Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

A shop that won't rob me?

Old 04-03-2007, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steveM has disabled reputation
Default A shop that won't rob me?

Here is what I was hoping to have done. I have the chance to buy a 1998 4x4 GMC 3500 van and another non- 4x4 van. The 4x4 one is scrapped, parts only no title. So, I want a shop/mechanic to pull the front axle, transfer case, drive shafts and all other 4x4 components from the one van and install it in the other.

Can anyone suggest a shop that won't rob me blind? A a great shadetree mechanic that could handle this job? Or if anyone on here could offer up a quote that would be great.

Time is critical, because I have to make this decision tonight.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Registered member

evan matthews has disabled reputation
Default Re: A shop that won't rob me?

Call Thurston Spring in Richmond. Talk to Aubrey. Tell him Evan with the black LX vert, black K5 told you to call. He should be able to do that. He's always been really good priced. 4 X 4 vans rawk!
Old 04-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by evan matthews
Call Thurston Spring in Richmond. Talk to Aubrey. Tell him Evan with the black LX vert, black K5 told you to call. He should be able to do that. He's always been really good priced. 4 X 4 vans rawk!
The Thurston spring at (804) 232-8981?

I was given a quote of $5k from one shop, but from what I understand this job shouldn't take more than 20-30 hours. One shop quoted me $3k for removing and replacing the entire drivetrain, which seemed a bit more reasonable.

I'll see what Thurston Spring has to say.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Registered Member

Here's my luck so far:nope, they don't do that type of work, $5,000 i supply an exact same 4x4 chassis, $9,000 they supply the parts or $3,000.

This job isn't supposed to take over 30 hours. At $60/hour that would be $1800. Someone out there must be able to do it for $1800?

Okay, I just emailed:mike.slater@verizon.net, Steve@jeepsxtreme.com, mike.previtire@apoffroadva.com, info@ironpigoffroad.com, info@4x4connection.com, brenton.ankofski@apoffroadva.com and dc4wd@hughes.net. Let's see if any reply and what prices they offer.

Last edited by steveM; 04-03-2007 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:54 AM
_______

_____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____

I honestly dont know any shops that charge $60 an hour. Most are $75 and up. And the reason they charge that is because they can. You obviously either cant or dont want to do the work so you are willing to pay someone else to do it for you.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Broke

QwkCoupe has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by steveM
Here is what I was hoping to have done. I have the chance to buy a 1998 4x4 GMC 3500 van and another non- 4x4 van. The 4x4 one is scrapped, parts only no title. So, I want a shop/mechanic to pull the front axle, transfer case, drive shafts and all other 4x4 components from the one van and install it in the other.

Can anyone suggest a shop that won't rob me blind? A a great shadetree mechanic that could handle this job? Or if anyone on here could offer up a quote that would be great.

Time is critical, because I have to make this decision tonight.
I know the 88-up GMS are IFS. Is the 4wd van IFS? Most 4x4 vans I've seen are aftermarket conversions with straight axles (not real familiar with GM vans). I doubt the 2wd frame is prepped for all 4wd stuff, it could turn into a shit load of work.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:46 PM
r0tard

Verbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these parts

I can do it, but it would have to be in my spare time. I won't give you a price without seeing what all is included.

Wouldn't it be easier to take the body off and drop it on the 4x4 chassis? Or is the 4x4 chassis toast?

WHat area are you in? That would help too......You can try Sean DeVinney @ aftermarket4x4 in chesapeake. If you got the money, he will make the time...(usually)

(FYI- I built the Zuk in my avatar, as well as, many other vehicles)
Old 04-03-2007, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

Here is what the current owner stated in an email:
"You can install all the 4wd components under another van and not use the frame from this van at all. Just swing the already engineered and fabricated suspension and driveline components into another van. Just swap everything in as assemblies. i.e rear axle with springs attached, front axle with steering and springs attached and then hang trans and transfer case on the back of the motor. install driveshafts and cut a hole in the floor for the transfer case handle. It would be straight forward and really not very demanding."

He makes it sound easy, but some shops make it sound like a nightmare. The suspension customization should already be done. The 4x4 donor van has a junked title and can't be title (at least no easily/legally) in VA due to this:

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/c...ohib_allow.asp

I'd love to "just swap the body", but I'm sure that is no easier or cheaper than swapping the 4x4 components. Plus I'm not sure of the engine condition.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by XratedSi
I can do it, but it would have to be in my spare time. I won't give you a price without seeing what all is included.

Wouldn't it be easier to take the body off and drop it on the 4x4 chassis? Or is the 4x4 chassis toast?
How much would you charge? One shop estimates 30 hours of labor, but they also couldn't be certain. Both vans would be the same year and model.

I'm still getting details about the chassis. I'll post more when I have them.
Old 04-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

10seclx 10seclx 10seclx 10seclx 10seclx 10seclx 10seclx 10seclx 10seclx 10seclx 10seclx

the vin is on the body not many people look at the vin on the frame so you can swap bodys and still title the 2 wdrive one.