Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

200sx Se-r Maf

Old 09-06-2004, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mpg9999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 200sx Se-r Maf

Originally Posted by 20psi 240sx
yeah the maf is more then likely not your problem. to me it sounds like someone changed the timing. Nissan's are almost imposible to accurately set the timing without a snapon tool or techtom mdm100. if you have a snapon tool, plug it in with the car at idle.
1. read the ign timing with the snapon tool....it may be anywhere from 9-20. for this example, lets say it says 13 degrees btdc.

2. hook up a timing light and read what the crank pulley says timing is. there are 6 noches on a sr20de pulley. the first on the left is -5, then 0,5,10,15,20.

3. if the timing light shows 13, just like the snopon tool..you are done. if not, make it say whatever the snapon says at the same time as the snapon says it. double check as the timing will move around alot. key here is to make it say the same as the tool.

4. if you use good gas, set it a couple degrees more advance, ie if snapon says 13, set with timing light to 15.

the biggest thing here is to FORGET that a sr20de should be at 15 at idle.
i think you should try this word for word and see if it fixes the problem. if you don't have a snapon tool, or your mechanic doesn't want to listen to instructions from a punk like me, i have a techtom mdm100 and know a ton about the sr20de. you could bring it to the shop for me to check it out.
Good luck!
Shaun
Unfortunatly that will not work. The ECU assumes the base timing is always at 15. My techtom MDM-100 will read 15 degrees no matter where I put the distributor. It has no way of knowing that you moved it. The easiest (although not safest) way is to just look at where the bolt is on the dist. At 15 degrees it the is USUALLY center. For directions to set your timing, go to http://www.se-r.net/engine/about_timing.html Its important to note that you can not set your base timing if your idle is not correct, and if its not stable. Good luck.

-Mike
Old 09-06-2004, 05:19 PM

mpg9999 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ya know what, I read that again and I see what your saying. Your just telling him to set it at whatever the ECU thinks its at. That should work as long as you can get an accurate reading, but that is generally the thing people have issues with.

-Mike
Old 09-06-2004, 06:30 PM

projsr20det projsr20det projsr20det projsr20det projsr20det projsr20det

Originally Posted by mpg9999
Its important to note that you can not set your base timing if your idle is not correct, and if its not stable. Good luck.

-Mike
This is what is important. You have to get your base idle correct first, then check timing.

Before you do anything with timing you have to put the ecu into a diagnostic/adjustment mode, not sure if the Snap On tool has that or its just reading what the ECU wants.

A Nissan Consult has this feature or you can just do it manually- Car off, Unplugging the TPS, Start, rev to 3k+ x 3, adjust the idle (if needed), adjust timing with dist and gun, car off, replug TPS, before starting car check TPS adjustment (middle wire, key on, .45-.50v). You dont need any special tools to check the basics, its nice but not needed.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

20psi 240sx is an unknown quantity at this point

with a snap on or techtom, you don't have to worry about that. i can set your timing to spec with you holding the revs at 3000rpm if you wanted. just by setting it to where the ecu wants it.
Shaun
Old 09-06-2004, 07:06 PM

Shaun I know you work for JGY, but we both know thats not how to do it. The thread starter needs to get his car running correctly to start off with.

If the SnapOn tool is just like a TechTom then its just a sensor display.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:33 AM
Iridium V

MGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond repute

The car has a stable idle so that's not a problem, and I've checked the ignition timing at idle and it was 15-14 degrees, so that's not a problem, and was running at 17 degrees when the problem started. It has jim wolf ECU. But I see what you are saying. Correct me if I'm wrong. I need to verify what timing at RPM the ECu is set to run and then check the corresponding timing with a gun.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MGBRaceman
The car has a stable idle so that's not a problem, and I've checked the ignition timing at idle and it was 15-14 degrees, so that's not a problem, and was running at 17 degrees when the problem started. It has jim wolf ECU. But I see what you are saying. Correct me if I'm wrong. I need to verify what timing at RPM the ECu is set to run and then check the corresponding timing with a gun.
that is correct. and usually like someone mentioned earlier, the distributor is almost right in the middle of its adjustment when it is set right. a tad clockwise, but right in the middle should get you within 2 degrees or so.

projectsr20det, the techtom is a display and doesn't change anything. that is correct. it reads the value from the ecu, converts it into a number.
that number is what the ecu expects the timing to phisically be. so if it says 15, the ecu is wanting the timing to be at 15btdc. if you check it with a light and it says 15 just like the techtom, your timing is right on the money. if the techtom says 19 and you set it with a light to 15 btdc, you are 4 degrees retarded. SET IT WITH A LIGHT TO MATCH WHAT THE TECHTOM SAYS! the fsm tells you how to set the timing if you have no diagnostic tool. and that way works 75% time to get you close. but if your tach is off, and you think you have a 750rpm idle, and you actually have a 825rpm idle, 15 degrees will be too little as at 825 rpm the failsafe timing map will be at a value of 18 btdc.
Old 09-07-2004, 06:54 PM

Please, the inaccurate tach is widely known. Dig deeper.

I see that you understand that the mechanical and electrical timing readings/adjustments are seperate but work together, yes this is true. The method of how you adjust your timing is wrong, however. If thats how you do it, fine. More power to you.

MGB- Assuming that all ignition, fuel, no air/vauum leaks are good. Try a new MAF.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:06 AM
Registered Member

well it works perfect for me. i just have to fix too many cars that the owners try to set their timing the way the fsm says, and get it all wrong. my method is my method, and it has worked on over 50 cars that i have put sr20det, sr20ve, sr16ve and sr20de motors into. so take it for what its worth.
Shaun
Old 09-08-2004, 10:16 AM
Iridium V

MGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond repute

Yes is seems that that is the only way, I don't have any Nissan specific diagnostic tools, I set the timing with a digital timing light to 15 degrees and the timing light also has a tach based on the "dwell" and fire, I know that dwell isn't a true term for the ignition system on this car. The Idle was very close to 750 and timing seems to be fine. The only thing I haven't checked is timing at higher RPM to make sure the system is advancing properly. But my gut says it's a MAF.