Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

last question about samurais

Old 02-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh
Default last question about samurais

alright, ive been doing some research on these and found out basically everything i need to know, except one huge question.

im coming down to the point where im about to either a) get a sami and see what happens with my "situation" or b) forget it and look for something more suitable

first complication:
-most of yall know, i live in chesapeake and am a freshman at radford univ (right by va tech).
-its a long drive with plenty of uphills on I81 which people rarely go under 75mph with a lot of 18wheelers. and ill be making this drive a lot of times

next complication:
-if i get a sami itll probably be the 1.3 carb'd and at best, the efi version. i doubt i could find a v6/diesel/1.6 swapped one. at best ill probably do minor mods like a pacesetter header, intake, etc.
-also, it wont be stock. ill probably put 33s on it and a yj lift. possibly new gears (~5.12s? to compensate for the tires) and all the small stuff that comes along with it.

so basically, will a 1.3L sami with 33's and a lift be able to keep up good enough on the interstate where noone goes under 70 and theres tons of 18wheelers?

im not really as concerned with creature comforts like ac, ride quality obviously as i will keep the SS and use the sami for a college car and beating the shit out of it on the weekends up here.

ive got plenty of time, and a little over 4k to spend depending on if the rents decide to loan me money.

*i know this question is pretty subjective but ive never driven a sami past 40mph and it was stock, so i have no idea how a modd'd one would take to a big interstate. im really willing to make sacrafices to own one of these but some things i just cant do

thanks for any help
Old 02-27-2008, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

broncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: last question about samurais

yeah, it will be fine. just do the 5.12 or 5.38s with 32s or 33s and the yj kit. it will ride smooth with the yj kit on it. but it will def. do around 70
Old 02-27-2008, 01:44 PM
GLHF

WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo

i wouldn't drive it to and from radford if i was you, that would be a shitty ass drive... i had a sami with yj's, 31's, 16 valve, and 6.5 to 1 t case, and the fastest I ever got it was MAYBE 80, once. i would hate to drive back and forth to radford with one...
Old 02-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Registered member

catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh

Originally Posted by broncomx
yeah, it will be fine. just do the 5.12 or 5.38s with 32s or 33s and the yj kit. it will ride smooth with the yj kit on it. but it will def. do around 70
Originally Posted by WutupYo
i wouldn't drive it to and from radford if i was you, that would be a shitty ass drive... i had a sami with yj's, 31's, 16 valve, and 6.5 to 1 t case, and the fastest I ever got it was MAYBE 80, once. i would hate to drive back and forth to radford with one...
i really appreciate yalls opinions, and both of yall are right. its up to the owner on what is suitable and do-able. theres no wrong answer

let it be known that its a 5 hour drive if you dont stop, through yorktown, richmond, lexington, roanoke, and blacksburg. then its going to sit in my apartments parking lot when not in use.

as for gas mileage, im not too concerned, and i know nothing lifted is going to be good, but ive heard 33s with 5.12s and possibly a different t-case gear will be turning 4,000rpms at 65mph. thats like the bare ass minimum that you can drive 81 without being killed.

keep them coming, please.

wheather or not i get one basically depends on this thread
Old 02-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

broncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond reputebroncomx has a reputation beyond repute

I drove from Rahlieh (sp) N.C. Back to Virginia Beach in October in my sammi. I have 33 inch claws yj lift and 5.12 gears. with a 1.3. efi. Also a locker in the rear. And it was no problem at all. Also I only had one shock in the front. If your working with 4k to spend you could easily find yourself some with that the set up you want already to go. Check out Aftermarket4x4.com(local) or Zuwharrie.com for some used sammi's for sale.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:11 PM
bearded warrior

keepit88 is on a distinguished road

dude, i daily drive mine. its on 33's. its stock 1.3 that is carb'd. it will do 70. i have driven it from vb to gloucester a number of times. the only thing i see being a problem would be the hills.

unless like Brandon said. put 5.38's in the axles. i had 5.12's and it would still slow down on big hills. or get one thats swapped already. if you have got that much to spend there are a few around here for near that

my opinion is either 33's, 5.38 gears and hope you got a strong running 1.3 or get one with a 16v and do 33's and something like 4.62's. i wouldnt really put a t case in it. i had 5.12s when i put a geared t case in. and it ended up being WAY too much gear. as in the motor got spun up too quick on the highway. ie: barely 60mph but already at 4000rpm's.

dude, i have daily driven a samurai for the past 4 or more years. so i already know what your worried about with interstate driving.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:14 PM
bearded warrior

keepit88 is on a distinguished road

I drove from Rahlieh (sp) N.C. Back to Virginia Beach in October in my sammi. I have 33 inch claws yj lift and 5.12 gears. with a 1.3. efi. Also a locker in the rear. And it was no problem at all. Also I only had one shock in the front. If your working with 4k to spend you could easily find yourself some with that the set up you want already to go. Check out Aftermarket4x4.com(local) or Zuwharrie.com for some used sammi's for sale.
haha he actually has my old daily driver zuk. i know Sean at Aftermarket4x4 can build to suit or has maybe something already set up that you would like. and there is a few on Zuwharrie.com that might really strike your interest with the mods you want.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by keepit88
haha he actually has my old daily driver zuk. i know Sean at Aftermarket4x4 can build to suit or has maybe something already set up that you would like. and there is a few on Zuwharrie.com that might really strike your interest with the mods you want.
Yes and it rides so nice

Your going to zuwharrie this year right????
Old 02-27-2008, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

Here I found you a really kickass sammy already to go for 4g's probuly the best one Ive seen in awhile

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/car/577010854.html
Old 02-27-2008, 02:39 PM
Registered member

cool, im not sure how hilly that trip was, but its good to know it can be done.

ive already talked to divinney a pretty good amount, and possibly am going to check out a 88.5 stock one that ive already driven. hes definitely the authority on these. im also registered on zuwharrie and im checking that site pretty often

Originally Posted by keepit88
dude, i daily drive mine. its on 33's. its stock 1.3 that is carb'd. it will do 70. i have driven it from vb to gloucester a number of times. the only thing i see being a problem would be the hills.

unless like Brandon said. put 5.38's in the axles. i had 5.12's and it would still slow down on big hills. or get one thats swapped already. if you have got that much to spend there are a few around here for near that

my opinion is either 33's, 5.38 gears and hope you got a strong running 1.3 or get one with a 16v and do 33's and something like 4.62's. i wouldnt really put a t case in it. i had 5.12s when i put a geared t case in. and it ended up being WAY too much gear. as in the motor got spun up too quick on the highway. ie: barely 60mph but already at 4000rpm's.

dude, i have daily driven a samurai for the past 4 or more years. so i already know what your worried about with interstate driving.

so im thinking now with 33's and 5.12s it would be a struggle to get it up to radford. with teh 5.38s it should do better, but what type of rpm's could i expect at around 70mph?

also keep in mind, this isnt a one trip thing... im going to have to drive it back and forth probably once every months.

the good news is that that drive is as bas as it well get. at radford the speed limit is mostly 25, and going to tech and ferrum (girlfriend) its all back roads.

back in chesapeake the worst it will see is 64/264

im really really wanting one, and honestly nothing else is comparable offroad for the money, i just need to be positive itll make the drive

thanks again

Last edited by catfSSh; 02-27-2008 at 02:43 PM.

Quick Reply: last question about samurais