Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

XJ ..Lift question

Old 12-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Small turbo whore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Livin Legend has disabled reputation
Default XJ ..Lift question

Hey guys whats up,

Im new to the offroad, muddin thing i bought a 89 Xj and im looking for a decent lift, nothin to crazy. Ive been wanting to do a jeep for a long time. Im not looking to build a hardcore rock crawler or anything, but something decent to go take off road just have a little fun. Ive been looking at a lift 3 inches or so, looking to put on 31's and i figured a 3 inch would be proper. Im doing my research and from what i can tell there are two ways to go about this, I dont want to spend thousands to lift this jeep but im willing to spend some money on good parts. From what ive found, i can use spring spaces up front and shackles in back, and get longer shocks to accomidate....

or i could get a add a leaf set up, taller springs and shocks of course, anyone who has done this chime in please, but i hear with this type of lift the ride is harsh. Im not too worried about it, but to be honest ive never really ridin in anything lifted so i wouldnt know what harsh is like in a lifted vehichle. Any advice or opinions would be great. thanks

Last edited by Livin Legend; 12-19-2007 at 11:36 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:07 PM
throwbAcura

dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22 dave22
Default Re: XJ ..Lift question

Old Man Emu. I'm new to it all myself but that's the route I'm taking.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:15 AM
just a little 4x4

ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck

well usually if you get a taller spring it has approximately the same spring rate as factory to keep the ride quality . . . many people go with the 3 inch coil spacer in the front . . it's a cheap route and works . .the rear . . i would not raise it 3 inches with a shackle . the shackle would be excessively long . . . .plus I don't know if they make a decent shackle . . so I would suggest lift blocks or add a leaf in the rear . .although like usually an add a leaf will stiffen spring rate and make for a rougher ride . . also I think 3 inches is about as far as you can take an xj without running into pinion angle probs and having to get adjustable control arms and stuff . . .
well this is just from a chevy guy but have helped people i know on xj's and am on a club with way to many of em
Old 12-20-2007, 08:30 AM
In TATTRAT we trust

BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE

I thought at sub '90s had front leaf springs.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:34 AM
just a little 4x4

ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck ChevyMudtruck

Originally Posted by jesizzle
I thought at sub '90s had front leaf springs.
xj's as far as I know had coil front and rear leaf . . . yj's the wranglers had front leafs . .
Old 12-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Small turbo whore

Livin Legend has disabled reputation

Did more research today, are there any other arms, i need, i see they sell, a drop pitman arm,and steering stabilizer kit for 3-5inch lifts, is that something needed to do a 3inch? i think im going to go with 3 inch blocks in the rear and spacers up front, and possibly some rough counrty shocks as a start. looking for some 31's or 32 as well..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-...3524QQtcZphoto

Last edited by Livin Legend; 12-20-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

The1amradio has disabled reputation

i would steer away from blocks, and i would go for a bastard pack for the rear springs using leaves from an S-10. for the front, i would go for TJ springs. a lot more info on this stuff can be found on NAXJA.com or jeepforum.com. that will get you 3-4" and cost you around $170.

if you do go with blocks in the rear, i would do a combination of a block and a shackle, but seriously, just do the bastard pack.

Last edited by The1amradio; 12-20-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:09 AM
just a little 4x4

alot of people don't like blocks . .because they can kick out . .in fact adam (crxextreme) kicked his out the other day . . but had degree shim and block stacked and it broke the center pin on the degree shim . .. don't know if his u bolts worked loose or what . . i never kicked the blocks out form under my truck. . . i wrapped and bent my rear leafs but i'm running a 500+ hp big block and was running 44's . . with a 4 inch block in the rear
Old 12-21-2007, 11:19 AM
takin it all

HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY HORNY4ZORNY

just buy a complete kit.
Rubicon Express has a some very good kits.
Skyjacker has some decent kits.

Blocks...i hate blocks, but thats my personal opinion

go to NAXJA.com and ask those guys, they know everything there is to know about XJ's
Old 12-21-2007, 03:38 PM
just JUMP!

lilOxj is on a distinguished road

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...udget_Lift.htm

Quick Reply: XJ ..Lift question