Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

newbies

Old 05-20-2005, 05:24 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cbender311 has disabled reputation
Default newbies

i just got a 1994 jeep wrangler 5 speed. its the 4 cylinder model but its been babied and has only 41,000 original miles. its totally stock except for the stereo head unit that crapped out and i had to replace. i took it once to the peters mill trail down in george washington national forest area and had a blast there. it did pretty well for stock but some things were really sketch, what should i do to mod my jeep and get started in some more serious adventure?
Old 05-20-2005, 06:39 AM
poop

Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate
Default Re: newbies

uhm. suspension. i wouldn't go any bigger than like a 30 or 31 tire w/ the 4cyl. I had a 98 tj and it had 33x10.50s and a 3" body lift and my gas milage was HORRIBLE. unless you put some gears in it and lift it.

i mean.. i cant think of anything other than look into suspension? check out the links in the links post.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:24 AM
OBD II sucks

mudstuck98 is an unknown quantity at this point

- suspension lift (might need a slip yoke eliminator, depending on how high you wanna go)

- new tires (I would go with 33")

- If I were you I'd swap in a stronger rear axle if you plan on doing hardcore wheelin on a regular basis. Stock Dana-35's are plain garbage.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:08 PM
9 MPG isnt that bad!

Mkiii_Jetta has disabled reputation

skyjacker stage 2 suspenion lift
Old 05-20-2005, 07:33 PM
Registered Member

Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack

Originally Posted by mudstuck98
- suspension lift (might need a slip yoke eliminator, depending on how high you wanna go)

- If I were you I'd swap in a stronger rear axle if you plan on doing hardcore wheelin on a regular basis. Stock Dana-35's are plain garbage.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:04 AM
Registered Member

cbender311 has disabled reputation

thanks guys, and one more question, how great is the disadvantage of having the 4 cyl as opposed to the 6. does the six just have that much more torque
Old 05-21-2005, 08:29 AM
Go fuck yourself

nothing. nothing. nothing. nothing. nothing. nothing. nothing. nothing. nothing. nothing. nothing.

I'd take this mans advice..
Originally Posted by mudstuck98

My old 4cyl 89 wrangler on 33"s with a 3" body lift could have climbed up a wall. I fucking loved that thing.

Gas mileage was shitty though (as expected) 9-12mpg on a good day.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:20 AM
poop

Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate Crate

ya, its not that the 4banger wasn't capabable. It just guzzeld gas w/ the 33s and no gears.
Old 05-21-2005, 12:30 PM
enya mouf

DeezUU DeezUU DeezUU DeezUU DeezUU DeezUU DeezUU DeezUU DeezUU DeezUU DeezUU

I'll say . Mine is an '89 4cyl w/33"s .... she's a thirsty beast ! If I'm correct , though .... the newer ones aren't TBI , but are TPI . ( actually , I'm pretty sure of it ) . Both of my old TJs ( 97 & 2K1 ) were 4cyls with 33"s at one time and neither were that much worse than stock at the gas pump . I think it was because of the factory 4cyl gearing ( 4.10s ) . At highway speed with the stockers .... I was at some serious revvage when doing 65mph !

The 4 popper will save you alot of axle damage ( unless you really hammer on it ) and you should get away with the factory axles for a while .... but like mudstuck said .... be on the hunt for some beef !! either the Super35 setup or some 44s if you plan on gettin nasty .

BTW .... nuttin wrong with a little 4 banger action . Peeps will bash you for buying one , but for the money saved ... its a hardcore little engine ! And tough as nails . ( and replacements are relitavely cheap )
Old 05-22-2005, 07:24 AM
OBD II sucks

mudstuck98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DeezUU

BTW .... nuttin wrong with a little 4 banger action . Peeps will bash you for buying one , but for the money saved ... its a hardcore little engine ! And tough as nails . ( and replacements are relitavely cheap )
I have a 4 banger in my XJ. Lots of people joke that motor but your right, that is one tough little motor. Its all about the gears. A 4-banger is fine as long as you have a decent gear ratio. I wanna get some 4.88's on mine

Quick Reply: newbies