Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

Dies when put in gear and other issues...

Old 02-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Slow ass car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mongoose87 has disabled reputation
Default Dies when put in gear and other issues...

Haven't delved in to it here so I know it could be many a problem right now... 84 CJ-7 with a 4.2L with a 2 bbl Weber carb... emissions crap all pulled off.

Took it through a fair amount of water, got the distributor wet a few times and had to take the cap off and dry it. Also stalled it once in about 2.5 feet of water but was able to get it started and out after about 15 seconds of sitting. After that I got the dist wet one more time and after I got it dried off the throttle stuck and i had to shut it down. Got the throttle unstuck and started it; Would run perfect but about every 30-45 seconds it would just die as if someone turned it off but would start right back up so I figured I got some water in the tank. Did that about 3 times before I decided to try driving it back.

Well, it would do the same thing while driving. Run perfect for about 45 seconds then take a shit on itself for about 2 seconds then run great again. It was running low on gas so I stopped at the nearest station and filled it up. I then drove it 100 miles without any issues until I got within a a couple miles of the house where it did the take a crap on itself thing a couple times.

Well I decided to take it to a buddies house about 3 miles from my place that night because I was going to stop by the local pressure washing place and clean it up. It died at every light on the way there and I had to put in neutral and keep the revs up a little to prevent it from dying. Once I got to his house it died and wouldn't start. Got it towed home. I've started it a couple times this week and it will start and it idles fine but as soon as I put it in gear it dies. If I bump the revs up a bit and put it in gear it will still die. Whadya think? I haven't done anything to it like test the fuel pressure or check spark, or look for a loose wire, or look for a missing vacuum line. just wanted to get some ideas before I tear in to it.

Now I am pretty mechanically inclined, I do all of my own work, but keep in mind that this is my first carb and I admittedly know nothing about carbs. Thanks for any feed back/flaming/unrelated comments that bump my thread.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-
Default Re: Dies when put in gear and other issues...

Sounds like a fuel problem if you fill the tank up to full have no problems, run a 100 miles and then start having problems.

But I'm just taking a stab at it.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Slow ass car

It has a full tank in it right now.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:26 PM
In TATTRAT we trust

BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE

check that your floats aren't stuck in the carb. That would be where i would start. I'm rusty on carb language, but while you have the air filter and everything off the top have a buddy start it up and use a flashlight to check how well the fuel is going into the carb.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:44 PM
GLHF

WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo

LEARN CARBS!

That way I can come to you when I get the weber for my truck
Old 02-25-2009, 03:44 AM
Slow ass car

Yeah, I think I'm gonna go ahead and rebuild the carb... anyone have any idea where I can buy a rebuild kit locally?
Old 02-25-2009, 05:43 AM
In TATTRAT we trust

BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE BOREDOMRULE

Originally Posted by Mongoose87
Yeah, I think I'm gonna go ahead and rebuild the carb... anyone have any idea where I can buy a rebuild kit locally?
Napa, Autozone, Advance...any parts store should be able to locate that particular kit. You may need the serial number off the carb to make sure its correct. Check jcwhitney.com as well. Just make sure you get the correct kit for the carb you have.

Rebuilding them is fairly easy. Invest in a magnetic parts bowl (lots of small parts) and a bottle of liquid carb cleaner (to clean everything with). Use an old tooth brush and some pipe cleaners to clean each chamber out. Take your time and keep up with what you take apart. Shouldn't take more then a few hours to accomplish a complete break down and rebuild.