Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

2000 Civic - Stopped Running out of the blue. Details inside.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:20 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift!
Default 2000 Civic - Stopped Running out of the blue. Details inside.

Car: 2000 Honda Civic EX, ~150,000 Miles, D16Y8.

Within the last ~300 miles:

Brand New Plugs (Properly Gapped)
Brand New Wires (OEM Spec)
Brand New OEM Head Gasket (Installed correctly, Honda FSM followed for Headstud tightening etc)
Brand New Timing Belt, Tensioner, Water Pump. (Timing was perfect when installed, before start up)
Fresh Oil
Coolant Flush/Fresh Coolant

The only bad mechanical thing I can think of is the fact that the gasket between the 2 pieces of the headers is blown. Has been that way for quite some time though.

Car hadn't been driven often the last month or so, but was started every couple days and ran for a bit.

Saturday, took the car out at night, I was aware of having some battery troubles. Battery ended up dying on me. Got a jump, drove home. Car ran flawlessly. Never got on the car, never pushed above 3500rpm.

Sunday morning, pulled battery, had tested at Advanced, Battery was toast. Purchased new battery. Took it home, installed car started right up. Drove around my neighbourhood a couple times. Starting and stopping a couple times. Everything went smoothly. Drove about 20 minutes to my work place (Newport News to Yorktown) and detailed the car. Car had zero issues. Spent about 4-5 hours detailing. She started right up with no problems, and I drove her to walmart, and then home. Car had zero issues.

Monday, I started the car, and drove around the neighbourhood once for about 10 minutes. Car ran fine, zero issues.

Today, Drove the car to Taco Bell around noon, (3 minute drive) car had zero issues, parked, and ate lunch inside. After eating, decided I wanted to give it a quick rinse. Drove the car up the road to the car wash. Car drove there no problem. I did a quick 5 minute rinse. Hood was closed, and didn't focus spray on the front bumper (pretty sure no water, or very little, got inside engine bay). Went to start car, and it started fairly roughly, and idle harshly. White smoke from exhaust, and a gross odor. Moved the car 15 feet to the vacuums (people were in line). Let the car sit for a bit, vacuumed, and used my phone. After about 10 minutes. Tried to start the car, she tried to turn over, but wouldn't catch.

Checked my fluids:

Oil, "felt" normal, smelled normal, normal coloring, proper level.
Coolant, detected nothing out of the normal, at a proper height.

Thoughts?
Old 10-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Registered member

Richmond Richmond Richmond Richmond Richmond Richmond Richmond Richmond Richmond Richmond Richmond
Default Re: 2000 Civic - Stopped Running out of the blue. Details inside.

Originally Posted by OhShift!
Car: 2000 Honda Civic EX, ~150,000 Miles, D16Y8.

Within the last ~300 miles:

Brand New Plugs (Properly Gapped)
Brand New Wires (OEM Spec)
Brand New OEM Head Gasket (Installed correctly, Honda FSM followed for Headstud tightening etc)
Brand New Timing Belt, Tensioner, Water Pump. (Timing was perfect when installed, before start up)
Fresh Oil
Coolant Flush/Fresh Coolant

The only bad mechanical thing I can think of is the fact that the gasket between the 2 pieces of the headers is blown. Has been that way for quite some time though.

Car hadn't been driven often the last month or so, but was started every couple days and ran for a bit.

Saturday, took the car out at night, I was aware of having some battery troubles. Battery ended up dying on me. Got a jump, drove home. Car ran flawlessly. Never got on the car, never pushed above 3500rpm.

Sunday morning, pulled battery, had tested at Advanced, Battery was toast. Purchased new battery. Took it home, installed car started right up. Drove around my neighbourhood a couple times. Starting and stopping a couple times. Everything went smoothly. Drove about 20 minutes to my work place (Newport News to Yorktown) and detailed the car. Car had zero issues. Spent about 4-5 hours detailing. She started right up with no problems, and I drove her to walmart, and then home. Car had zero issues.

Monday, I started the car, and drove around the neighbourhood once for about 10 minutes. Car ran fine, zero issues.

Today, Drove the car to Taco Bell around noon, (3 minute drive) car had zero issues, parked, and ate lunch inside. After eating, decided I wanted to give it a quick rinse. Drove the car up the road to the car wash. Car drove there no problem. I did a quick 5 minute rinse. Hood was closed, and didn't focus spray on the front bumper (pretty sure no water, or very little, got inside engine bay). Went to start car, and it started fairly roughly, and idle harshly. White smoke from exhaust, and a gross odor. Moved the car 15 feet to the vacuums (people were in line). Let the car sit for a bit, vacuumed, and used my phone. After about 10 minutes. Tried to start the car, she tried to turn over, but wouldn't catch.

Checked my fluids:

Oil, "felt" normal, smelled normal, normal coloring, proper level.
Coolant, detected nothing out of the normal, at a proper height.

Thoughts?
If I had to guess, I'd say it has to do with a blown gasket. I'm no mechanic, though.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Registered member

OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift! OhShift!

An exhaust manifold gasket? I can't see how that would cause the car not to start.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:24 AM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

Originally Posted by Richmond
If I had to guess, I'd say it has to do with a blown gasket. I'm no mechanic, though.

retard
Old 10-04-2011, 12:10 PM
Banned

twinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these partstwinturbomeow is infamous around these parts

vaccume leak?
Old 10-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Registered member

sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl? sixcyl?

Could be a headgasket issue? But that normally shows up in the oil.
That is very strange to me. There was nothing in the coolant when you did the exchange right?]
It could be a vaccum leak. Seems like a loss of compression to me though.

1.Check for vac leaks.
2.Check the headgasket/see if it will start
3.Come back or contact a mechanic.

That would be my plan of action. I have a 97 ex myself.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:11 PM
Registered member

Just got the vehicle home.

Remember that blown exhaust manifold gasket? Well, tried starting the car, and it blew coolant straight through there. Tells me it's a blown head gasket.

I'll admit my mechanical knowledge of a motor is limited, but I assumed that blowing a head gasket only occurs from over heating? My temp gauge showed my temperature right in the middle, my fan was running, and the car didn't see above 3.5k.

The car blew a headgasket previously, (hence the 300 mile ago servicing), but everything that I could think of was replaced that would have to do with it.

I'm stumped.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:25 PM
Slappin Curtis

bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004 bluesrt2004

Originally Posted by Richmond
Your right, your not. Shut the fuck up.

Did you have the head checked when you replaced the head gasket to be sure it wasn't warped? If so, do you remember where on the gasket the issue came from? Seems to me that the head was warped, and caused this one to fail as well.

Edit: Saw previous post.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by bluesrt2004
Your right, your not. Shut the fuck up.

Did you have the head checked when you replaced the head gasket to be sure it wasn't warped? If so, do you remember where on the gasket the issue came from? Seems to me that the head was warped, and caused this one to fail as well.

Edit: Saw previous post.
I took the head to Apple Machine shop, told them to inspect, clean, mirror surface it, and all that fun stuff. Was told everything checked out.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:27 PM
Registered member

Was talking to a couple people. They seem to think since I reused the head studs, that I may have stretched them.

Sounds like I maybe picking some ARP's up.

Quick Reply: 2000 Civic - Stopped Running out of the blue. Details inside.