Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

bronco gearing question

Old 12-14-2010, 05:15 PM
ig oggggg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15
Default Re: bronco gearing question

Originally Posted by OverEasy
Cheap-Fast-Reliable, pick 2, and it won't be the 3rd.

Couldn't have said it any better!

No such thing as overkill! You need a 60 front and a 14bolt rear! FTW!!!! Nahh j/k.

All depends on how serious you plan on getting with this thing. You gonna keep it a while? If your planning on swapping out the front axle setup, while your at it you could always upgrade the rear as well. No need to do things twice. (As far as keeping the rear, re gearing, then changing out the rear and having to redo it all over again if something breaks.)

Keep in mind your new to the sport and mud is fun now, what if it spawns to the trail riding side? I build for a good all round wheeler. That way whatever I come across it will handle it. I like a well rounded rig though.
i would like a well rounded rig as well, i just tend to be in mud more than trails..but i have done both

would the 4.88's be a happy medium for the two??
Old 12-14-2010, 06:39 PM
Suzuki Fanboi

OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy

You can ask 100 people this and get 100 reasons why or why not it would be.

As for me, that's prob. the ratio I would shoot for if it were mine. It should pull the tires fine and do well in the mud / dirt. Plus you have to think about low range. With geared axles it will help in 4wd as well.

As for me, I'm more into rocks and am building my Samurai more for them. I'm trying now to find tracker / sidekick center sections because they have a 5.32(or close to that). I'm wanting the 5.32s axle gears with 6.5 tcase gears. Extreme low without doubling the cases. But for me, I've been wheeling my own truck for 15 years now. I tend to find myself in tight rocky spots more than anything else now.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:44 PM

actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball

My $.03: Do it right the first time. Dana 60 kingpin front and your choice of one ton rear (dana 60, 14 bolt ect...) Don't mess with 3/4 ton stuff. I went through stock, then 1/2 ton then 3/4 ton stuff and just wasted money and time...I blew out spider gears, twisted shafts, chipped ring gears and broke lockers....I learned the hard way. You can find the one ton drivetrain with stock 4:56 gearing and this should be good for all around wheeling and road use with a 36" to 40" tire range. I also prefer a good solid and proven full detroit locker...

Take it for what it's worth...
Old 12-15-2010, 07:30 PM
ig oggggg

yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15

Originally Posted by actionpaintball
My $.03: Do it right the first time. Dana 60 kingpin front and your choice of one ton rear (dana 60, 14 bolt ect...) Don't mess with 3/4 ton stuff. I went through stock, then 1/2 ton then 3/4 ton stuff and just wasted money and time...I blew out spider gears, twisted shafts, chipped ring gears and broke lockers....I learned the hard way. You can find the one ton drivetrain with stock 4:56 gearing and this should be good for all around wheeling and road use with a 36" to 40" tire range. I also prefer a good solid and proven full detroit locker...

Take it for what it's worth...
is the one ton swaps fairly simple?
or are they a bit more complicated than the 3/4 ton stuff??

sorry for all the questions ha
Old 12-16-2010, 05:17 AM

actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball

The 3/4 ton straight axle swap should be identical to the one ton swap with minor variations and actually more option to steering and drag link attachment. There is alot of good stuff out there for kingpin hi steer because of upper bolt pattern on the kingpin knuckles or you can use the factory cast locations on the side of the passenger side knuckle.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:26 AM
######

L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K

You would be fine with 4.56's. Going to cut on your gas mileage a bit, but If your not to worried about that go for it.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:31 AM
Registered Member

Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack Zack

Originally Posted by actionpaintball
The 3/4 ton straight axle swap should be identical to the one ton swap with minor variations and actually more option to steering and drag link attachment. There is alot of good stuff out there for kingpin hi steer because of upper bolt pattern on the kingpin knuckles or you can use the factory cast locations on the side of the passenger side knuckle.
A coil sprung dana 44 swap from a 70s f150/bronco into the front of a IFS bronco is practically bolt in, people have done it 10000 times. A leaf sprung dana 60 is 3 times the amount of work. Sorry, its not nearly identical with minor variations, you are changing the complete front suspension from coils to leafs, on top of many other changes. You can get flat top knuckles for a 44 and have just as many steering options. Not everyone needs 1 tons.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by Zack
A coil sprung dana 44 swap from a 70s f150/bronco into the front of a IFS bronco is practically bolt in, people have done it 10000 times. A leaf sprung dana 60 is 3 times the amount of work. Sorry, its not nearly identical with minor variations, you are changing the complete front suspension from coils to leafs, on top of many other changes. You can get flat top knuckles for a 44 and have just as many steering options. Not everyone needs 1 tons.
Who said leafs? Leafs are an option and so are four links. Honestly-I guess it depends on the skill level of the person swapping...its no big deal either way to me. If you find yourself progressively rebuilding your rig and challenging yourself offroad, you will eventually benefit from one tons (and possible shaft and spline upgrades, outter stub swaps) and save alot of time and money to do it in the first major build in my opinion unless you are wheelin' a lighter non-fullsize rig. Like any advice...its my opinion. There are lost of bolt in options either way you go if you are limited on money, tools or skills (especially welding). The one good thing is that either route you choose-its been done 1000 times and there are write ups everywhere.

Just gather all the info you can and apply it to what you are going to use your rig for, I just wish that I did not take so many rebuild steps with my first wheeling project....I would have more money on my pocket and spent more time on the trails.
Old 12-31-2010, 06:29 AM
gone

lim_fc3vert lim_fc3vert lim_fc3vert lim_fc3vert lim_fc3vert

This should help... Stock tire size/gearing is 31 and 3.55(most of the time..). Stay in the black or blue.
Note: This chart is based on engine rpm at 65 mph with the transmission in a 1:1 gear ratio (Third with a three-speed manual, Fourth with a four-speed manual, or Third with an Automatic). Remember, the actual rpm indicated in the chart will be slightly higher (between 100 and 300 rpm) on vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission. This is due to the slip present in an auto transmission's torque converter.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:31 AM
B20 VTEC

frankinstine has disabled reputation

you would need to check the axle code on the door or on the diffs. more than likely you have 3.55 open diffs. in order to figure out what gearing you need based on tire size. you take the new tire size you want to go to devide by stock multiply buy stock gear and that will tell the gearing you need to swap to. example 33 devided by 31 x 3.55 = 3.77 that would be the new gear ratio based on new tire size inorder to preform like stock on that tire size. lets say your bronco is set up like mine stock and you want to go to 38's it would be 38 devided by 31 x 3.55 = 4.35 that would be what it need to drive, accel, and preform just like stock and possably not be off in terms of speedo to much from stock for tire size. take it from a ford certified tech thats how you figure out what gear you need for tire size difference overe stock

Last edited by frankinstine; 01-16-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply: bronco gearing question