Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

towing a bike or two with a 4cyl. wrangler?

Old 10-26-2005, 04:31 AM
ASE Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of
Default towing a bike or two with a 4cyl. wrangler?

im looking at wranglers for

a.) being able to tow my bike to the race track

b.) being able to get around in the snow.

my loan terms say 1998 and newer. im seeing alot of 4 cylinder wranglers, but im wondering if that 4 cylinder is going to be enough to tow my bike and possibly one other 3 hours across the state.

any input? anyone do it? whats the gas milage like vs the 6 cylinder engine? am i better off getting the 6 cylinder? are the 4 cyl. incredibly underpowered? it will definately be 4wd if i end up with one. im not to concerned about off-roading either, so i dont need the power for that.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:34 AM
_______

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____
Default Re: towing a bike or two with a 4cyl. wrangler?

4 Cyl. will be just fine. Most bikes weigh no more than 3-400 lbs. so you'll be ok.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:41 AM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by geonfreaq
4 Cyl. will be just fine. Most bikes weigh no more than 3-400 lbs. so you'll be ok.
I would agree.

I've seen pictures on killboy.com of people towing several bikes with an underpowered car to and from the dragon, and they didn't seem to have any problems. I'd rather use a 4 cylinder Jeep Wrangler than a Festiva.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:32 AM
skankin'

dubwize has much to be proud ofdubwize has much to be proud ofdubwize has much to be proud ofdubwize has much to be proud ofdubwize has much to be proud ofdubwize has much to be proud ofdubwize has much to be proud ofdubwize has much to be proud ofdubwize has much to be proud ofdubwize has much to be proud ofdubwize has much to be proud of

Honestly, the 4cyl is not better on gas at all especially towing or with bigger tires. If you keep it stock, towing one bike might not be too bad. Short wheel-base vehicles like the Wrangler aren't really great for towing applications in the first place depending on how long your trailer is. I can't imagine your trailer is very long for a bike so that won't be a problem. I've only towed trailers around town at low speeds so I can't tell you how it is on the highway. If you do get a Wrangler, I suggest the 6cyl. It will save you headaches later on.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

TSI4Free has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by shoes
If you do get a Wrangler, I suggest the 6cyl. It will save you headaches later on.
I would deffinatly go with the 4.0L as well. The 4cyl. are a pile of crap.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:05 PM
PandaMania

BigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these partsBigHead Ted is infamous around these parts

I got a 2002 wrangler Apex edition with a 6cyl ac,ps,cd,soundbar, auto trans, 4x4 with 31 on them and a almost new set of regular size wrangler tires. Also was light bar, running boards, Champion Winch, and it has i think leather or fake leather. 19500 obo. Has only 43xxx miles on it.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:29 AM
ASE Master

onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of

thats exactly what i wanted to know about the 4cyl. jeeps being a pos.

Originally Posted by BigHead Ted
I got a 2002 wrangler Apex edition with a 6cyl ac,ps,cd,soundbar, auto trans, 4x4 with 31 on them and a almost new set of regular size wrangler tires. Also was light bar, running boards, Champion Winch, and it has i think leather or fake leather. 19500 obo. Has only 43xxx miles on it.
i appreciate it, but thats pretty far out of my price range. sounds nice though.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

xshanex has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by shoes
Honestly, the 4cyl is not better on gas at all especially towing or with bigger tires. If you keep it stock, towing one bike might not be too bad.

friend had a 95 4 cyl wrangler on 33's and the gas mileage was horrible. It was also one of the slowest things I've ever driven and would lose speed going up hills on the freeway.....you'd have to downshift from 5th to 4th and would drop to a max speed of 60 sometimes. If you were to lift/tire upgrade correctly and change out the front and rear gears it would be much less of a problem but few people ever do lifts/tire upgrades "right." He would have had been better off with a 6 cyl. If you're not going to ever lift it a 4 cyl will haul a small bike trailer just fine. I've known of people with 4 cyl Toyota Paseos/corollas/camrys, Subarus and Honda Accords/civics that could trailer bikes ok.....not great but ok.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:00 AM
Jeep on the Beach

CNUmotorsports is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by onepointone
thats exactly what i wanted to know about the 4cyl. jeeps being a pos.
I wouldn't go that far. I've seen plenty of 4 cylinders that are plenty capable. The 4cyl. engine has plenty of power, its all about gearing. It really depends on what you want your jeep to do. Most of the guys that bash 4cyl. jeeps really only drive theirs on the highway and don't appreciate their trail performance. Of course a stock 4 cylinder won't compare to a stock 6 in a highway hill climb, but who would expect it to?

In 4LO on the trail I guarantee you won't see much of a performance difference from a 6cyl. You will be just as capable for any trail rides on the East Coast.

Its all about what you want to do with your Jeep. Your first post specified that you were only interested in highway use and for towing. So YES, you'd probably be happiest with a 6 cylinder. If you're taking long highway trips, I'd recommend a Hardtop as a must, or dual top option from the dealer. The noise level at 70mph in a soft top isn't the most pleasant for long trips, especially if you recieve any phone calls or want to have a conversation.

If you have your heart set on towing with a Wrangler, which isn't advised because of their short wheel base, Then I'd get an Unlimited or another Jeep vehicle actually made to tow trailers, etc.

Last edited by CNUmotorsports; 10-28-2005 at 10:16 AM.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:49 PM

aksjdhfjkasdhfl has disabled reputation

i get about 180 miles to a full tank with my 4cyl jeep wrangler..once it gets past about 65mph. it starts to eat gas..there not that powerful either, if your going to go with a wrangler, go with a 6cyl

Quick Reply: towing a bike or two with a 4cyl. wrangler?