Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

Ford Powerstroke Tranny Advice

Old 07-30-2008, 03:55 AM
429-no boost needed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
69muscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ford Powerstroke Tranny Advice

Just looking for some advice or any expericiences any of you guys have had....

I've got a '99 Ford F-250 with the 7.3 PSD.

**4R100 Automatic Trans.

the tranny is slipping in and out of overdrive, and when i removed the pan and filter, both were packed with metal shavings. I've called around and the general word that i'm getting is that my O/D pinion or what not is going.

when i bought the truck it allegedly had 6-pinion billett steel planetaries and billett steel torque converter.

also note that the truck is heavily modified so im leaning towards going with an aftermarket performance transmission and just canning the whole idea of the going back to a stock one.

its lifted with 38's, performance chip, exhaust, injectors, intake, and a few other minor things. its got plenty of power and this whole problem didnt start happening until i went to nags head in june and drove on the beach for 3 days.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP/ADVICE.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:09 AM
Carolina Kracker

quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26
Default Re: Ford Powerstroke Tranny Advice

those trannys are trash unless properly built. go to powerstroke.org and do some reading. there is more than enough info on there about your issue. another good one is powerstrokenation.com

in a stock truck they are fine, but once you start modding and playing you have trouble.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:38 AM
Registered Member

Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack

Put a 6 speed in it. I spent 7 months looking for my truck until i found a 6 speed for that very reason, the autos are junk.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Carolina Kracker

quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26 quick26

dont put that 6 speed in it, spend the money, get it built and be done with it.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:06 PM
Banned

UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn

Originally Posted by quick26
dont put that 6 speed in it, spend the money, get it built and be done with it.
+1 on that one I hate a MT unless it is in a sports car. But I know some people that will take care of you very well. I got a local shop to (supposedly) build me a good 4r100 and needless to say it was in and out of my truck 3 times before I just sent it to the dealer to get a new one put in it so I could sell my truck. BTS will build you a trans that they will stand behind 100%!!!!!!!!!!! They are the best and I dont know of anyone yet that has bought one that was not happy with it. http://www.btstransmissions.com/ GL and trust me everyone on powerstrokenation and the dieselstop will tell you the same. O and when you buy one brian is going to tell you to try and break it.

Last edited by UrGrlGveMeDkBrn; 07-30-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Registered member

slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx

+1 on putting a built one in it. Those factory ones suck.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:11 PM
Carolina Kracker

suncoast was suppose to have a decent one as well
Old 07-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Banned

UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn

Originally Posted by quick26
suncoast was suppose to have a decent one as well
Suncoast is a ok semi built trans. They dont use bullit internals like a bts or a john woods trans(also another known builder for the 4r100) would have. They use standard alto red eagle clutches with the expansion pack(extra clutches) shift kit ect. ect. ect..... Also there are only 2 comp. that make aftermarket performance clutches for the 4r100.Alto red eagle and the blue raybestos. And you can get a triple disk converter from suncoast.The suncoast trans is going to run you 2.5-3k for the trans w/o the converter.The converter I think is around another grand. A BTS or john woods was around 4k with the converter the last time I checked and that was a year ago or so when I was building mine.I spent over 4-5k building mine because I had to keep on taking it out and paying to fix things that should have been fixed right the first time(nothing against twisted diesel) . The bottom line is that you will get what you pay for and do it right the first time if you want a bad ass one.Also I know a few people running around with the suncoast trans( most of the twisted diesel boys that have aftermarket trans have suncoast) but I have ridden in both trucks(BTS, suncoast and john woods) . And the bts trans feels much more firm and solid than the suncoast and the john woods trans. My choice if I had to do it again would be BTS,JW, And then suncoast.Also you prob ran it hot and that is what fucked up your trans. Heat will kill these things really really fast. When you get your trans deff upgrade to a trans tep gauge and a 6.0 trans cooler and a mag tech pan. It will help out with the temps a whole hell of a lot. GL and pm me if you have any more questions. I have spent many many hrs reading up on the 4r100

Here is a pic of my old PSD for shits and giggles

Last edited by UrGrlGveMeDkBrn; 07-30-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:40 AM
Registered member

slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx slowrx

The kid who bought your truck is ruining it.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:56 AM
429-no boost needed

69muscle is an unknown quantity at this point

WOW....thanks for all of the help guys. i'm most likely going to go ahead and bite the bullet so i dont have to pull it 2,3, or 4 times before its right. the good thing is that my dad has a shop so all of the labor can be done free. but i'm going to look up those companies ya'll mentioned and go with one of those. i know i can get a stock tranny from Jasper for 2100 bucks. but i'd rather spend another grand or so and get one that i know will hold up.

my truck only has 140K miles on it and the trans was supposedly redone at 117K miles (by the previous owner). so i think its just got too much power for the stock junk thats in it. thanks for all of the help.

once i save up some $$ i'll keep everyone updated on the status.

thanks again.

Quick Reply: Ford Powerstroke Tranny Advice