Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

diesel tuners

Old 04-17-2007, 02:27 PM
The Pro to call.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic
Default Re: diesel tuners

Originally Posted by nismo300zr2
which edge stuff? attitude? A2? whats the new one evolution or revolution?

mainly im using the truck to tow my flatbed with a car to events about twice a month. i may go to the dragstrip once just to check it out but not concerned with making the truck a hot rod.

basically looking to increase mpg for everyday use and then have the ability to switch for more towing power.

i tried the bully tri b4 you buy flash for +70 hp and it was a noticable difference and gave me 1-2 more mpg.

i'd just like to hear more 'real world' use and comments before i pick one.

you bought an HD truck for towing, dont expect to get good mileage. not driving them hard is the main killer of a diesel.

the 05 24v's are a damn stout engine, if you need more power than you need a bigger truck. i pull a 15k 5th wheel at 70mph with an 01 24v, pass everything but a fuel station. average 8-10mpg pulling a huge ass brick, 14-16 empty. every 03-05 i service will see 16-18mpg empty if its an auto, 18-22 if its a sixer and has a good driver.

seriously, i have seen nothing but problems come out of 98% of tuners out there. if you want hp, get a gas truck. if you want a truck that will pull the gates off hell, keep a diesel and treat it right. the most i advise people to do to them is the exhaust (i usually keep a 4-5" on most of them, if nothing else they sound wicked as shit) a good set of gauges or some monitoring system, and of course changing the auto trucks to an HX instead of the HY that is on them stock.

btw....i HIGHLY rec. running some B5 if available, if you cant get some Stanadyne and run it in your fuel. ULSD is KILLING inj. pumps and injectors left and right. if we dont have at least one fuel issue a week on a diesel, something is wrong.

Originally Posted by Bandit
i have an 02 duramax with an edge, and absolutely love it.

try www.trediesel.com they deal with dodges
say buh-bye to your injectors. the injection pressures are high enough stock, add in an increase in on time, and they fail alot more than they do stock.

of course, injectors are weak on them anyway, all depending on the year. i dont advise running it, but if you do, know they are just as notorious for having piston issues that the LS gassers do.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

2k929 has disabled reputation

+1 for Rave and the SCT!
Look into the live wire
Old 04-17-2007, 04:18 PM
Who's this guy?

Bandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond reputeBandit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fc735
say buh-bye to your injectors. the injection pressures are high enough stock, add in an increase in on time, and they fail alot more than they do stock.

of course, injectors are weak on them anyway, all depending on the year. i dont advise running it, but if you do, know they are just as notorious for having piston issues that the LS gassers do.
just had a set of injectors replaced under the "special policy" before the edge. i am aware of the problems, did pleanty of research before even touching the truck(ok...i take that back, it had an intake and i hacked the muffler 2 weeks after i got it lol)
Old 04-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Show-lo car

nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2

[QUOTE=fc735;2987477]you bought an HD truck for towing, dont expect to get good mileage. not driving them hard is the main killer of a diesel.
i want to get good mileage when i want to. (when im not romping on it to make a pass or get up a hill)
the 05 24v's are a damn stout engine, if you need more power than you need a bigger truck.
the power i want is just to be able to pass quicker, and make it up hills eaisier. i dont 'need' any more power to pull what im pulling.
i pull a 15k 5th wheel at 70mph with an 01 24v, pass everything but a fuel station. average 8-10mpg pulling a huge ass brick, 14-16 empty. every 03-05 i service will see 16-18mpg empty if its an auto, 18-22 if its a sixer and has a good driver.
i get @21 empty and 17towing. 6spd
seriously, i have seen nothing but problems come out of 98% of tuners out there. if you want hp, get a gas truck. if you want a truck that will pull the gates off hell, keep a diesel and treat it right.
im not trying to build a dyno queen or 1/4 mi truck. nor one to pull my house off foundation. just a little more to have it.
the most i advise people to do to them is the exhaust (i usually keep a 4-5" on most of them, if nothing else they sound wicked as shit) a good set of gauges or some monitoring system, and of course changing the auto trucks to an HX instead of the HY that is on them stock.
i am running a straight thru 5" turbo back. looking for a monitor now
btw....i HIGHLY rec. running some B5 if available, if you cant get some Stanadyne and run it in your fuel. ULSD is KILLING inj. pumps and injectors left and right. if we dont have at least one fuel issue a week on a diesel, something is wrong.
what is B5? i am running power service diesel kleen, the silver with cetane. is that the same as what you are talking about?
of course, injectors are weak on them anyway, all depending on the year. i dont advise running it, but if you do, know they are just as notorious for having piston issues that the LS gassers do

im also thinking about running a FASS for the injector issues. is what im hearing right about it helping injector longevity?

thanks for the details and enlightment on whats coming thru (your shop?)
Old 04-18-2007, 03:10 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

B5= biodiesel at a 5% mix. usually about 20cents more a gallon, but the added lubricity is worth it. most Cetane boosters (including the one you listed) have ethanol or methanol in them at some concentration. that is added to help dry out fuel. however, alcohol absorbs the moisture, causing the water to go straight through the fuel filter and into the injectors. most damage i've seen is on the 7.3 powerstrokes when people dont use an OE fuel filter that will shed the water, but it can happen on the B series also.

the ONLY brand of fuel treatment/cetane booster/lubricity additive i recommend is Stanadyne, due to the fact it has no alcohol in it at all, and it has the best lubricity of all i have seen.

Originally Posted by Bandit
just had a set of injectors replaced under the "special policy" before the edge. i am aware of the problems, did pleanty of research before even touching the truck(ok...i take that back, it had an intake and i hacked the muffler 2 weeks after i got it lol)

that works, it sucks that alot of trucks are coming out of the campaign mileage, and now i have to start doing alot of them that we used to send off to be covered. gotta love GM and their nice issues with diesel fuel systems, anyone remember the lovely 6.5's?

most of the duramaxi that we have come in are in 4500 and 6500 trucks, but we still have about 10 in 2500HD and 3500's that are in on a regular basis. one customer has a 2500HD with dual exhaust through flowmasters
Old 04-18-2007, 06:06 AM
Show-lo car

nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2 nismo300zr2

well its nice to hear most of your probs are with the ferds and duramax's at least
Old 04-18-2007, 09:06 AM
The Pro to call.

yep. rare to have many issues with a B series, aside from lift pumps and rebuilding heads at 160k.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Show-lo car

about to hit 50K. looong way to go. ill keep things as mint as i can till then.
Is FASS worth the money you think for the light mods im doing/have done? help the lift pump problem at all?
Old 04-20-2007, 03:54 AM
The Pro to call.

nothing really helps the issues with lift pumps, but something to monitor fuel pressure is always nice. i install a pretty simple idiot light on most of my customers trucks that is cheap and effective.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Is Watching You

litlespicisgay is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah the folks out at Twisted are good people. A custom tune SCT is one of my few doo dads i have. Oh yeah and i am back in a ford again.

Quick Reply: diesel tuners