myself,, fuck fail
Old 01-01-2010, 05:12 PM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

sucks to hear, but i think that wing is the noise your hearing

Quick Reply: 240sx ka24de KNOCK or RATTLE ????