Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

03 d17a1

Old 12-07-2007, 09:52 PM
in the works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIP94h22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 03 d17a1

will a 03 d17 fit in my 95 eg and can i use a p28 ecu if i don't hook up the unnecessary sensors like the cam and crank.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:57 AM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal
Default Re: 03 d17a1

I've never seen it done, fitment wise....

... but really, I do not think it will work without major fabrication.... not especially with a P28 ECU. Two main reasons:
1. Returnless fuel system
2. Different Spark distribution system

In that case, might as well yank the OBD1 motor harness and just use the 03 motor harness... but goodluck trying the make the "accessories" function.....
Old 12-10-2007, 07:18 PM
in the works

what exactly is the returnless fuel system and there is a place to bolt up a dizzy and the firing order is the same. most modifications would be minor or is there something that i don't see
Old 12-10-2007, 08:25 PM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal

If you follow the flow path of a 92-00 civic fuel system, it goes like this:
Tank--> pump--> fuel filter --> fuel rail--> pressure regulator--> then back to the tank

What that means is that whatever "unburnt" fuel is being returned back to the fuel tank.

On 7th gen civics, the fuel flow stops at the fuel rail. The distributor itself is a totally different technology. Yes, the firing order maybe the same, but the coils are designed to react different from its predecessor. Firing signals are controlled by the ECU itself. So, if you really want to do this swap, you are better off using everything from that D17a1 motor.... include the motor harness and ECU with it. Now the challenge relies on trying to convert your accessories to work.... such as gauge cluster operation and lighting....
Old 12-10-2007, 08:34 PM
٩███۶ wilrep 4 a leg

ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ ಠ__ಠ

Long story short, its not a good swap for the money IMO, you need custom mounts, harness, and fuel system. by the time youve spent all the money doing this you could have put something more conventional in, ie a B-Series, or even a K-series. I remember seeing a stoked d16 using a d17 crank but still that required alot of machine work.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:43 AM
www.CM-R.net

CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing CavemanRacing

It has been done. Check d-series.org.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:07 AM
...pulls trailer!!!

TurboEG8 TurboEG8 TurboEG8 TurboEG8

Originally Posted by thermal
If you follow the flow path of a 92-00 civic fuel system, it goes like this:
Tank--> pump--> fuel filter --> fuel rail--> pressure regulator--> then back to the tank

What that means is that whatever "unburnt" fuel is being returned back to the fuel tank.

On 7th gen civics, the fuel flow stops at the fuel rail. The distributor itself is a totally different technology. Yes, the firing order maybe the same, but the coils are designed to react different from its predecessor. Firing signals are controlled by the ECU itself. So, if you really want to do this swap, you are better off using everything from that D17a1 motor.... include the motor harness and ECU with it. Now the challenge relies on trying to convert your accessories to work.... such as gauge cluster operation and lighting....
he could always use msd stand alone ignition management. the fuel system could be tackled just like a k-swap. use an external fuel pressure regulater and its own return line fed into the factory return line.... ta-da magic
Old 12-11-2007, 09:15 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by RIP94h22
will a 03 d17 fit in my 95 eg and can i use a p28 ecu if i don't hook up the unnecessary sensors like the cam and crank.
I'm going to have to stop you right there. The ECU doesn't work without cam and crank sensors hooked up. Why would you think they're unnecessary????

Next.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:05 PM
in the works

The p28 doesn't use cam and crank sensors homie or even a knock sensor. The odb2 ecu does but not the one i'm using because it's odb1.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:18 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Just because the sensors aren't directly on the cam and crank, it doesn't mean they're not used.. You're still detecting engine position, you're just not doing it right off of the crank itself. You still need something to reference the cylinder position, etc., so why be ghetto and use a distributor if the entire system you need is already in place on the engine you're going to use? Just use an ECU that works with that engine. Using a distributor is a step backward in technology anyway. Most aftermarket ECUs will work with the D17, there's nothing that's rocket science about the ignition setup that is on that engine, and it's a very common setup. It's a coil on plug setup, very good and very easy to interface to. You could use practically any aftermarket ECU that is more sophisticated than Megasquirt (it only has one spark output I think). I'd have to do a little digging and find out if the coil on plug setup has the 12V coil drivers integrated into the ECU or into the coil itself, as both as very common. This would have a little bearing on what ECU you could use, as some have the 12V drivers built in and some don't.

They don't use a knock sensor, no. A P30 is the exact same ECU (same PCB, parts, etc) with an additional knock sensor interface board.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-11-2007 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply: 03 d17a1